Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 22-12-2011, 06:30 AM
StephenK

Here's a site that has an online book about the subject of raw foods that appears to be really comprehensive! I'm posting the page url that goes right to the
book (there's no need to submit an email address to read it :^)

Introduction to Raw Food Explained
http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/science.html
Old 22-12-2011, 01:36 PM
DebbyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenK
Much more found at the following link:

http://blog.cholesterol-and-health.com/2011/10/wheat-belly-toll-of-hubris-on-human.html

Wheat Belly -- The Toll of Hubris on Human Health

According to Dr. Davis, the introduction of mutant, high-yield dwarf wheat in the 1960s and the misguided national crusade against fat and cholesterol that caught steam in the
1980s have conspired together as a disastrous duo to produce an epidemic of obesity and heart disease, leaving not even the contours of our skin or the hairs on our heads
untouched. Indeed, Dr. Davis argues, this mutant monster we call wheat is day by day acidifying our bones, crinkling our skin, turning our blood vessels into sugar cubes,
turning our faces into bagels, and turning our brains into mush. [/font]

............ As a result, we get fat. And not just any fat — belly fat. ..........

[/font]

Recently I've been reading about the importance of soaking your grains, beans and nuts and seeds to elimate the phytic acid that is in them. Phytic acid inhibits the ability of your body to absorb most of the nutrients that those products contain. The calcium that is in them and occasionally also consumed with them is unable to access and strengthen your bones as a result. Phytic acid specifically is apparently also very damaging to tooth enamel and bone structure as it circulates in the system.

In Dr. Davis' article, he fails to mention any of that as he castigates wheat, mentioning specifically that it 'acidifies our bones', et al. He goes on to say that wheat contributes to 'belly fat', when in fact where fat is deposited on the human body is strictly the pervue of genetics and not a type of food. http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/192344.../#.TvMuVnGAdcw

While he may have some points on other issues that I didn't really look at, because of my recent reading, those two issues jumped out at me. Any kind of grain can present problems when it isn't prepared properly but at the same time, those items are chock full of minerals and vitamins. Iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium, to name just a few. As I read his little statement, I can only wonder who is signing his checks on this one, simply because he leaves out most of the picture as it pertains to the nutrients of wheat. Maybe there is something that I'm missing here, but that's the way I see it.
Old 22-12-2011, 03:14 PM
StephenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM
Recently I've been reading about the importance of soaking your grains, beans and nuts and seeds to elimate the phytic acid that is in them. Phytic acid inhibits the ability of your body to absorb most of the nutrients that those products contain. The calcium that is in them and occasionally also consumed with them is unable to access and strengthen your bones as a result. Phytic acid specifically is apparently also very damaging to tooth enamel and bone structure as it circulates in the system.

Hmmm... msnbc... you know they're tools, right?

Across the board most all effective health and weight related diets tend to eliminate grain... that, and concentrated processed sweeteners.

My wife and I were getting sketchy results with our weight loss efforts until the grains were extracted, then things started moving. This also affected her
diabetic readings.. they dropped as well and quite instantly.

And you even go into some detail about the risks inherent in "unsoaked" grains. Tooth decay is one of the most obvious symptoms that crop up
when an indigenous population converts to a more western style diet.. I suspect your own observations in regards to Phytic acid may play a roll
in this...

I honestly don't see what lobby would be "signing his checks" as you'd think it to be the other way around. That the wheat lobby would be using "scientist" to
spike the info in favor of their interests. He makes a point in the article that wheat is not what it used to be. That the current strains have been
torqued toward production as a primary, all other concerns be damned.

This has been the theme with most all current productions within the corporate farming industry. The corn industry creates inedible corn that
has to be processed and recombined to be usable... production at the expense of nutrition.

I hear sprouting is one way to maximize the value of grains but we're needing to return to the heirloom varieties to do so... relying on commercial
is spooky, for the sake of both this compromise in nutrition and the default exposure to a variety of chemicals.

I honestly don't see a desperate need to include grains... these minerals and vitamins are available through far safer means...

...grain isn't necessary! why go there?
Old 22-12-2011, 06:25 PM
DebbyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenK
I honestly don't see a desperate need to include grains... these minerals and vitamins are available through far safer means...

...grain isn't necessary! why go there?

Strangely I'm having trouble reconnecting to the link I provided, but I stand by the statement that I made (which it was supposed to support) and that is that our fat is deposited on the body as per our genetics and not because we eat a certain kind of food as was suggested by the good doctor. Really, he should know better. But then how much do doctors know about nutrition?

