Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 22-12-2011, 02:32 PM
geri

What is the harm in believing

What is the harm in believing in an intelligence and wisdom greater than our own, when acted upon can overcome all our difficulties? I know difficulties are part of life, but the lesson is learned when we know how to overcome them. I believe that it is more benificial for us to believe that we can avail ourselves to a higher source that has answers for us, so we can learn to live a life of harmony, love, health, and abundance.
What is the harm in believing in a God, a creator, a higher intelligence that wants and desires nothing but the highest good for us? Would'nt that take a lot of weight off our shoulders and give us more peace in our minds. To be able to rest in the idea that we do not have to be stuck or be a victim in any situation we do not want to be in. Having a belief like this, I think would do away with most depression. Believing I can have happiness in my life. Not believing this, seems to me, leaves a lot of room for hoplessness. Like I asked, "what is the harm?" I'm not saying you have to believe this, but would'nt you feel better if you did? I do. As a man believes in his heart so it is. Just some food for thought. Be well and have a great day.
Old 22-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Humm

Everything has a use and a misuse. Everything.

There are no ready formulas or easy answers. The universe seems to reward awareness. Dogma is stepping out of awareness, whether secular or religious.

As history shows, there can be great harm from religious fervor, just as there can be great good. It all depends on moving forward appropriately (in awareness) to achieve one's desired goal.
Old 22-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Master

I believe in the Powers That Be. A possible group of higher entities affecting this world. The God concept I have a lot more trouble with, as it implies all power and therefore also all responsibilities lies on one single desk, begging the question of how someone all powerful can allow a world this full of pain and contradiction and still claim to be pure love. You kind of EXPECT a committee to mess up a bit here and there :)
Old 22-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Shabby

I don't think there is any harm in believing in a God as long as we know that it's a belief. If we believe it is true and real then what are we saying about those that don't believe in a God? This is where the belief in a God could be harmful and cause suffering.
Old 22-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Master
i believe in the Divine Circumstance, the infinite arena of possibilities, impossible possibilities.

not even the gods can exist without a Circumstance to exist in.
Old 22-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Guide
I like the idea of a higher being or beings that are interested in the human race. I agree with the thought that geri stated here:
Quote:
Believing I can have happiness in my life. Not believing this, seems to me, leaves a lot of room for hopelessness.
In my experience the mind is the best tool any of us have. Whether it be a gift from a higher being or not, I don’t know. I think that knowing how we can affect our own lives by being positive is always a good thing. Surrounding ourselves with good, positive energy, can only be helpful. There is no harm in believing; believing in something does give me hope. Thank you geri for posting this thread and have a wonderful day yourself.
Old 22-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Eudaimonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by geri
What is the harm in believing in an intelligence and wisdom greater than our own, when acted upon can overcome all our difficulties?

No harm, if this comes from sufficient reason to compel honest and rational belief.

Otherwise, the harm is that it requires that one sacrifice one's intellectual, and possibly moral, integrity. One would be unable to be true to oneself.

eudaimonia,

Mark
Old 22-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eudaimonist
No harm, if this comes from sufficient reason to compel honest and rational belief.

Otherwise, the harm is that it requires that one sacrifice one's intellectual, and possibly moral, integrity. One would be unable to be true to oneself.

eudaimonia,

Mark
This.

It's one thing to have a set of personal reasons and convictions in a belief in deity or whatever else, but doing it simply because of the appeal & out of wishful thinking doesn't sit well with me.
Old 23-12-2011, 01:15 AM
Master
I see beliefs as prisons, once you believe in something you lock yourself in that belief, not allowing yourself to continue on exploring, when you know something or realize truth from within, why do you need to believe. You can see the sun shining, why do you need to believe in the sun, truth is ever flowing, if you take one small part of truth and try to hold it and no let it continue, what you have will go stagnate and will after some time stink, you then try to push this stinking so called truth onto others.
Old 23-12-2011, 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geri
What is the harm in believing in an intelligence and wisdom greater than our own, ....... Just some food for thought.

Hi geri,
Are you talking about ''blind'' belief - the kind with no experience ---like trusting past poets and writers and scriptures that there is something called a God?
(Blake, Kabir, the Gita...)

I don't see any harm. Why would these people lie?
Why would their words strike a chord in our hearts anyway?
Did they see something?
Did their excitement cause them to write page after page about their Cosmic Consciousness?

I believe they did - I may not go along with their interpretation...

However, I personally don't have an experience of a 'blind anything' --- I think it is sweet people believe in something they have never ever
had an experience of --- I wish more people "knew" their was a Holy Spirit or Presence of God...oh well.
All in good time.

(Watch the atheists will jump down my throat for saying that...whatever.)

Religions and dogma of any kind I feel limit the soul's experience.
But a simple belief in a Creator that is benevolent - what harm could there be ?
I think you are right.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru