Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Wicca

Old 12-11-2010, 01:04 PM
applepie

moon phases for candle magic

Hi there

Can someone help me. I have been practicing candle magic for a while, but I would like to do a banishing spell (for myself and husband) and know that this should be carried out in the waning moon phase, with a black candle with juniper or lemongrass oils rubbed into the candle. But……it’s the moon phases im not so hot on. I think we are in the wanning moon now, but only for a few days left. I don’t have my candles yet (ran out!), and so waiting for them, so then it will be the new moon/waxing phase. So do I have to wait then till the next waning moon???????

Can anyone help?
Old 12-11-2010, 01:29 PM
earthprowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by applepie
Hi there

Can someone help me. I have been practicing candle magic for a while, but I would like to do a banishing spell (for myself and husband) and know that this should be carried out in the waning moon phase, with a black candle with juniper or lemongrass oils rubbed into the candle. But……it’s the moon phases im not so hot on. I think we are in the wanning moon now, but only for a few days left. I don’t have my candles yet (ran out!), and so waiting for them, so then it will be the new moon/waxing phase. So do I have to wait then till the next waning moon???????

Can anyone help?

No you don't have to wait for certain moon phases. If you can do the spell during them that's great, but if you need to do a spell and you need it now then do it. Also you don't have to use a black candle if you don't have one. Go get a white one, you can substitute white for any color. The oil does not have to be so specific either, it's all in your intent. I've used vegetable oil or Olive oil; I dont have the money to go out and buy all the fancy oils they say you need to use. hope this helps a little.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Master
Does the moon ever help with pagan rituals? Good rituals I mean :)
Spiritlite.
Old 14-11-2010, 06:12 AM
Animus27

It's commonly thought that the moon, due to it's gravitational influence upon the earth (tides, etc) that it can augment magick when it's executed during a specific phase. I think there is some truth to this. But it is NOT necessary.

All ritual objects, whether oil, candles, incense, or various other items, are only meant as a thing to help focus your intent. You can use birthday candles and crisco, or you can write your spell on a Burger King wrapper and flush it down the toilet ( ). All of the tools are symbolic and help you magnify your will and intention. Don't get hung up on whether everything is right when you're doing a ritual, you just have to get into the groove and feel it.

Also, if you're interested in banishing, but don't have any candles, you can simply use visualization, or you can call upon the god or goddess to help you.

EDIT: Here's a site you might find useful, I know I have. http://www.calculatorcat.com/moon_phases/phasenow.php
Old 19-11-2010, 11:10 PM
stormdancer

I have been working with candles for OMG over 25yrs now and thought I would write a post about candle magic and try my bnest to help applepie with the question asked..I hope this helps sister x.

First of all I want to introduce you to colours of different candles. I use small candles, infact I use them a lot for example - wanting peace in my life, things that are not really big. For things I really desire, in my subconscious mind I believe are harder to obtain, because I have that belief, I use a bigger candle. This is not because a bigger candle works better, I know that, it's because it's my belief . I will give you an example of this:

Star Wars is a great movie, George Lucas must have been a mystic in a past life whether he knows it or not. Do you remember the scene where Luke Skywalker was with Yoda in the swamp? And he was trying to lift the huge space vehicle out of the swamp water? At first he could barely do it. Now if you had asked Luke Skywalker at that point in his journey of Mysticism if he could lift a branch of a tree or a little stone he would have believed he could do it easily because it was small. He would be able to manifest that...But he had not reached that state during that point in the movie, so he didn't realise that the size doesn't matter, it's the belief, and that's what Yoda was trying to teach him - and Luke believed it would be more difficult so that is what happened to him when he couldn't do it. Now Yoda this short guy had reached the state of manifesting the force, the consciousness that is in everything, and he was able to manifest it instantaniously because that was his belief, and he had reached that state, which was a state Luke Skywalker could have in an instant, if he wanted to, but he hadn't reached that point yet, that realisation. I'm digressing here sorry.....

