Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 19-11-2015, 06:28 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogenblue
vegetarianism and veganism are natural steps in the evolution of people.

This has been my experience spiritually as well.
Old 20-11-2015, 09:56 AM
Experiencer
I do find that with a plant based diet it has been easier for me to develop a more friendly relationship with animals, birds in particular.
Since a few years I feed the birds in my garden and they, as well as I, appreciate that very much. When I still used meat that just didn't happen. I wasn't really open for that back then.

It's also easier for me to critize the meat industry because I am not a hypocrite if I do so. But I mainly use health arguments to critize using meat. Especially in one on one talks with people from my own age I usually get the other silent with the benefits I regained from eating only plant based food: no more heartburn, improved digestion, joints regained excellent flexibility, no more joint inflammations, improved mood and feeling of well being. Those are benefits that I clearly experienced from the change in my diet. I don't think it changes their attitude or diet very much, but at least I win the argument..
Old 20-11-2015, 12:00 PM
Deactivated Account
I've recently made the transition to veganism and it's something I'm very happy about. I've gone backwards and forwards from omni to veggie for much of my life due to being torn between my desire to be vegetarian for the animals sake, and needing to be as well as possible due to having chronic health conditions. I appreciate everyone's path is different, but for me, finding a path that ensured I did not end up in a worse state of health than I already am was just as important as considering the ethics of animal welfare. Maybe that's hypocritical of me, but it's the truth.

Anyhow, I have made the transition and discovered that as long as I'm very careful to keep my protein intake at a good level, my health isn't any worse and so far I have seen improvements in various symptoms. I don't get so many migraines and I don't get gastritis after nearly every meal like I used to. I am very addicted to sugar and in the past I may have eaten too many empty calories meaning that I wasn't eating enough protein. As long as I am careful, my body seems happy. I eat lots of legumes, grains, nuts, seeds and of course vegetables. I can't tolerate much fruit.

Compared to a non-vegan lifestyle, I feel so much happier. After doing more research on the animal industry it wasn't hard to make the leap from omni to veggie to vegan. Eating eggs supports the killing of unwanted chicks plus cows are kept impregnated to produce milk, then their calves are taken away. I don't want any part of it anymore. I'm slowly trying to change my toiletries, clothing, footwear etc but it has to be a process, one bit at a time.

I don't find a vegan diet to be boring. Far from it. It's much more interesting to me as I can work with a variety of colours, textures and tastes which is so much more creative than relying on a chuck of meat or a boiled egg. It's an endless sea of discovery as far as I'm concerned. And nothing is better than knowing I've made the best decision for myself, the animals and the planet. Whether this works for everyone remains to be seen. I don't like to assume everyone can tolerate a vegan diet. When my digestive system was shot to pieces I couldn't tolerate many legumes but slowly it is healing through probiotic supplements and taking stock of the stress in my life. Some people might feel the need for animal products and that's a reality I don't like to ignore because I understand the issues involved. All any of us can do is the best we can with our level of consciousness.
Old 20-11-2015, 03:23 PM
Master
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi
About three and a half years ago there were some profound and beautiful experiences I had which showed me that an animal is a Soul equal to myself. Yes....different intelligence, different intellectual abilities, different world view and concepts, and even different in the afterlife to many Souls who have inhabited human bodies. But on Soul level -equal, and worthy of my deepest respect, and dearest Love. Some have even more capacity for unconditional Love than some humans.
It was that living knowledge through this world and the worlds of Spirit that made me become vegan.

Wow, beautiful experience Tobi - I like this share :) If we were all more conscious of the Soul quality in animals, and plants too, and actually everything, we would eat with a lot more reverence and gratitude, don't you think?

I have two apple trees in my backyard and yesterday I was raking up all the dropped apples from one and ate an apple off the other. To the first I apologized that we were too slow in picking the fruit, but that it would serve its purpose in the compost. To the other I thanked the tree for its fruit. It made the eating experience more of a sacred event, which I think it ought it to.
Old 20-11-2015, 06:30 PM
Master

A lot of heartening posts in this thread. Well done everyone.

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 29-06-2018, 07:28 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceChic99
I am just posting this because I'm curious about how a Vegan and Non-Vegan's lifestyles are different. (I'm non-vegan by the way) I have heard about PETA's vegetarian campaign, but I'm just curious about how they differ and how they are similar.
The way of life becomes saturated. Vegans are full of energy.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:36 PM
Experiencer

I've been a vegan for 11 years now, a course I chose solely for the sake of the animals. I am a 'forever vegan' as the images of the victims are burned into my brain and I chose not to be the source of more of that suffering. I've been reading this thread with interest as I see that some here have the same feelings that I do on the matter. However, there have also been some points made by others that I think need a little clarifying and perhaps correction.

Whether a person uses toilet paper or not.....has nothing to do with being a vegan. Being a vegan is never going to bring 100% success at not bringing harm to someone. We are a large, invasive species and so that would be an impossibility. But being a vegan is about making the effort to NEVER be the deliberate cause of harm to those other beings who live here with us.

Considering that 56 billion animals are born and slaughtered every year, the greatest benefit and stand against cruelty anyone can make is to become a vegan. To make that effort to not be part of that level of suffering is the epitome of Love for they are Us. And the notion that buying from a farmer that did not abuse them, being a 'better' way is one taken which makes a concerted effort to ignore the obvious. That being, that they are taken from their homes where at least they have the solace of familiarity, to a place that reeks of blood and death and fear and will be both terrified and hurt most grievously. Whether you buy meat from a neighbour or have chickens in your backyard, there is suffering involved. There is no such thing as Happy Meat, it's merely a marketing ploy that seems to work on many.

It's been said that veganism is a religion to some, but that's wrong and no vegan would ever agree to that. Veganism is a social justice cause just like being against slavery or any genocide of people. It is a desire to offer mercy and fairness and justice to the other beings who live here with us. To cast it as a religion is, in my opinion, an effort to denigrate the love and emotions that move those of us who've chosen this road in life. 'Religion' has a different focus and is frankly more about one's self and one's own future existence. Veganism is entirely about our fellow journeyers and their lives and their safety Now. My 'veganism' is a gift that I give to THEM.

I would imagine too, that some here would typify my close adherence to this lifestyle as exemplifying an attitude of being 'holier than thou'. Some might even call me a 'vegan poser' and accuse me of a pretence of being more loving....... Let me ask you, in any other discussion, what would you call people who make such a major all encompassing change in their life....for the sake of someone else? Someone who will never say thanks, who'll never give me a 'payback' for my decision?

The other side of that question is to wonder about the decision of those who decide to make no changes for those victims despite knowing about their pain. I think too on this issue, it's a shame that some might feel that they have to apologize for caring and for 'speaking up now and again'. In which other issue of morality, does anyone apologize for 'loving'? I will never apologize for speaking up for any victim, be they human or animal. Again, they are Us and would you not want someone to speak up for you if you were being made to suffer needlessly?

Personally, I don't think veganism makes me more spiritual, any more than I think that the Inuit's meat intensive diet makes them less spiritual. We are all on individual journeys and we all come to the signposts that direct us through life, in different ways and at different times. As far as the Inuit's diet goes, the biggest problem for them is that historically, the statistics are in that they live 13 years less on average, than the average Canadian who lives in the south and eats less meat. On average, they die at the age of 68 and they mostly show signs of heart disease when they pass. (based on Statistics Canada information).

There is One Spirit that animates us all, one Existence that we all return to. When I think now of eating meat, it is akin to cannibalism. How can I not be a vegan?
Old 06-07-2018, 09:52 AM
Experiencer

You get pleasure from life. And your animal friends are also alive.