Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 15-01-2019, 12:29 AM
Newbie ;)

Dear Sentient, thank you so much for your kind response and posting. Please feel free to post as many links as you can, your links are all teaching me, as I am sure others who are viewing this thread 😊

I agree wholeheartedly with you, yes we can project our romanticisms and fantasies upon indigenous cultures. This happens all the time, I have seen it happen to me and others around me.

With that said, I truly believe there is no such thing as “outsiders” per se, I believe true awareness of love, compassion and kindness, with the altruistic intention of helping other sentient beings transcends all language and culture, wisdom/awareness recognizes no one culture or language, but rather encompasses them all. At least that is my humble two cents. 😉

At the end of the day, we are all decedents of indigenous cultures around the world. I was the first of my family born in Canada, my family comes from Venezuela, and my ancestry goes back to the indigenous cultures of the Oronoco region. And sadly, I know all too well how Indigenous cultures around the world have suffered, most stories of which, are not love and light.

Mind you, I am always learning everyday, and thanks to you, I will have the honor and pleasure of getting to know the Taiwanese Aboriginal history.

Thank you so very much for sharing the words of wisdom from your Tibetan Lama Friend with me, words of wisdom indeed!
Old 15-01-2019, 01:12 AM
Master
Yeshe,
Now you got me seriously curious about the Venezuelan Oronoco region Natives and Cultures!

I know next to nothing about Venezuela!

P.S.
Quote:
my family comes from Venezuela, and my ancestry goes back to the indigenous cultures of the Oronoco region.
Now also your first post on this thread makes total sense (to me at least).

Last edited by sentient : 15-01-2019 at 02:18 AM.
Old 15-01-2019, 06:19 PM
Newbie ;)

^^ Just another word to describe my practices so they can be understood without saying this.. Transcendental meditation, physical and auric energy healing, exorcisms, etheric and astral travel, spirit guides, etc.

The word doesn't offend me much since I've also practiced celtic and egyptian shamanism as well.

The offense comes from the mental health industry classifying us as schizophrenic. I mainly practice versions of tai chi and qi gong now for grounding and improvement, especially when i skate.

The wingmaker and rainbow knowledge is a deeper meaning. Ive heard different variations from hippies and rainbow children who more over do drugs than meditate, so Ive seen the "shot out" glance of the story.

Its been told in many cultures differently but the main idea is that our whole earth family will come together and protect each other from a more definite enemy which is not from here.
Old 16-01-2019, 04:35 AM
Master
Sorry off topic but - !?
Suddenly found something curious when looking into Venezuela.

Is this how the Orinoco river Natives chant when they go into a trance or ‘shamanize’ or is it just the Piaroans? And/or is it just this one chant?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53gB...IAyfJi&index=7

…. Because that sounds oddly familiar to me.

Compare it with a kind of compilation of sounds – during shamanic trances from Siberia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv-EQtrL7Ik

(^ From 1:43 to 2:20 singing style - I trust is this:).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trochaic_tetrameter

If you chant the Longfellow's “The Song of Hiawatha” poem with both of them – you might see what I mean (?)
Or am I just imagining this – “hearing” things – projecting the similarity?!
Maybe it is just a coincidence, but nevertheless a curious one. Or have you stolen our songs! (Just kidding ).

Last edited by sentient : 16-01-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Old 16-01-2019, 07:38 PM
ImthatIm

I would have to think rainbow stories/prophecies and legends and ceremonial practices should have probably been a world wide practice of differing types at one time or another.
Since the rainbow is known by all peoples.
I would imagine kinda big like rain,thunders,water,sun.
Australian aboriginals have a rainbow serpent.

As far as all peoples coming together in a good way, it would be nice, and we do practice things in many ways, to make that happen, but no rainbow knowledge involved.
Old 17-01-2019, 01:32 AM
Newbie ;)

Dear Sentient, thank you very much for posting these links. When I listened to the chants the first time around, I did not hear the similarity. I had to listen to the chants a few times, and then I did hear the similarity in the vocal beats and in their breath.

I could not quite put my finger on what exactly the similarity was, but I understood what you meant in your post. Then after reading the link you posted Trochaic tetrameter, it made complete sense to me. You have a very good ear for sound, vibration and tone!

I do not think the Piaroan Shaman went into trance state during the video, I think he was only chanting because he was asked to by the videographer, just my humble assumption 😉

I imagine the various tribes in the Orinoco region go into trance states in different ways, some by chanting, others through dance, others through natural herbs found in the jungle. Or, a combination of all of the aforementioned 😉
Old 17-01-2019, 03:07 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeshe
You have a very good ear for sound, vibration and tone!
Not really. It is just that I am very familiar with that kind of chanting, so when I started to listen to the Piaroan Shaman, I was instantly taken back ….. What the! Am I hearing things?
And had to test them both with the “Hiawatha” poem, within the link.

When I hear the beats of 4 – (I subconsciously awake) The importance of number 4, eh, ImthatIm - you are familiar with that number your way through your culture and tradition.

Longfellow’s “Hiawatha” – I trust is a genuine collection of Native American stories, though I don’t know for sure. Longfellow just compiled them and put them into our poem-meter style. And our singers didn’t ‘invent’ it – that chanting style comes from how old oral tradition in Eurasia/Siberia.
Some had it some didn’t and I don’t know which one is which.

Not expecting anyone to see this, but just leaving the link here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFeE_EcwRDs

But if a somewhat similar chanting style existed/exists in shamanic South America as well (???) – was Longfellow then fraudulent? (as he was publicly accused of plagiarism by Thomas Conrad Porter at the time) Or did he choose intuitively?

I think sometimes it might be best to leave things as an open question-mark.

Quote:
I imagine the various tribes in the Orinoco region go into trance states in different ways, some by chanting, others through dance, others through natural herbs found in the jungle. Or, a combination of all of the aforementioned
I’m learning – thank you Yeshe!
And if one is a descendant of a trance culture – one is a descendant of a trance culture.

Old 18-01-2019, 12:13 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeshe
Thank you so very much for sharing the words of wisdom from your Tibetan Lama Friend with me, words of wisdom indeed!
Well – thanks to the Lama for that good practice

BUT – there is a bitava problem with sharing/mixing cultures & I think “The Song of Hiawatha” is a good example of this.

Shamanic chants are a tool Shaman uses. The rhythmic repetition is trance inducing - like the drum, plus if you intend to journey to the lower world – you might chant the oral tradition chant – to take you there. Till you, in the trance – are ‘there’ - and stop chanting.
If you encounter an illness – you might chant the healing chant/spell.
Just sketching examples here.

But if you listen to the chants in a Hiawatha - reciting mere poetry - way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI1Lp15cfRI
No matter how beautiful it may sound – how much it can potentially touch you emotionally - elevate your spirit towards “Oneness” - the original use of the chants becomes obscured and lost in translation from one culture to another.

When your culture becomes another’s – it becomes diluted, focus is on other things entirely and if you start to believe these other people’s version of it - all becomes lost.
If you know what I mean?