Ok before we go into candle magic more I need to make one thing clear.... 'Your Magic is not in the Candle!' And when you arrive at a state whether in this lifetime or beyond when you realise that the candle is just a tool that your mind uses to manifest it, because you have not reached a state where you cannot manifest magic without tools you will realise that the candle is just a scaffolding in your step of learning magic and scaffolding is not bad. Scaffolding is very important in the process of raising and building. I don't want you to think it's not important as it is a lower form of magic because it is using a tool, which is necessary in this state, but not necessary at a state of mastering magic.

Ok one more thing that I want to explain about why candle magic works is that when you are using the candle, you have to understand that are pulling upon elements. The candle is the perfect representation of all the elements. You have the Fire element, which is represented with the fire, this is a state of desiring and when you want to initiate the magic of creation, first you have desire, that's the flame that burns, the process.

There is water in the candle,and this is represented with the wax that is melting, your desires are in the state of water when you reach the middle plains of the astral. The higher planes are mostly the fire planes, that's like mental,that's where everything starts and condenses to the lower planes which are astral, which are represented with water, these are the fluid states.

The Earth state is represented by the hard wax and there is the Air state always part of the fire becuse without air and will power your desire will not manifest. So here you have all the states of creation there. You have Air - concentration and will power. Earth - Crystalization of your desire. Air - which is the higher planes. Fire - desire. So that's all the elements.

Ok so lets get onto colours:

The colours that we work with kind of correspond to our chakras. the lowest base colour and if you realise...Im going to digress a little again here.....colours are the spectrum of white light that can be broken up into colours like in a rainbow. these colours vibrate at different levels. Now in rainbows you have the darker reds at one end of the spectrum and the darker reds vibrate at a different level to the violets and ultra -violets which are on the other side of the spectrum.

Your lowest chakra, your root chakra, which is between your legs is generally a reddish colour. Red is passion, the darker the red the more it looks like blood and the more it is like a war like determination to get something instantly. It is a burning desire. It is no coincidence that our reproductive organs are placed near our root chakra because it has to do with passion, desire and also that is where energy is first bought up, and manifests in creation of not just another person but also of things that you want in your life. So red is your base chakra and is very powerful. I use red for if I want something to happen NOW, if I cannot wait for it because maybe I need to have something with someone else for example maybe there is a conflict and I want to experience a state of winning or a state of overcomming now. I will use red to draw upon vibrations of red...Red is a very good colour but it is a very powerful one. If you use red be sure you know what your doing!

As you move up your chakras the second chakra is Orange, this is because it is between red and yellow. Orange is also a very powerful colour, it has the passion and power of red but it also has the passion and power of yellow. Yellow is not as passionate as red, it's more of a mental state. so a orange is a cross between your desire to have something and the force of power and desire but it is tempered with the mental state of yellow, which is your chakra above the orange. One of the things I use an orange candle for is because it is powerful it manifests things because it has the power but also it has mental abilities...if you want a spell to work it is always good to add orange , this is because it has two states of consciousnes driving it.

The third chakra is Yellow and this is an important candle colour. If I want to make sure I had the ability to do a test or maybe I needed to retain knowledge, or I wanted to increse my concentration, which is a mental state, I use yellow. yellow has helped me many times in my candle meditations to focus my mind, it is a mental state, and it lets off that type of light vibration and frequency that inter acts with your Aura and your own consciousnes, and brings about that ability and hightens your mental state.

After that the two colours that I use that represent the Heart chakra are Pink and Green/Dark Green. Your heart chakra is a state of connecting the astral with the physical. It's half way between your body, and it is of the astral state of loving, like romance, tenderness and care. I always use pink when I am working with my family and children. Pink is Not like red as in passion it is more tempered, mellow and warmth in the heart. Pink is like this because it is a lower form of red, it still has passion but not as much it is more gentle.

Green is a healing colour and corresponds to your heart chakra as well. A dark Green corresponds with earth, healing and plants and it's no coincidence that plants radiate a green vibration about them, a growth vibration.If you want to grow something in your life, to magnify something then use green. I would also add Orange to this colour to as this will add power.

Blues can be used both dark or a lighter blue however you feel. It corresponds with communication, which is more to do with Air and the Throat chakra. Blue also has to do with feelings of peace, serenity and it is one of your higher chakras. If I want peace I will use a blue candle but I will sometimes mix this with a violet which has to do with your higher chakra. Violet is the highest vibration in the physical.

