Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 17-02-2015, 10:21 PM
Tazza

Meditation lying down or lotus position?

I've just had half n hour meditating but this time lay flat on my back, (got trouble with knee). It seemed to be completely different.

I was listening with my headphones to some real nice piece of music and got the sensation I was completely floating..

The lotus position gives me a more intense experience and i've heard things like messages which I have no clue what they mean.

Has anyone experienced this?
Old 17-02-2015, 10:46 PM
alhambra

Tazza if you listen to music then you are not meditating, also it is better to keep your feet on the floor while sitting on a chair with your spine straight if you cannot sit on the floor. What you are doing is ' chilling out ' which is good but it is not meditating. This is what I was taught by Buddhists.
Old 18-02-2015, 06:18 AM
Master
Any position is valid. The important thing is that you are comfortable and your body does not become a distraction during your meditations. Music is good, but alhambra is correct, if you are 'listening' to the music it is a distraction. Merely having it on in the background is either distracting or not depending on you.

I cannot sit lotus, my hips don't allow it so I can't speak to that. I have meditated in pretty much every position conceivable at this point and find that once you have it down position is irrelevant. I meditate while driving, in the shower, holding my baby.....almost never just sitting any more.

Also there are tons of different types of meditations, each with a different goal, so it can be hard to compare techniques and results sometimes.
Old 18-02-2015, 06:26 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazza
I've just had half n hour meditating but this time lay flat on my back, (got trouble with knee). It seemed to be completely different.

I was listening with my headphones to some real nice piece of music and got the sensation I was completely floating..

The lotus position gives me a more intense experience and i've heard things like messages which I have no clue what they mean.

Has anyone experienced this?

Sure. I'm going through a whole posture thingy myself.
Old 18-02-2015, 08:27 PM
Master
I think what it all comes down to is that meditation is about going within and all the various postures, methods of breathing, methods of viewing thinking and anything else that could be added is all about exercising the focus and attention to that which is within us.

Enjoy the journey in whatever way suits you.
Old 18-02-2015, 08:33 PM
Ascender
lotus position for me anyway
Old 23-02-2015, 08:57 PM
Tazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhambra
Tazza if you listen to music then you are not meditating, also it is better to keep your feet on the floor while sitting on a chair with your spine straight if you cannot sit on the floor. What you are doing is ' chilling out ' which is good but it is not meditating. This is what I was taught by Buddhists.

Thanks for this advise what's your take on Binaural beats, I quite enjoy listening to these specific tones as they seem to work for me.
Old 27-02-2015, 06:55 AM
Seeker

I think that listening to music is fine. I have personally used guided meditations, calming music to help get me in the zone when I'm a bit hyper or depressed and I have used binaural beats and have ended with great results. I feel meditation is a very personal thing. I suggest meditating without sound as well so that you don't create a dependency on it but you enjoy your ride. I'm sure you are correct that meditating in different positions gives different effects. You may want to experiment with this. I know that when i meditate laying down, I tend to feel more floaty but I am usually attempting astral projection. :)
Old 05-03-2015, 04:41 PM
starlight_stephanie

laying on my back generally makes me fall of to sleep with the relaxation. I normally sit in lotus or on a chair and keep my feet grounded. u should just try keeping ur earphones on, if it's the distractions and noise you are tryin to keep out, works for me. atleast then u will be able to listen to ur higher self, when thoughts are cleared.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:03 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhambra

Then why are there meditation music cds ?

One of the main reasons not to meditate laying down is so that you don't fall asleep

Expect Miracles !

Sometimes in the winds of change ~ we find our true direction