Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 05-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Mandarava

Guru Rinpoche Day

It's Guru Rinpoche day today and I've been trying to find the tune to ''The Shower Of Blessing'' text. My partner and me used to do this together but we havn't done it for a while and my partner has since stepped onto a new path of practice.I don't know the tune to do it on my own. Can anyone give me a link to anything that might be of help.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Experiencer
Just to clarify, Guru Rinpoche is only significant to Tibetans and not to other Buddhist traditions.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Mandarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana
Just to clarify, Guru Rinpoche is only significant to Tibetans and not to other Buddhist traditions.

I thought Guru Rinpoche was the second Buddha.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Experiencer
Tibetans believe that - but Guru Rinpoche has no significance in Zen or Theravada Buddhism, for example.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Mandarava

Quote:
Tibetans believe that - but Guru Rinpoche has no significance in Zen or Theravada Buddhism, for example.

Do you know if Chenrezig and Green Tara have any significance in these schools of Buddhism?

If Guru Rinpoche has no significance in Theravadan Buddhism then that must mean that The Buddha himself did not speak of him.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Mandarava

Did not speak fo Guru Rinpoche I mean.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandarava
Do you know if Chenrezig and Green Tara have any significance in these schools of Buddhism?

If Guru Rinpoche has no significance in Theravadan Buddhism then that must mean that The Buddha himself did not speak of him.

Chenrezig and Tara don't have any significance in Theravada or Zen. The Pali Canon certainly doesn't have any record of the Buddha speaking of Guru Rinpoche who lived centuries later than Buddha.
Historians also now confirm that Mahayana sutras were written a lot later than the time of the Buddha -(which is why its said they were hidden by dragons or nagas for hundreds of years.... and so on)
Old 10-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Mandarava

Quote:
Chenrezig and Tara don't have any significance in Theravada or Zen. The Pali Canon certainly doesn't have any record of the Buddha speaking of Guru Rinpoche who lived centuries later than Buddha.
Historians also now confirm that Mahayana sutras were written a lot later than the time of the Buddha -(which is why its said they were hidden by dragons or nagas for hundreds of years.... and so on)

See.... that's exactly my argument with people. If things get added or taken away then the only thing we're left with is Confussion, why?... because we don't know what the Buddha actually said anymore. I'm talking from a Karma Kagyu point of view.I have since realised ( through google and our little chats here ) that Theravadan is the actual teachings of the Buddha.Seems I didn't have the karma to figure this out till now though.I took refuge in the Karma Kagyu tradition in the year 2000.