Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Astrology

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 12:25 PM
Master
Are we making a mockery of Saturday..?

Saturday is the 6th (or 7th) day of the week. It is named after Saturnus, god of renewal, agriculture, and liberation. His Greek equivalent is Cronus. In Hindu polytheism they refer to this planet as Shani. He is the god of hard work, discipline, and asceticism. In both cases we see a male god who is associated with mastery over things..

Most people however associate Saturdays with partying, getting drunk, and definitely not with discipline, mastery over the senses, and asceticism..

Interesting bit. Maybe we need to think more carefully what we all do on this day so we get better in tune with the rhythm of our solar system..
Old 05-06-2019, 01:20 PM
Knower
I'm one of those annoying little prudes who roll their eyes at the Saturday party-goers. Don't get me wrong, I certainly enjoy relaxing on the weekend, but relaxing and partying are total opposites to me. Alcohol makes people way too loud and outgoing.

"The universe is random. Not inevitable. It's simple chaos." -- Walter White

"Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" -- Albus Dumbledore
Old 05-06-2019, 02:21 PM
Ascender
I don't know if this ties in, but there was the annual Roman celebration of Saturnalia in honor of Saturn. For six days everyone would party and feast, even slaves got to trade places with their masters during that time (supposedly). Maybe Saturns Day is more about partying after a week of hard work.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:48 PM
Master
Saturday is a day to let loose, have sex, and party like a Brazilian.

Most people work hard all week and Friday nights and Saturdays are days to unwind and let loose a little. Particularly if your young and have less responsibilities. Nobody is mocking anything, things just change with time and people adapt. Its following the herd but in that case understandable. This Saturday i will be attending a festival, to enjoy the lively atmosphere. But for the most part Saturdays, like any other day currently, is a day to train hard and enjoy.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:58 PM
Master
Well.. if you check the gods than it is also very much about mastery and control..
I see a bit of misalignment going on there if a day, named after a god of mastery, is used as something that is the opposite of that. I find that very peculiar..

Oh and I'm also not at all into alcohol, loud noise, etc. And if you're young you still have responsibilities, especially towards yourself and your own body..
It's no use abusing it, that will come to bite you back..
Old 05-06-2019, 08:04 PM
Master
Everything in moderation. I don't drink, or party either. Never did. But i can understand why people would. Once a week of indulgence is fine especially if your young. You can go out, drink, and party and still be a responsible adult without over doing it.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:35 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean breeze
Everything in moderation. I don't drink, or party either. Never did. But i can understand why people would. Once a week of indulgence is fine especially if your young. You can go out, drink, and party and still be a responsible adult without over doing it.

A young, healthy body is perfectly equipped to do spiritual practice. There's less likely to be issues with the spine if one meditates for prolonged periods. There's more powerful breaths possible in pranayama, and there's more possible in yoga asanas. Wasting one's young and healthy body on alcohol, drugs, and sleep deprivation is not healthy and is celebration of ignorance. I am all for freedom though and believe people can waste their bodies away as they please. However it is not wise..

Anyways. I made this thread to point out the misalignment with a day and how many live life during that day. Whether people believe in it or not, we still give it a lot of meaning unconsciously and there is choice and power in that..
Old 07-06-2019, 04:25 PM
Knower
If the holiday Saturnalia is indeed a day for servants trading places with their masters, then is that not about mastery and control?

"The universe is random. Not inevitable. It's simple chaos." -- Walter White

"Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" -- Albus Dumbledore
Old 07-06-2019, 08:43 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
A young, healthy body is perfectly equipped to do spiritual practice. There's less likely to be issues with the spine if one meditates for prolonged periods. There's more powerful breaths possible in pranayama, and there's more possible in yoga asanas. Wasting one's young and healthy body on alcohol, drugs, and sleep deprivation is not healthy and is celebration of ignorance. I am all for freedom though and believe people can waste their bodies away as they please. However it is not wise..

Anyways. I made this thread to point out the misalignment with a day and how many live life during that day. Whether people believe in it or not, we still give it a lot of meaning unconsciously and there is choice and power in that..

I know you feel this way. You've mentioned that already. Its good you are discipline in spiritual practices. If its enhances your life, awesome. Stay discipline. Not everyone cares for that though. I enjoy celebrating ignorance myself. I celebrate Christmas, Thanksgiving, and New Years Eve with my family.

Quote:
I don't drink, or party either. Never did.

Anyways, i made an error in that post. What i really meant was, never cared to, not never did. But i am correct in that i don't drink or go to parties. But it would be dishonest to say i never in my life did. My error.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:01 AM
Master
I think that the reason people are drawn to drinking alcohol and partying and all that jazz, is precisely of how unconsciously they live in general and therefore less satisfaction and fulfillment is derived from daily life and existence. It is ingrained in a lot of cultures today, and has been in the past too of course.. but yes it is a culture of ignorance and indifference unfortunately.

But today more than ever there are many detrimental things pressing down on us, with how processed and deviated and deprived of nature most daily practices and consumption are.. technology and the "energies" that come with it ie wifi and even electricity are harmful and damaging so that coupled with the products most use and the absence of purity in the food and water generally consumed makes people lost.. because we are nature and all that removes us from it and our natural ideal state. it causes physical pain as well as emotional and mental turmoil and you can deduce what effect that ultimately has on our spirituality.. We are still spiritual divine beings no matter what but there is a lot we're up against and most are unaware of what's missing and why they feel so lost or that they need to escape or desire an alternate form of reality or unreality.. I think that is the main reason people drink. It somehow cuts us off from the torment and uneasy state most are walking around in these days.. Of course consuming alcohol and toxic things ends up bringing us even further away from our real selves and healthy functioning, but again it is part of the culture and what most people know..

In our true state we'd have no reason to want to escape or modify our consciousness.. and unconsciousness and alcohol go hand in hand more ways than one. if you drink too much it literally will make you go unconscious. Anyway I don't know I just feel like I can see the reasons why people are so dissatisfied and searching for something else which is just themselves and nature and their connection to everything.. most people think spiritual things are weird rather than realizing they are just a part of what we are. but there is thankfully new culture growing that understands the importance of our purity and abstinence from the toxic artificial things of the modern world.

I can say for myself that I used to drink a lot, did a lot of partying since I was young but also for a while I would drink just to socialize, even with family.. because of overwhelming anxiety.. alcohol is the only thing that would seem to drown it out, but then the hangovers were horrendous and I knew I was much more worse off for it.. so finally one day about 4 or 5 years ago I quit entirely.. then I started drinking alcohol again once in a while near the end of last year. It's hard to commit to taking care of yourself as well as you know you should so I am still not healthy and still want to escape the current state and condition of my body and mind.. I know alcohol is not the answer and eventually I will abstain from it entirely again but I'm rambling so I'll wrap this up lol. I used to feel like I had to party every weekend but I grew out of that, and I don't like to drink every weekend or week now either. I am certain that if I was disciplining myself and doing what I know (after years of researching and seeking answers) I should be that I would be much more content and be in less pain so I'd be more blissful and have no reason to drink or seek intoxicated states.. and as has been reiterated in this thread by a few it seems true that those really following and honoring themselves don't feel any need to imbibe on alcohol or let loose through partying because the only purpose it serves is to suppress the pain and toxicity that abnormally rules us.
We are playful creatures by nature so I don't think it is a matter of being disciplined necessarily being separate from that.. but many find it hard to play and enjoy life without the assistance of a crutch like alcohol which somehow distracts us from everything that's going wrong or disordered.. I'd be interested to understand more about alcohol on other levels, but ideally we'd have no reason to even want to consider it