Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 14-01-2018, 03:21 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem

So basically, words in use are not necessarily dualistic. Indeed the nuance of meaning is very broad and nuanced within the larger context. If we were to say words are dualistic, we would have to assume all communications are dualistic, body language, facial expression, expressive sounds like 'mmmm'. How can it be dualistic when 'mmmmm' may communicate contemplating, something delicious, physical attraction and a number of other meanings?

Maybe dualistic isn't necessarily the right word, maybe words of multiplicity could be used for better understanding however I see multiplicity as an extension of duplicity so there is that.

The trunk of the tree is not separate from the branches. If words are not necessarily dualistic, doesn't that make them dualistic by default?
Old 14-01-2018, 03:23 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampgrl
Either way.....

Ok.

Well.

This comes to mind to your original question.

If non duality had a humour...what mask?

What mask?

Non dual humour wouldnt create splits at the seams if you laughed to hard..
Non dual humour to a Gemini would actually seal the rift between the twins that tore them apart and separated them (probably at the seams from laughing to hard at someones non dual humour mask)

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 14-01-2018, 04:57 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesflow
Ok.

Well.

This comes to mind to your original question.

If non duality had a humour...what mask?

What mask?

Non dual humour wouldnt create splits at the seams if you laughed to hard..
Non dual humour to a Gemini would actually seal the rift between the twins that tore them apart and separated them (probably at the seams from laughing to hard at someones non dual humour mask)

I like it! I like it!

Even the tragedy mask hints of this at times with things like "why so serious?"

Except, at the time, it can be serious when it happens directly. After the fact the words "why so serious?" are understood from a wider context.

The mask has been known to have an amnesic effect in so as the story goes.

Word.
Old 14-01-2018, 07:48 AM
Master
Quote:
I like it! I like it!

I like your approval ratings..

Quote:
Even the tragedy mask hints of this at times with things like "why so serious?"

Uhuh. Made me think of a song. Funny lately to actually remind me to not fall back into tragedy masks I have songs playing in my head that actually show me how to turn it around. It's quite the tool kit to have..haha

Quote:
Except, at the time, it can be serious when it happens directly. After the fact the words "why so serious?" are understood from a wider context.

This is true. Through process we get to experience more and an expanded view, which supports wellbeing and change of heart..

Quote:
The mask has been known to have an amnesic effect in so as the story goes.

Which mask?

Quote:
Word.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 14-01-2018, 09:10 AM
Knower
I'm expressive what can I say?

I think I want a copy of your toolkit while adding my personal touch to the copy. Actually I've probably been building mine all along but never thought of it in that way. How often do you have trouble finding the right tool in your toolkit?

Which mask?

I'm glad you asked. My mask I suspect. At times, it all but falls off and it is those times when there is awakening while I am awake.

Don't know exactly what that will look like when it wears completely off but in the mean time, here I am!
Old 14-01-2018, 12:02 PM
Master
Quote:
Maybe dualistic isn't necessarily the right word, maybe words of multiplicity could be used for better understanding however I see multiplicity as an extension of duplicity so there is that.

The trunk of the tree is not separate from the branches. If words are not necessarily dualistic, doesn't that make them dualistic by default?

It basically depends on the kind structure a discourse takes, because words apart from having definitions in themselves as basic symbols of meaning, also have nuances which shift in context when in actual use, so the use of words is the way we communicate meaning, and definitions of words depend on such contexts, and then we have the nuance of tone of voice, inflection, creating sarcasm, irony and subtler 'between the lines' meanings which aren't even said, or even mean the exact opposite of what is said, but are no less understood in communication.

When the dialectic is knowledge based the premise is dualistic, right/wrong, agree/disagree, true/false, and there is always a power dynamic involved in this, where 'authority' means both the expert (as the site of knowledge) on the matter and a person in powerful position, but language is usually used just to convey meanings, and not knowledge.

So, we can forget the knowledge based discourse because obviously its very premise is dualistic, and there's really no question in that regard. In the other case where only meaning is concerned, well, imagine we read a poem or a novel - then agree/disagree, right/wrong doesn't make sense, and is therefore meaningless. Hence the straight cut black vs. white between duals becomes blurred and we enter a very grey area... which is no less understandable.
Old 14-01-2018, 05:16 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
To me, describing nonduality with words is like unintentionally cloaking it with duality on some level (if not all levels).

Is discussion regarding nonduality akin to discussion on the complexities of a wardrobe?

Speaking of cloaks, one wears a cloak, one is not a cloak. Or as Philippe said in the movie The Man in the Iron Mask, "I wear the mask, it does not wear me."

So as a writer I recognize the irony of posting this but for some reason I find value in it.

It goes without saying that I welcome all other takes on this.

Btw, that is a nice shirt you're wearing!

Side Bar: It is as if words convey that nonduality is nonexistent/ unreal and yet it is all that exists.

Words are symbols/labels represented within a duality based perception. The whole show is based on observer and observed and every facet, level and expression between those points gives way to what we know as experience. The experience is not possible without an experiencer in place and so experience itself is anchored by separation. Of course the words are dual as they quite fittingly confirm the foundation it comes from...your identity.
Old 14-01-2018, 05:53 PM
Knower
I have a good one for all you wonderful people.

Word, word, does it starve off oblivion or sustain it?
Old 14-01-2018, 06:06 PM
Master

Quote:
If words are not necessarily dualistic, doesn't that make them dualistic by default?

Isn't that from an assumption that the world is dualistic? What if it is actually singular, would that not make all words singular?
Old 14-01-2018, 06:22 PM
Eelco

Quote:
To me, describing nonduality with words is like unintentionally cloaking it with duality on some level (if not all levels).

Side Bar: It is as if words convey that nonduality is nonexistent/ unreal and yet it is all that exists.

I have been in satsangs where there were spontaneous prolonged moments (think the better part of a half hour) of silence where everyone was experiencing some non-dualistic moment of bliss.
But like every experience it passes, mind begin to stir and questions arise. Some of these get asked which are then attempted to be answered even though everyone was sitting in blissful unified silence just minutes before..

Does that diminish any one of both experiences?
No.. It just shows that some states are perceived as more pleasurable than others.
Based on your temperament I guess to some the silence was more pleasurable to others the Q and A that followed..

Where in that satsang was there ever a duality other than in the way it was perceived?

With Love