Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 03-01-2018, 04:17 AM
Guide

Sensorimotor OCD

I'm quite sure I posted a long time ago about trouble with breathing while attempting to meditate. I take control of my breathing to the point that I either force breath or hold it. I would also panic when feeling the sensations of the breath, while also doing the same when becoming aware of my heartbeat. I've been making some small progress by showing more compassion, less perfectionism, and by diverting my focus to surrounding noises and away from my breath. That being said, I've come to realise my problem has been sensorimotor OCD, since it has worsened in other areas. In particular, I am having an issue with excessive saliva/swallowing by simply becoming aware of it.

I'm posting this for two reasons, one to enlighten anybody who may be facing similar challenges during meditation without knowing the cause, and to ask if anybody else has been confronted by this and how they've personally worked around it in meditation. Diverting my attention elsewhere has been my best bet, although that comes with its own faults. Focusing on surrounding noises can be distracting in its own right.

Edit: A note to mods, maybe this one's better in the meditation section of the forum? My mistake.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:18 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Dragon
I'm quite sure I posted a long time ago about trouble with breathing while attempting to meditate. I take control of my breathing to the point that I either force breath or hold it. I would also panic when feeling the sensations of the breath, while also doing the same when becoming aware of my heartbeat. I've been making some small progress by showing more compassion, less perfectionism, and by diverting my focus to surrounding noises and away from my breath. That being said, I've come to realise my problem has been sensorimotor OCD, since it has worsened in other areas. In particular, I am having an issue with excessive saliva/swallowing by simply becoming aware of it.

I'm posting this for two reasons, one to enlighten anybody who may be facing similar challenges during meditation without knowing the cause, and to ask if anybody else has been confronted by this and how they've personally worked around it in meditation. Diverting my attention elsewhere has been my best bet, although that comes with its own faults. Focusing on surrounding noises can be distracting in its own right.

Edit: A note to mods, maybe this one's better in the meditation section of the forum? My mistake.

I have had this too. It was more to do with my inability to let go fully into a deeper state of relaxation. But then every step of my own difficulties was a point of recognising where I was still holding on. Sometimes I have to place my tongue upward on the roof of my mouth to settle the saliva issue, but most often now I can move deeper into the breath to let all that go.

I think Gem would be ideal, as he is big on breath meditation so hopefully we both learn something through him :)

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 04-01-2018, 04:39 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:

I think it is normal - it's what happens when people become self conscious. Usually we breath without an issue at all but of course in meditation it somehow becomes :odd:. I don't have any experience with the term you use but my best bet is just to keep trucking, things sort themself out over time this way (sort of like learning to ride a bike)

I would recommend perhaps "just sitting" with bare attention on the breath, relax and smile into any tension, so that it also releases/relieves pressure on the breath. And compassion, yes, that is always a very helpful part of any Buddhist meditation.

Not sure if this helps.

In relation to saliva, what naturesflow mentioned is a taught technique - resting the tongue on the upper part of the mouth. If that doesn't work, I recommend relaxing again - rest into peace of mind and joy - and just keep swallowing if you need to, and as you lose resistance, things might really clear up!

Metta

BT
Old 05-01-2018, 02:51 AM
Guide

Thanks both of you! Interestingly, I do occasionally press the tongue on the roof of my mouth for no obvious reason, and I'm noticing now that it does provide a small degree of relief. In general, away from meditation, I'm still practising compassion as best as I can and already seeing some improvement. I sense this is the real lesson, and that I most likely picked up the OCD due to frustration and fear of not doing the "right" thing adequately enough. As has been suggested, I'll just have to truck on.

When I began making some improvements with my breathing, it was when I comforted myself, and told myself that it's ok to make mistakes or not meet a certain standard, but that I can also trust my body to breathe for me. Repeating this in mind with a compassionate tone certainly made noticeable difference. I suspect this other problem I face will be no different, and I feel I should probably start by trying not to see it as a 'problem' that needs to be tackled and judged every second, that brings my awareness back to it each and every time.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:10 PM
Master
Hi Sunset Dragon,

If I may..

Much of what you are talking about is normal.

What I would suggest is you start by relaxing your body, from your toes up to the top of your head, just start by going body part by body part slowly and relax the body.

Once you have relaxed the body, stay with it. If you notice any tension in your body just put your awareness there and relax that body part.

If focusing on your breath is to much try focusing on the rise and fall of your belly.

If saliva, or thoughts intrude, this is normal and it will get easier over time.

What happens is you will focus on your belly/breath and then you will notice you are lost in thoughts.

That is normal.

Just gently go back to observing your belly/breath.

That space between you focusing on your belly/breath and getting caught up in thoughts is silence. Over time that silence will grow and grow.

Everything you are experiencing is normal, don't over think it. Know the brain wants to fight silence, it is all normal. Just focus on the belly, get lost in thoughts, return to focusing on the belly over and over again.

I hope this helps,

Tom
Old 05-01-2018, 06:22 PM
Master
Here is a very good meditation from a Rinpoche that I know. I go to this temple sometimes and I really like the method he uses.

He does the step by step with the body, leading to the breath, energy and awareness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OEjEeki_Ms

Hope you enjoy.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:08 PM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Thanks both of you! Interestingly, I do occasionally press the tongue on the roof of my mouth for no obvious reason, and I'm noticing now that it does provide a small degree of relief. In general, away from meditation, I'm still practising compassion as best as I can and already seeing some improvement. I sense this is the real lesson, and that I most likely picked up the OCD due to frustration and fear of not doing the "right" thing adequately enough. As has been suggested, I'll just have to truck on.

When I began making some improvements with my breathing, it was when I comforted myself, and told myself that it's ok to make mistakes or not meet a certain standard, but that I can also trust my body to breathe for me. Repeating this in mind with a compassionate tone certainly made noticeable difference. I suspect this other problem I face will be no different, and I feel I should probably start by trying not to see it as a 'problem' that needs to be tackled and judged every second, that brings my awareness back to it each and every time.

Indeed -- in many ways, it is learning to be at ease with all of it, including the very real discomfort we may experience in body/mind. Rest into the sensations, the "wanting to do it right", the anxiety, rest into it and let that which is untouched by it all come to dominance.

Be well

BT