I use Violet when I desire wisdom. If i desire to bring wisdom into my life and to manifest it into my life or to open up the wisdom I already have I will meditate on a violet candle. So Violet has to do with peace and serenity but in some cases not as much wisdom.

You can also use Gold and Silver. Gold can be used and linked to the power of the sun and Silver to the power of the Moon.

Black candles absorb energy, so when you use a black candle what you are saying is you want to absorb the energy you don't want in your life and you want to put it into the candle and burn it and dispurse it into the Universe, and let it absorb into other energies, and get it out of your life. So when you have negative things and people in your life, use a black candle, and be VERY specific in your desires, you don't want to banish a person, you can't do that anyway. You cannot banish a person, if you try and banish a person you are saying that soul does not exist, and that's not true. So you would just banish negative things in your life. I always add a white candle because I don't like to use just black. E.g If you want to banish a bad habit like smoking, I would use a black candle and also counter it with a white candle.

White candles give things off...as in things back. So you would imagine something to put in place of the thing you took away with the black candle. Remember if you take away energy you need to replace it with something you desire. E.g if you get rid of smoking you could replace it with healthy eating..Take the bad energy out and bring good energy in. NEVER meditate with a black candle, if you do you will find that you will begin to get your energy drained, you will become tired , irritable..so don't use it for meditation and make sure you know what you are doing if you use a black in candle magic!

When you do candle magic you need to take your oil that you have charged through meditation etc. I use Olive oil it is what the ancient mystics used to use and the Egyptians. You can add essential oils to your charged oil too.I add if I want wisdom Sandlewood this essential oil has a very high vibration also frankinsence is good for protection but we can go into essential oils at another time.

So you put a few drops of the oil on the candle you are going to use. If you are trying to bring something to you, if you are trying to manifest a desire you need to place the candle near the relevent chakra. I would recomend the heart chakra as it is very powerful. Visualise in your mind the energy of the universe comming down towards you. Start at the top of the candle and stroke it down towards you, as you do this imagine a funnel shape of energy, visualise the shape, the energy in the astral and bring it down towards you candle and as you do you are saying I want to bring this to me..this desire, and it will manifest to me.

When you are trying to get rid of something, banish it, do this as before but pull the oil away from you into the universe.

Now light the candle. In your mind the candle is burning. The candle is a physical tool to help you visualise what you are going to manifest. Now leave the candle alone to burn. Do not mess with it or think about it, or question yourself and wonder if it's going to work because this will stop the magic working and instead of your desire manifesting itself you will just get a state of wanting nothing more. allow your desires to be released into the Universe.

Moon Lore

The lunar phase is important in determining the best time for magic. There are basically two lunar phases: waxing moon (ideal time for positive magic) and waning moon (ideal time for banishing/negative magic, study, and meditation). In between you'll have the dark moon (the time of greatest power for banishing and negative magic) and the full moon (the time of greatest power for positive magic).

Most witches and pagans work around these lunar phases. However, others, like Silver RavenWolf, suggest a much more complicated subdivision of the moon phases.

WAXING MOON

Time: From New Moon to Full Moon (Approx 14 days)
Crescent - The moon rises at mid-morning and sets after sunset.
First Quarter - Sunset is the prime time for waxing moon magic.
Gibbous - It's a wonderful time for working around 10:00 to 11:00 p.m.

Goddess Aspect: Maiden.
Associated Goddesses: Artemis, Branwen, Eriu, Nymph, and Epona.
Magickal Attributes: INVOKING Beginnings, New projects, Ideas, Ispirations, Energy, Vitality, Freedom.
General w orkings on this day are for: "Constructive" magic, (love, wealth, success, courage, friendship, luck or health.)
Crescent Moon - animals, business, change, emotions, matriarchal strength.
Gibbous Moon - courage, elemental magic, friends, luck, motivation.

FULL MOON

Time: Approx 14 days after New Moon (Energy lasts from 3 days before Full Moon to 3 days after actual Full Moon) Midnight is the best hour to work the magic.
Goddess Aspect: Mother.
Associated Goddesses: Danu, Cerridwen, Gaia, Aphrodite, and Isis.
Magickal Attributes: FRUITION Manifesting goals, Nurturing, Passion, Healing, Strength, Power.
Workings on this day are for: Protection, Divination, "Extra Power", Job hunting, healing serious conditions. Also love, knowledge, legal undertakings, money and dreams, artistic endeavors, beauty, health, and fitness, change and decisions, children, competition, dreams, families, health and healing, knowledge, legal undertakings, love and romance, money, motivation, psychism, self-improvement.

