Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Natural Remedies

Old 08-04-2016, 03:16 PM
Master

Kefir~Fermented Milk-Something the Body Needs

I was recently given a start of Kefir. I didn't even know what it was!

I was told it was good for the gut and, since I recently had intestinal problems, I thought I'd give it a try. I thought I'd have trouble keeping up with draining off the milk each morning and adding new to the kefir seeds, but it turns out it is as easy as pie. It needs fresh milk each morning to "feed" the kefir seeds. Why they call it seeds I do not know. After the milk is drained it looks like cottage cheese. If you rinse the "seeds" it looks like large cooked tapioca. The seeds eat up all the lactose and produce lactic acid.

And the run off milk is so beneficial to the gut. I can feel it healing me from the inside out. It's full of probiotics, protein, yeast, vitamins and minerals. It has 3 times the probiotic cultures than yogurt. The probiotcs and yeast can actually colonize the intestinal track (which yogurt cannot do). One serving has 20% of your daily intake of calcium. It also provides 10 grams of protein (if you are using whole milk) as well as a great source of B12 and B1. It is easier to digest (for those who are lactose intolerant) than milk because of the fermenting process.

It originated in the Caucasus Mountains in Eurasia, occupying parts of Russia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, and Armenia by the indigenous people who live there. They would put their kefir seeds in a animal skin bag with fresh goat or sheep milk and hang it nest to the door. Whenever anyone came inside or went out they would give the bag a healthy wack to keep the kefir circulating in the milk to create the best digestive and health drink ever.

Each morning I drain off my kefir fermented milk and place it in a blender with frozen fresh fruit and some honey and give it a whir. It's sweet and thick like a smoothie is supposed to be. It's a great breakfast seeds or if you prefer you can drink yours in the afternoon for that late day pick-me-up to get you through to dinner.

The kefir seeds are added to a clean jar and more fresh milk is added. This sits on the counter for the next 24 hours.

Some people pronounce it Ki'-fer, some Ka-fer' and some like me, Kee'fer.

You will need some kefir seeds. You can get them dehydrated which you to add to milk. This will take several days to hydrate the seeds in your milk and you may have to drain the milk off several days until the kefir is good and healthy again. Or you may get some seeds already fresh hydrated rushed to you via mail so it doesn't die.

The kefir grains actually reproduce and soon you will have more kefir seeds than you need. At this point you can do one of two things. Divide it and give it to a friend or acquaintance or dehydrate it. Oh or you can freeze them too, but I prefer to dehydrate since everything gets lost in my freezer.

I have a waiting list of people who want some of my kefir seeds. I have also dehydrated it. To dehydrate it, wash it thoroughly with clean pure water (not tap water) and dry on paper towels. Transfer to a plate, separate the grains to speed up the drying process and place in a warm place in your house or on the lowest setting of your dehydrator. When the grains are dry and hard, place in a airtight jar for future use. Follow the same cleaning steps if you want to freeze your kefir seeds.

If you need to be gone from home, you can place your jar of kefir seeds in milk in the refrigerator for a week or so and the fermenting process will slow down. There is plenty of information on this on the internet as well all the other things I describe.

The person I got mine from said to use whole milk but I experimented with 2% milk and it does just fine.

For those who are lactose intolerant there is also water kefir. I don't know much about it but I'm sure you can research it online on how to "feed" it.

Lastly, like all fermented foods, you cannot use any metal bowls, strainers or utensils. You must use plastic, glass or wood only. This is very important. I found it so easy to forget and use a spoon to separate the kefir seeds to begin another batch. So I finally invested in some plastic spoons.

Last edited by linen53 : 08-04-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:59 PM
Master

My hubby tried it yesterday (I about fell over when he asked to try it) and loved it.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:20 PM
Knower
Hi Deb

Ashamed to say my poor kefir grains are sitting at the back of the fridge- thankyou for the post as I will try to resurrect them!

Have you made sauerkraut? This is my staple - I had thyroid 'disease' a few years ago and was told it was for life. Turns out I could fix it by restocking my gut and the fermented cabbage worked wonders for me. No more thyroid disease.!
Old 09-04-2016, 11:23 PM
Master

That is amazing brokenwings. I'm not surprised. While researching the kefir every article I read said "fermented, fermented, fermented". I love sauerkraut but sadly, I've gotten out of the habit of eating it since my hubby does not (like it).

Well, my hubby and I are having to take turns in having our kefir each day. Right now I'm splitting it up to give to friends when I have enough (to divide). In a few weeks I won't have to do that and can allow my seeds to multiply to their heart's content. And we won't have to take turns.

Hopefully your kefir seeds are still alive. I know the refrigerator slows down the fermenting process. Finger's crossed.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:39 PM
Newbie ;)

Very informative post, thank you.

I love Kefir, but had never thought of making it myself. I'm going to try this. I need to look into ordering some seeds.. any recommendations on where to order from?
Old 14-04-2016, 01:53 PM
Master

I've PM'd you on some suggestions.
Old 15-04-2016, 12:58 AM
Master
Kefir is great stuff but if you cannot handle cow's dairy, you will be extremely ill if you drink kefir made from cow's milk.

However -- after years of no dairy at all whilst younger, I discovered that I could handle sheep's milk and goat's milk products. Full-fat, creamy, mild goat's milk kefir is amazingly delicious...just like the creamy, full-fat yoghurts made from goat's milk and sheep's milk.

I really do think these foods are a gift from the gods !!!
Very healing.

Peace & blessings,
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke
Old 15-04-2016, 02:11 PM
Master

As I stated above: The seeds eat up all the lactose and produce lactic acid. But you bring up a good point 7L. Some people are just so sensitive to the cow proteins alternative sheep or goat's milk might work well for them.
Old 16-04-2016, 11:38 PM
Master
Absolutely (BTW the ducks are too cute ) - you hit the nail on the head!

Peace & blessings,
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke
Old 16-04-2016, 11:53 PM
Master
wow - thanks for all the info
I've never made kefir from scratch - where you buy the seeds?