Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Affirmations

Old 30-09-2015, 06:26 PM
Experiencer
The negative side of positive thinking

Hi
So for the last few months I have been using affirmations regularly. Via audio mostly and I have felt like my life is improving. However I wondered about the idea of the 'shadow' with respect to positive thinking. This is the idea that we repress certain things.

For example, if we are always thinking positively we will be repressing negative thoughts which go to on be stored within the unconscious. Since everything is relative and we can't have good without bad. Light without dark. Black without white. Ying and Yang. You get the idea.

The only thing that makes our affirmations/thoughts positive is how it is compared to its polar opposite (negative).

Is this an issue? Or not?

Im finding it quite difficult to explain. But hopefully someone understands.

Thanks.
Old 30-09-2015, 07:14 PM
Experiencer
It is like gardening. We make the gardens beautiful sometimes because we have difficulties accepting the full nature. Gardens are also walled off or otherwise separated from the rest of the nature.
Old 30-09-2015, 09:47 PM
Deactivated Account

Forcing the positivity is such a headache.And when people keep saying "be positive" force you to pretend to have a positive outlook on things when your just hiding your true feelings.

There's a line between actually being positive and trying to be. If you're trying, it might just mean you have some kind of personal issue preventing you from being positive. And won't be easy until this issue passes.

2015 feels awful. Just unstable to me.<----that's how i honestly feel....no "Oh, it'll get better eventually" that's forcing it to me.

Now, here's me being positive without being delusional or sounding deranged..."I learned a lot and changed a lot during 2015". That's positivity without being delusional or forcing anything.
Old 30-09-2015, 10:00 PM
Master

I believe that there exist people who only act in love and positivity; mentally, verbally and physically.
Their inner is free from darkness and negativity.

In Hinduism they call such an inner 'sattvic'.
Old 30-09-2015, 10:03 PM
Deactivated Account

"trying"....is trying to be something your not or not ready to be.

don't be pessimestic, don't try to be positive.
Old 30-09-2015, 11:16 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionOfHybrid
"trying"....is trying to be something your not or not ready to be.

don't be pessimestic, don't try to be positive.

What about people who have been brought up to think negatively? Should'nt they atleast attempt to be more 'balanced'? I was one of these people. But, I believe I tend to see the positive in most things now. While affirmations work for me i'll continue to use them. But, I am also weary, so to speak.
Old 30-09-2015, 11:20 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySG
What about people who have been brought up to think negatively? Should'nt they atleast attempt to be more 'balanced'? I was one of these people. But, I believe I tend to see the positive in most things now. While affirmations work for me i'll continue to use them. But, I am also weary, so to speak.

seek balance, then. I guess it works in different ways for everybody.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:05 PM
Nettles

What you find is contingent upon what you think you'll find...and that is contingent upon what you are looking for. For some thinking positively can be a hazard if they put too much intent and focus into it. Some become delusional always looking to this "good" vs "bad" black and white dichotomy. Something that is perceived as "bad" can be simply looked at in a different way for it to become "good."
Balance is always good, yin & yang, balanced heart and mind...balance is also a choice one makes.
For me what works is to keep it real, I don't look at the glass as half empty or half full, I just see it as too big.
It also helps a lot to live in the moment rather than worrying about the past or fretting about the future.
It's different for everyone, of course.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:49 PM
Suspended

to negate is to den-(y).

positive illustrates in more than one sort, more than one feel off, more than one possibles. 'positive delivers the true projection projection.'

to negate is to upknow something a somehow as no good. today we really understand some things as good enough for, and what doesn't teach or show that credibility we consider poor in, and thats what it is, a poor illustration of showen tell no matter how successful. and it is in poorer getting to a triumphan as lesser known value that gets that piggy dummy thinking already inside the head that 'ow its all abunch of sack of potatos off awful load.' should a we wory and pay to nagating and its acomplisher's branch by drawing heaps of coals of importance to it's roots. is it all that for your trouble modle convenience of inside fights. a something's off then thurow yourself and get yourself as enough.

Last edited by yeshee camar : 05-11-2015 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:31 PM
Seeker

I don't think affirmations are about denying the fact that negative things exist, so much that it's about celebrating and giving honor to the positive things in life. I don't think theres any repression involved with it.