Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 23-11-2013, 11:51 AM
DeepForest

I deliberately let myself stay in states of confusion where the mental representation of the world and myself gets fragmented. It's part of exploring in my view. I think the difference between the spiritual and the ill is determined by the strength and activity of the ego in these states, and not necessarily determined by the content of these states. Let go of ego and we pass through it.. Reaching sanity at the higher spiritual level initially sets the lower level mental (the unrealized mind) of out of order, creating confusion, I guess. We should continue to realize the higher level and not get caught in the confusion resulting at the lower mundane mental functioning; the confusion resulting when we finally succeed at approaching the higher. .
Old 23-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Ivy

Deepforest, loss of identity (ego) is something that is recognised in psychology.

In particular, when trauma occurs, the way in which a person thinks of themselves and the world around them (their ego) disintegrates very very rapidly.

So no, letting go of ego is not the road for the person without any sense of identity. Nor is the illusion of higher/lower selves helpful to someone with narcissistic personality disorder.

There are so many different clusters of symptoms that are called mental disorders, that no one way can fit them all.
Old 23-11-2013, 10:42 PM
MeowCatCakes

I agree with you, but on the other hand the scientists and doctors could also be right. Both theories could be possible at the same time. Although, a lot of these symptoms are present in those awakening.

I have been meditating to open my third eye for a few days now, and ever since I have felt exactly like that. In addition, I sometimes hear music in my head that I've never heard before, and I sometimes have trouble comprehending written sentences. I can read, and I know what each word means, but the meaning on the entire sentence just takes that bit more to sink in than it would have two weeks ago.
Old 24-11-2013, 10:36 AM
MeowCatCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexa_summer
I agree with both of you.
People are medicated too much.
I found another thing...apparently seeing auras, hallucinating or hearing voices are symptoms of illness as well. Which doesn't explain the meaning behind the voices they hear. Schizophrenics could actually just be clairvoyant

Alexa, my mother has a severe form of schizophrenia and trust me it's beyond her just being clairvoyant. She has her moments when she is normal, but then has her fits. She begins thinking that everyone is evil and out to get her, even her loved ones, she sees things such as demons and after, when she'd calm down, she wouldn't remember a single thing.
Old 24-11-2013, 04:32 PM
livingkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopylucid
I work in mental health and have had this debate so many times now but it always blows my brains out! but i personally always come back to one point, how can someone else be trained to tell the difference? How can we know for instance that indeed all spiritual awakenings or whatever we call them, arent indeed mental illness or vice versa, is there a line?

I get what you're saying ...
From a medical stand point, its best for people to understand that the doctor is relying on the information/history the patient provides as well as their own medical expertise to make a diagnosis, treat physical ailments as well provide a referral, if needed, to the best treatment possible ...

I agree w/others, there are some very weird things said here ...
Some people are intent on suggesting a positive outlook in the most painful of active situations by saying God has a purpose, the pain will teach you, you attracted this experience, etc ...
Not only is it crazy talk, a person loses credibility due to it b/c its dismissive, hurtful & trivializing their pain ...
That's enough to anger anyone or have them roll their eyes at you ...
When a person is experiencing pain (nobody likes pain) its best to acknowledge, maybe provide practical advice & either sympathize or empathize then leave it at that ...
I've also read advice that clearly suggests "stuff your feelings" rather than suggesting coping skills - practical knowledge ...
Another is communicating effectively, some posts & replies are written in circles-- too taxing to read that one loses interest or a decoder ring is needed to decipher it ...
JMHO ...
Old 25-11-2013, 01:06 PM
Free_Spirit1983

We live in a society where it's normal to live in slavery to a piece of paper with no transient value whatsoever,

It's also normal for us to spend our days stuck in boxes staring at computer screens so we can put food on our tables and a roof over our heads..

It's normal to have a diet inclusive of chemical laden ****, almost unrecognisable as "food"

It's normal to live in a world of separateness, seeingourselves as distinct and seperate to the next person and that one-ness is some bonkers concept create by some dillusional new ager - dispite the fact that everything is energy and vibration, from our physical form to the space between each and every one of us, exactly the same "stuff" atoms vibrating and different frequencies..

The people who have spoon fed us the notion that all this is "normal" are the same people who label anyone experiencing their spiritual awakening, recognising their connection to everyone else and to the cosmos, who can see through the illusion of separation as the ones who are the nut jobs!

It's very topsy turvey at the moment but people are waking up :)

Don't go back to sleep :)

xxx
Old 26-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free_Spirit1983
We live in a society where it's normal to live in slavery to a piece of paper with no transient value whatsoever,

It's also normal for us to spend our days stuck in boxes staring at computer screens so we can put food on our tables and a roof over our heads..

It's normal to have a diet inclusive of chemical laden ****, almost unrecognisable as "food"

It's normal to live in a world of separateness, seeingourselves as distinct and seperate to the next person and that one-ness is some bonkers concept create by some dillusional new ager - dispite the fact that everything is energy and vibration, from our physical form to the space between each and every one of us, exactly the same "stuff" atoms vibrating and different frequencies..

The people who have spoon fed us the notion that all this is "normal" are the same people who label anyone experiencing their spiritual awakening, recognising their connection to everyone else and to the cosmos, who can see through the illusion of separation as the ones who are the nut jobs!

It's very topsy turvey at the moment but people are waking up :)

Don't go back to sleep :)

xxx

Wow that is a great post!

Wherever I May Roam
https://youtu.be/Qq9PxuAsiR4
Old 06-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Experiencer
N/a ///////////////
Old 06-12-2013, 08:25 AM
Experiencer
This was a good post
Quote:
Originally Posted by simcau
While not exactly a scientific view, my take on mental illness is that unless it negatively impacts the person's life, it shouldn't be considered mental illness.

If a person has a giant blue space hamster named Ned that has accompanied them through their life, and all the while its been whispering tales of a plane of existence where ascended souls turn into zebras and eat from gumball trees, than unless it's causing problems it shouldn't be considered to be one. If it doesn't turn them violent, cause interpersonal issues, depression, an inability to work etc than let them and Ned be in peace. It doesn't hurt them or others.

I don't know if it still does, but years ago the psychiatric definition of "Delusion" contained exclusions for common religious or cultural beliefs. Meaning if a country had a historical belief in Ned from above (Nedism), it wouldn't be considered a delusion for someone from that country to be a Neddite. Yet if only a handful of people were Neddites, than it would be a delusion. Even though it would be the exact same belief, it would only be seen as a possible symptom of mental illness if few people believed it. So really, what is sanity? Because if sanity is simply what the majority thinks, many times throughout history the views held by the majority have been discovered to be incorrect.

I think it's healthy to hold a degree of skepticism for anything that lacks hard definitive proof, but no two people are ever going to have the same lives. They will have different experiences with friends, family, strangers, dreams, animals, etc. Something that may seem outlandish to one person, based off of their life experiences, may seem overwhelmingly true to another, due to what they've experienced. Unless it is causing actual harm, I think it's wrong to tell someone that their view of life and reality itself is incorrect, just because their experiences led to conclusions that differ from others. In my view the mental illness net is cast too widely these days.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:33 AM
Master
I'm always a little suspicious of mental health professionals, because, as Free_Spirit says, they seem to equate the prevalent state of consciousness with sanity; what they regard as sane doesn't seem particularly sane to me.

Though I'm a raving loon, so what would I know