Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 02-12-2017, 05:18 PM
Guide

Vastness of Hinduism

The vastness of Hinduism can be underestimated and often is, especially by people looking into it. There are hundreds of subdivisions, often contradicting each other in nature. We're just not a homogeneous lot. Just something to keep in mind when somebody answers a question or adds a comment. It will be from one of the subdivisions POV, not representative of the entire religion. That said, most Hindus aren't into arguing or debating these points.

Aum Na Ma Si Va Ya
Old 03-12-2017, 11:01 PM
Suspended
Thanks, do you know if theres some massive chart that has been done with all the different sects of Hinduism? would be cool to see that.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:42 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Grows
Thanks, do you know if theres some massive chart that has been done with all the different sects of Hinduism? would be cool to see that.

Wiki gives a really decent summary, and lots of links to more specific schools, if you want to explore further.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_denominations
Old 04-12-2017, 12:49 AM
Master
Namaste.

You also have those who will worship a particular deity as their ishta devata (heart deva), follow the premise of Sanatana Dharma and the Vedas, are Hindus within their own right, and yet belong to no particular Sampradaya (school of thought) or combine teachings from many/any/all of them.

That Wikipedia link is also somewhat inconclusive about the branches of Shaivism, as the Kapalika sect is not included and nor is Kashmir Shaivism (Trika school).

In regards to the schools within Shaivism itself, I like this chart:

One may also become aware that early Shaivite thought in regards to Shaiva Siddhanta was heavily influenced by the Vaishnava Vishistadvaita movement (qualified monistic philosophy) started my Ramanuja, who was around during the time of its formation.

I identify as Aghori (Kapalika), but heavily borrow from Vishistadvaita, Pashupata Shaivism, Lingayatism and Advaita Vedanta, occasionally worshiping Lord Vishnu as well, when the mood hits.

Even last night, I was going into Shiva love-trance listening to a particular devotional hymn to Lord Vishnu called Srikarane:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVRT...ature=youtu.be

The lines can get really blurred sometimes.

Om Namo Narayanaya
Om Namah Shivaya
Old 04-12-2017, 11:01 AM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinayaka
Wiki gives a really decent summary, and lots of links to more specific schools, if you want to explore further.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_denominations

Thank you Vinayaka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Namaste.

You also have those who will worship a particular deity as their ishta devata (heart deva), follow the premise of Sanatana Dharma and the Vedas, are Hindus within their own right, and yet belong to no particular Sampradaya (school of thought) or combine teachings from many/any/all of them.

That Wikipedia link is also somewhat inconclusive about the branches of Shaivism, as the Kapalika sect is not included and nor is Kashmir Shaivism (Trika school).

In regards to the schools within Shaivism itself, I like this chart:

One may also become aware that early Shaivite thought in regards to Shaiva Siddhanta was heavily influenced by the Vaishnava Vishistadvaita movement (qualified monistic philosophy) started my Ramanuja, who was around during the time of its formation.

I identify as Aghori (Kapalika), but heavily borrow from Vishistadvaita, Pashupata Shaivism, Lingayatism and Advaita Vedanta, occasionally worshiping Lord Vishnu as well, when the mood hits.

Even last night, I was going into Shiva love-trance listening to a particular devotional hymn to Lord Vishnu called Srikarane:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVRT...ature=youtu.be

The lines can get really blurred sometimes.

Om Namo Narayanaya
Om Namah Shivaya

Thanks for your input on this too Shivani Devi, iv seen that chart before as well that you've posted here.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:40 PM
Guide

The knowledge side of this, I personally view as impossible to get. It's just so vast, and would require years or even lifetimes of study.

What I'm interested in is the practical side. All too often I see a person asking a question, getting one answer, and then feeling satisfied, that they now know what Hindus think on the topic. In reality they just know what one sect or one person thinks, and have falsely generalised this to all of us. (By 'us', I mean practicing Hindus) A simple example is the greeting 'Namaste'. It's common, yes, but in other circles or regions, 'Namaskaram' or 'Vannakkam' and more are just as common. Another common example is going to a Hindu temple, and coming out thinking you know what Hindu temples are about. That's almost the same as entering a human house, and coming out thinking all human houses are like that one. It's folly.

The other practical side is what I see as people giving up on exploring Hinduism because 'it's too complex', not realising that each individual parampara or school isn't usually that complex at all. It's just the entirety that is complex. Yes, Australia is complex, but one village isn't. So I would encourage explorers to narrow the search down. Go with your heart. See where that leads.

But yes, is a scholarly approach piques your personality, go for it.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:56 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinayaka
The knowledge side of this, I personally view as impossible to get. It's just so vast, and would require years or even lifetimes of study.

What I'm interested in is the practical side. All too often I see a person asking a question, getting one answer, and then feeling satisfied, that they now know what Hindus think on the topic. In reality they just know what one sect or one person thinks, and have falsely generalised this to all of us. (By 'us', I mean practicing Hindus) A simple example is the greeting 'Namaste'. It's common, yes, but in other circles or regions, 'Namaskaram' or 'Vannakkam' and more are just as common. Another common example is going to a Hindu temple, and coming out thinking you know what Hindu temples are about. That's almost the same as entering a human house, and coming out thinking all human houses are like that one. It's folly.

The other practical side is what I see as people giving up on exploring Hinduism because 'it's too complex', not realising that each individual parampara or school isn't usually that complex at all. It's just the entirety that is complex. Yes, Australia is complex, but one village isn't. So I would encourage explorers to narrow the search down. Go with your heart. See where that leads.

But yes, is a scholarly approach piques your personality, go for it.
Vannakkam, Namaste and Namaskaram.

Just different languages to express "the Divine within me recognises the Divine within you".

As for people being satisfied with only one answer...

Often, somebody asks a question on here, I post my reply and nobody else bothers to answer the same question from their sect or belief system and I wouldn't challenge it anyway...so the thread dies with my reply...the asker goes off SF, never to be seen again...it's happened countless times....countless...

...and yet, if I don't say anything, the thread just dies anyway.

I'd also like others to discuss/challenge my own views and knowledge on the Vedas, Upanishads etc, but that never happens either, so what can I do? and yep, I've spent lifetimes studying (and loving) Hinduism.

This forum doesn't see much activity anyway...just me, keeping it alive with Shiva Bhajan/Bhakti offerings...trying to prop it up and get others to post somehow.

Of course I could answer each thread with 'this is how an Aghori sees it' but I pretty much take it for granted that everybody knows this by now so of corz I'll respond in that way.

It's nice to see you after such a long time, Vinayaka.

Om Namah Shivaya