Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 20-02-2013, 07:28 AM
Master

Ooo la la, Stephen, your post #17 has some intriguing links I'll have to check in to. I like Mercola. I've heard of the book you mention but never read it. I think I might have to give it a look again.

I've thought the paleo people had the best ideas in my fairly recent research into diets. Nothing extreme, basically cuts out processed foods, dairy if you wish and grains. I don't believe all people tolerate vegetarianism well. Some people look vibrant, others look like death warmed over really, especially their eyes, dark circles and a dull look, no sparkle. I just don't think one size fits all when it comes to diet, much as some like to think otherwise. People want to follow formulas rather than listen to their bodies.

Am I remembering right, doesn't Jaminet think potatoes are okay? I think I recall that because I was surprised.

Last edited by in progress : 20-02-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 20-02-2013, 04:18 PM
StephenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by in progress
Ooo la la, Stephen, your post #17 has some intriguing links I'll have to check in to. I like Mercola. I've heard of the book you mention but never read it. I think I might have to give it a look again.

I've thought the paleo people had the best ideas in my fairly recent research into diets. Nothing extreme, basically cuts out processed foods, dairy if you wish and grains. I don't believe all people tolerate vegetarianism well. Some people look vibrant, others look like death warmed over really, especially their eyes, dark circles and a dull look, no sparkle. I just don't think one size fits all when it comes to diet, much as some like to think otherwise. People want to follow formulas rather than listen to their bodies.

Am I remembering right, doesn't Jaminet think potatoes are okay? I think I recall that because I was surprised.

I believe you will truly enjoy this book! I'm still in the early part of it's reading and I'm very pleased with the work they put into it! I'm already on-board with their approach... in fact it seems that my wife and I have been training all along to be doing just this type of nutrient exposure.

Here's the link to their web site:
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/

I can see why Mercola was quoting from their book... Mercola has grown over the years... in 2009 he was mostly into raw, but he shifted since his interviews with Natasha Campbell-Mcbride (founder of GAP's) and this book would easily align with that shift.

It's funny how we can get hung-up on labels. The word "Paleo" starts to sound like a "diet", in the way "Weight Watchers" or "Jenny Craig" has established a formula of commercialized eating. But in studying how Paleo has come about, and to then watch it being transformed as 'clarifying' information comes forward, I've come to see it as a flexible work-in-progress. Paleo is an appreciation of our historical exposure to nutrition. And Paleo steadily transforms as our understanding of where we came from, nutritionally, matures. The book "Perfect Health Diet" and their website, helps to nicely move this understanding along. Eventually, what is now called Paleo, will be the definitive appreciation as to our biological origins. It's still a work in progress, but it's already more tactile and biologically insightful than any of the other "disciplines" that I've encountered to date.

I purchased the Kindle version, but will likely buy the paper version as well for my wife... she's very interested in the read, but she prefers holding a book... I can relate... It's taking me a long time to adapt to the book-by-computer thingy..... there are very few books that I would double-down on like this... but I can already tell that this one's a keeper...! :^)

And yes potatoes are okay... for a breakdown of their recommended dietary exposure go here :^)
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/the-diet/
Old 20-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Master

I confess I ordered the book shortly after the post. It should an interesting read because I recall hearing an interview of him on a podcast and I recall it was quite interesting.
Old 20-02-2013, 07:31 PM
StephenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by in progress
I confess I ordered the book shortly after the post. It should an interesting read because I recall hearing an interview of him on a podcast and I recall it was quite interesting.
Wonderful! If you're wishing to discuss it along the way let me know... I'll be happy to explore the many details! :^)
Old 16-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Master
I think i'llh ave to subscribe to getting email notifications from SF just to get your information! I'm glad I came across here!
Old 17-03-2013, 11:34 PM
Master
Went to the store to get some things to juice. Sigh... $113.77 :-(

Need something to watch, guess I'll check out the links..
Old 18-03-2013, 12:31 AM
StephenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarian
Went to the store to get some things to juice. Sigh... $113.77 :-(

Need something to watch, guess I'll check out the links..

How did you do that? :^)

We shop around and get differing organic fruits and veggies from all over... we always check with Costco first since they sometimes have great prices, usually on organic carrots (59 cents a pound for a 10 pound bag) and lately organic apples for one dollar a pound.... Safeway is beginning to go more organic and we sometimes find deals there... and local fruit markets sometimes carry deals as well... usually our last option is the co-op, they're almost twice as much as many of the deals we're able to find elsewhere, but are really valuable when it comes to more hard-to-find organic varieties...

Also, when it comes to veggies we tilted to the more wetter varieties... cucumbers, celery, tomatoes... these give us a bigger bang for our buck.... we still diversify but to a lessor amount with the drier veggies..
Our grocery bill has actually gone down some since we've shifted to juicing (as a supplement) and since we started heading to a more fat rich ketogenic diet (we're not nearly as hungry as we used to be, so less food then less volume :^)

Also a good juicer makes a world of difference! We us a masticating juicer which is really stingy when it comes to extraction... some cheaper juicers can plow through almost twice the amount of veggies/fruit in order to extract the same amount of juice... so a good juicer at the get-go is worth it's weight in gold over the long run! Our current one was $235.

Our next dream juicer will run around $1,100.... and goodness does it look efficient in the videos I've seen.... :^)
Old 18-03-2013, 02:34 AM
Master
Just drivin' by, Stephen, checking out your thread here...noticed you commenting about no pasta - I ordered this from Vitacost a couple days ago:

Tinkyada Brown Rice Little Dreams Pasta Gluten Free and other styles of the same, what do you think? Is this okay?

Old 18-03-2013, 02:36 AM
Master
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarian
I think i'llh ave to subscribe to getting email notifications from SF just to get your information! I'm glad I came across here!
'

Hi Sarian ~ hope all is well in your neck o' the woods!

(I sure do miss your many photos of the beautiful area you live in. They were so healing to me!)

Btw, Stephen - your link to the dance by Mr. Walken is grrreat! It's so uplifting in a strange way - music's cool.

Old 18-03-2013, 02:15 PM
StephenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvergirl
- I ordered this from Vitacost a couple days ago:
Tinkyada Brown Rice Little Dreams Pasta Gluten Free and other styles of the same, what do you think? Is this okay?

Hi Silvergirl

I ran and checked on it, and as processed items go it looks pretty good! My favorite book at the moment is the "Perfect Health Diet" and in it Paul Jaminet views rice as a "safe carb"..... he tilts heavily toward starches for carbs in our diet since there's no fructose in starches, just glucose... he tends to favor white rice over brown because, if they're organic and once cooked, there are no plant toxins in white rice, while there's still a little bit in the brown...

But overall rice itself blows the doors off the cereal grain wheat!

Here's a good page that summarizes some of the dangers of wheat, along with a short snippet:

http://www.meltbutteryspread.com/the-controversy-of-wheat-and-for-that-matter-all-cereal-grains%E2%80%A6/
  • Gluten, a compound protein that triggers autoimmune disease and promotes cancer, heart disease, and neuropathy.
  • Opioids, which make wheat addictive and trigger schizophrenia.
  • Wheat germ agglutinin, a protein that damages the intestine and interferes with vitamin D action, thus sabotaging the immune system and promoting chronic infections.
And here's another page from my fave author at the moment that deals directly with some of the issues that I know you've been dealing with:
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/07/bowel-disease-part-ii-healing-the-gut-by-eliminating-food-toxins/

So whether processed or not rice is by far the better choice!! :^)

And thanks for the comment on Christopher Walken's dance video! I just love that thing every time I watch it!!