WANING MOON

Time: From Full Moon to Dark Moon (Approx 14 days)
Disseminating Moon - Timing: The time of souls is at 3:00 a.m.
Last Quarter - The moon rises at midnight and sets at noon.
Goddess Aspect: Crone
Associated Goddesses: Callieach, Banshee, Hecate, Kali, Morrigan.
Magickal Attributes: BANISHING Releasing the Old, Removing Unwanted Negative Energies, Wisdom, Psychic Abilities, Scrying, Reversing Circumstances.
General workings on this day are for: Banishing Magic, ridding onelsef of addictions, illness or negativity, physical and psychic cleanisings.
Disseminating Moon - addictions, decisions, divorce, emotions, stress, protection.
Last Quarter - addictions. divorce, health and healing (banishing disease), stress, protection

NEW MOON

Time: From Dark Moon to Waxing Moon (depends).
New moon - The magic should be performed between dawn and sunset for the best use of this magic.
Dark Moon - As odd as this may sound, the strongest pull of the dark moon is around 10:00 a.m.
Goddess Aspect: Madien
Associated Goddesses: Callieach, Banshee, Hecate, Kali, Morrigan.
Magickal Attributes: BANISHING Releasing the Old, Removing Unwanted Negative Energies, Wisdom, Psychic Abilities, Scrying, Reversing Circumstances.
NEW BEGINNINGS Weight loss, Goal setting, Planning, Cleaning, Personal Cleansing, General beginnings and considerations.

Workings on this day are for: Starting new ventures, new beginnings, love, romance, health, or job hunting.
New moon - beauty, health, and self-improvement; farms and gardens; job hunting; love and romance; networking.
Dark moon - addictions, change, divorce, enemies, justice, obstacles, quarrels, removal, separation, stopping stalkers and theft.

Lunar Eclipses

Eclipses represent the perfect union of sun and moon. Any type of magic is acceptable.
There are 2 types of lunar eclipse:
Partial eclipse
Penumbral eclipse of the moon

Blue Moon

The first appearance in print of this expression goes back to the time of Shakespeare, when some folks felt that sometimes the moon visually appeared blue in the sky. Although the expression dates all that way back, it has only recently come to mean the second Full Moon in one month. Blue Moon seems to be a truly modern piece of folklore, old folklore it is not, but real folklore it is.

Your geographic location can make a difference to your experience of a Blue Moon. Depending on your longitude you may go through a date change prior to other locations which means the full moon is at the first of your new month and falls at the end of the preceding month somewhere else. The "blue" one is always the 2nd full moon in the same month. The regular full moons of each month all have their own individual names as follows: Moon after Yule, Wolf Moon, Lenten Moon, Egg Moon, Milk Moon, Flower Moon, Hay Moon, Grain Moon, Fruit Moon, Harvest Moon, Hunters' Moon and Moon Before Yule.

Historically the Blue Moon was considered unlucky and a real nuisance when it occurred at various times of the year and upset scheduling of church festivals. In love songs the Blue Moon is often a symbol of sadness and loneliness.
The first appearance in print of this expression goes back to the time of Shakespeare, when some folks felt that sometimes the moon visually appeared blue in the sky. Although the expression dates all that way back, it has only recently come to mean the second Full Moon in one month. Blue Moon seems to be a truly modern piece of folklore, old folklore it is not, but real folklore it is.

New moon, Dark moon.

Dark moon occurs either side of the new moon. The new moon is between the last of the waning moon and the beginning of the waxing moon. The new moon has the power of in-between, a time which is not a time, similar to midday, midnight etc. If doing a Dark Moon rite, the active part of the ritual should be a good 45 minutes out from the actual new moon as the energies can be erratic. Also the waning moon allows you to calm down and tune out.

I hope this makes sense as I have rambled on a bit.

Blessings

Storm xxxxxxxxx