Is it possible that your weight loss was due to simply cutting down on the number of empty calories that you were consuming? And that grain would have provided you with empty calories if the phytic acid was inhibiting your body from absorbing the goodies that grain and seeds and nuts can offer.

Considering that veg'ns receive proteins (plus the other stuff) from grains, and as he promotes a low carb, high fat diet, the beef, pork and chicken industries pop immediately into mind as we consider 'who might be signing the checks'. Obviously it wouldn't be wheat boards who would as you put it, spike the info.

Yes other things do provide the nutrition that grain offers, but why eliminate a food item which when prepared properly and not overused, can give you variety and nutrition? Anything can make you fat if that is a concern, if you overdo it. Besides,the reason that grains as they are used today, are not 'safe' is because we've all opted for quick, fast food, instant this, instant that. And the grains that are available are generally heat treated to inhibit the natural oils from going rancid and once that is done, it is not possible to even soak away the phytic acid. I am under the impression that toasting (grains, nuts, seeds) locks in the phytic acid. And that means your rolled oats, flour, and toasted nuts and seeds and any other toasted grains (like Kasha) is actually not good for you. In these instances I would agree with you.

In the old days, when our food prep was handled differently, there were fewer additives, grains were soaked to speed up cooking the next day, bread was made at home and often using home made sourdough yeast preparations (fermenting as in raising bread over a longer term also minimizes phytic acid). Nowadays commercial bread items include additives that are actually detrimental to our health, like bromine (or is it bromide?). Anyway, bromide (?) blocks the thyroid from taking in whatever pathetic amount of iodine our diets actually contain, and the result is that the thyroid doesn't function properly and the outcome of a malfunctioning thyroid is weight gain/inability to loose weight. So is it really the wheat? Or how we use it?

Regards,
Debby
Old 23-12-2011, 04:05 AM
StephenK

Quote:
Strangely I'm having trouble reconnecting to the link I provided, but I stand by the statement that I made (which it was supposed to support) and that is that our fat is deposited on the body as per our genetics and not because we eat a certain kind of food as was suggested by the good doctor. Really, he should know better. But then how much do doctors know about nutrition?

I'm running short on time, so I'm not able to tread deeply into this, but I wanted to share this tidbit with you...

I encourage you to exercise caution when it comes to accepting anything that's put-out-there by the media at large... this assertion that certain foods
doesn't influence where fat's are deposited was an easy one to debunk:

-----***----begin quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdominal_obesity

<snip>
-----***---- end quote

I've been studying a great deal about making beer lately (got a really nice beer making starter kit for christmas :^) and have been learning how
they're making malts.... fascinating really... it seems grain is loaded with carbs.. so much so that it's perfect food for the brewers yeast to feed on and thus
converting the grain sugars to alcohol. Barley has the highest amount.. but the rest are fairly impressive.

So in the wikapedia quote above they note that there "is" a direct correlation between belly fat and eating... it's not dependent fully on genetics...

now let's bounce through a few links:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/wholewheatbread.htm
But whole wheat and white bread have essentially the same impact on blood sugar, which is to say you might as well be eating a big spoonful
of sugar. Another way of saying this is that most bread has a high glycemic index.

then check out the carb content in grains in general:
http://www.carbs-information.com/carbs-in-grains.htm

and then this fun little piece:
Unglued: The Sticky Truth About Wheat, Dairy, Corn and Soy
http://www.celiac.com/articles/21582/1/Unglued-The-Sticky-Truth-About-Wheat-Dairy-Corn-and-Soy/Page1.html

So by my wife and I steering clear of grains the effect would be noticeable in both her glucometer readings And in our waistline...

I'm thinking that this doctor is on to something when it comes to the unhealthful impacts of wheat... :^)

Edited by SF Staff

Last edited by arive nan : 29-01-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 23-12-2011, 02:10 PM
DebbyM

Hi Stephen,

I skimmed a couple of your links and found the info quite interesting, Good to know some of these things.

I should mention that I've never suggested that overeating of grain products is a good thing, as with most things, moderation and proper preparation.

From one of your links, this:

While, generally, physical condition and physical activity has a genetic and hormonal influence, fat distribution is influenced by age, genetic inheritance, race, but to a greater extent by gender-specific hormones. They are responsible for the distribution of fat on certain areas of our bodies. Estrogens, for example, which are responsible for the typical female sexual characteristics, will influence fat deposit in the pear format. They deposit on the hips, thighs, and belly, while testosterone will "lead" fat mostly towards the stomach and upper body. http://www.dietsindex.com/learn/body...n-factors.html

I've read this one several times and I can't see a specific food factor indicated anywhere. I still believe that fat from a certain type of food doesn't automatically go to your belly or your backside. Genetics, hormones, gender specific patterns.

