Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 15-08-2018, 04:58 AM
Experiencer

Buddhism

What books can I read to learn more about the teachings of the Buddha?
Old 15-08-2018, 07:05 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice_1

Well Buddha wrote nothing down so really one can only read others opinions about what Buddha lived or said or taught.

I myself think a lot of people have found what Buddha did in their own particular ways and so to understand what Buddha had discovered, one can read or listen to all of them. Then get an idea of the path.

Everyone is unique so everyone will understand and incorporate the self knowledge in their own ways. And maybe Buddha achieved a depth others did not, but that doesn't matter we all do the best we can.

I have been reading "spiritual" or metaphysical books my whole life as I had an interest in it. I have found the same teachings attributed to Buddha in all cultures and faiths. I think all "teachings" are basically flawed in that the path is about living free and happy and unconditioned and all teachers and teachings tend to get heavy and drone on and on after awhile and basically just turn into more conditioning, the conditioning we are told to be free of.

But then at some point we know what the path is, have had some insight into our nature or what is going on, then we become the only teacher we need. The "teachings" are basically in our memory and we have our own experience as well to guide us. So the teachers and teachings will never actually leave us even when we stop depending on them or being attached to them in various ways.

But yea some foundation is needed to carry one forward on their own. Once the fundamentals are known, one can move forward and become their own teacher.

This is pretty much an example of one thing Buddha was probably talking about in my opinion...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xd-LpcU4Oo
Old 16-08-2018, 11:14 AM
Master
I think Thich Nhat Hanh talks about it in a ways that's easy to digest.
Old 17-08-2018, 07:43 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I think Thich Nhat Hanh talks about it in a ways that's easy to digest.

I saw a little video of him talking about what enlightenment is....
Very short video... less than 3 minutes.... but he states some amazing views of Buddha and Buddhism and what Enlightenment is.

Thich Nhat Hanh - The Buddha and enlightenment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=yMv9Huvyrzw
Old 17-08-2018, 08:23 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain95
I saw a little video of him talking about what enlightenment is....
Very short video... less than 3 minutes.... but he states some amazing views of Buddha and Buddhism and what Enlightenment is.

Thich Nhat Hanh - The Buddha and enlightenment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=yMv9Huvyrzw

The simplicity in his Teachings is what makes him so endearing. I think he will go down in history as one of the greatest Masters of this century, he must be sadly missed in Plum Village now he's unable to teach but his love for all sentient beings will outlive his body....
Old 17-08-2018, 11:36 AM
Ascender

There's plenty of basic, beginner buddhism on the internet.
Old 17-08-2018, 07:05 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice_1

Hello Alice,

First of all you could read this short basic outline of Buddhism:

https://santacittarama.altervista.org/e_buddhism.htm

and then to learn more about the teachings of the historical Buddha, you could read "In the Buddha's Words" by Bhikkhu Bodhi.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Buddhas-Wor.../dp/0861714911

Hope that helps.

_/|\_