I looked at the link you provided about carbs information and noted this in every description: "Oats and grains which are higher in insoluble fiber content (mainly cellulose) are digested more slowly, ......... Eating more fiber helps to reduce the effect of high glycemic index foods by lowering the glycemic value of meals."

and in looking at that sites remarks on high glycemic index foods, they are shown to be triggers for strong insulin responses(which I'm sure you know)and possibly an increased risk of heart disease. And as previously noted, the insoluble fiber in grain is helpful in mitigating the effects of a high glycemic diet and the last statement:

"Despite the apparent associations between high-glycemic-index carbs and insulin resistance, and the fact that the latter can be reduced by a lower glycemic index diet plan, there is no scientific evidence that insulin resistance is caused by eating carbs with a high-glycemic-index rating. Insulin resistance is largely the result of genetics, strongly influenced by body fitness and body weight."

Moderation in all things is the answer, and eliminating grains entirely from your diet is not moderation. It is more accurately an extreme reaction. Considering that carbohydrates are required by the body to provide a constant stream of energy and that a diet lacking said carbs will result in fatigue, poor mental function, poor waste management as well as problems with how our brains, heart and nervous system work.

The protein that is preferred in the low carb/high fat diet provides building blocks for tissue growth but it isn't the source of the fuel that moves the machine.

The average North American diet seems to consist these days, of an excess of poorly prepared grains, excessive meat and a minimum of fruits and vegetables. In that context, grains (aren't good for you). But they can be part of a healthy and balanced diet.

It's been nice discussing this with you and you did bring to my attention additional info that I can add to a better understanding of how my food affects my body and I thank you for that. Have a nice day Stephen. And merry Christmas to you and yours.
Old 23-12-2011, 03:34 PM
StephenK

Quote:
The average North American diet seems to consist these days, of an excess of poorly prepared grains, excessive meat and a minimum of fruits and vegetables. In that context, grains (aren't good for you). But they can be part of a healthy and balanced diet.

I first want to thank you for going-here with me! This is what forum participation is all about when approached properly! We entertain a
disagreement, both do our homework, and then compare notes along the way... it doesn't get any better than this!

I do agree with much of the above! But I do want to point out that throughout this conversation you've been threading a needle in defense
of eating grain. You admit that there are dangers and risks when taking-in grains, then try selectively to validate their use. When I read your
description of how to handle grains I keep getting this image of the Puffer Fish, considered a delicacy in Japan. If it isn't properly prepared it can
seriously poison or kill the individual who eats it... lucky for the Japaneses the puffer fish isn't daily fare! It's highly unlikely that everyone in japan
would be up to the task for the consistent follow-through of due diligence!

So were we to thread this needle to extract the benefits from grain, we would need to bring the manufactures along in regards to proper prep, the
growers and seed companies would have to clean up their act, and then hopefully our genetics would cooperate.... for if the location of fat deposits
is genetically influenced then perhaps the wheel of luck will individually land in our favor.

We honestly are not that desperate for nourishment that we have to subject ourselves to a risk that's so suggestively obvious. There's a trend that's
growing within the raw food movement that's really quite wise and worth seriously looking into. What many are doing is investing in a series of
blood/urine tests in order to establish a baseline for their overall health and nutritional levels. Then periodically go back and run the tests again. This
way they can track what their bodies are lacking and fine-tune their nutritional needs. Sounds wise to me...

Science has finally progressed to where we can establish and maintain a fairly comprehensive inside-look as to what's going on, and then address such needs as they arise... we no longer
have to do the shotgun approach to nutrition in the hopes that we can cover all bases... we can selectively chose which direction to go in...

Grains have inherent a broad number of risks... why maneuver through those risks if other options are easily within reach? In this regard dropping
grains isn't radical... it just makes good sense... :^)

And I happily wish you a Merry Christmas to you as well! I deeply respect the dedication and passion that you've brought to the table with each post! :^)
Old 23-12-2011, 11:43 PM
StephenK

Another incredibly detailed collection of raw whole-food recipes! :^)

The Sunny Raw Kitchen
http://thesunnyrawkitchen.blogspot.c...ipe-index.html
Old 23-12-2011, 11:53 PM
StephenK

Another free ebook on eating raw. This one you have to signup for the newsletter to download... I need to find time to read all these things! :^)

http://www.rawreform.com/content/view/435/158/

From the web site:

Introducing: the Profoundly Raw e-book :)

<snip>

Edited by SF Staff

Last edited by arive nan : 29-01-2013 at 08:30 AM.