Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 08-04-2012, 03:06 AM
Guide
Mind Quietness – An Experiment!

I have an experiment that I’d like everyone to try. If anyone would like to volunteer, you only have to do the following and report here via comment or on Facebook your results.

I was meditating on the train the other morning, during it I was attempting to observe my Mind Chatter as it was happening. I made a kind of discovery in regards to myself and how my mind chatter works in conjunction with my breathing.

I found that if I hold my breath, the “mind chatter” is expressed much slower in my mind. What I mean by this is that the chatter happens much slower (sometimes at a complete standstill) than if I was breathing normally. When I hold my breath, each word that occurs seems to have a long break in between and feels like each word is struggling to be said. Whereby if I’m just breathing normally the chatter happens at normal speaking speed with no struggling occurring.
I found this rather intriguing and wondered if everyone/anyone else is like this as well? Obviously, it’s ineffective and useless to attempt to hold your breath for extended periods of time in an effort to meditate “mind-chatter-free”, BUT, as a result of this, I was now attempting to keep the mind chatter at bay by focusing on the quietness that occurs between my breaths.

So give this experiment a quick try. Try to “observe” your mind chatter while you’re breathing normally and when you’re holding your breath and see if you notice a distinct difference between the speed of the two. As I said, for me the mind chatter was expressed significantly slower (sometimes completely stopped) while I was holding my breath.

Feel free to post your findings here or on facebook.

http://unlimitedboundaries.ca/2012/04/07/mind-quietness-an-experiment/
Old 11-04-2012, 09:06 PM
MichelleF

Thank you! I will definitely try this out. Sometimes I just can't seem to slow the chatter down so this will be an interesting technique to try.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Aquatic_Dragon

Ive experimented with this a few times, i feel that holding my breath for periods of time actually makes me more calm and my mind free from chatter altogether, i also find that breathing deeply and slowly also frees my mind from chatter, i do this to the point where i can't hear or feel my own breath.

I shall try more different breathing techniques tonight and see what effect it has.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Henri77

Just tried this ...& I agree, between breaths there is less perceptable activity.

I believe this is what yogi's teach as well. Suspension of breath.
Old 13-04-2012, 04:27 AM
Rin

Isn't this just because you focus on holding the breath? You now have a focal point whereas with normal breathing the mind is triggered by other things?
Old 13-04-2012, 04:33 AM
Master
Good challenge, Xanth.

I discovered years ago that slowing my breathing, especially while breathing in my lower belly, automatically slows my thoughts.

Anyone I've shown this to has found the same. How simple!

Then, once thinking has slowed one can notice and give their attention to the quiet open space between the thoughts, and underneath them.

Then true meditation begins.

Xan

Old 13-04-2012, 05:30 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin
Isn't this just because you focus on holding the breath? You now have a focal point whereas with normal breathing the mind is triggered by other things?

I think you are right.
Old 15-04-2012, 04:34 PM
CatChild

For me, my mind is usually so actively processing everything both consciously and unconsciously that I feel I NEED it to be active. I Want the activity.

I guess my mind rarely holds 'chatter'. I can calm my thoughts easily enough because I am always present in my head. Perhaps the issue for many is 'what' they are thinking about that gives them cause to have them wish to quiet the mind.

I guess I DO have spells when my mind is wonderfully blank. Usually after a long day and I am incredibly tired. Or perhaps when I am just staring at something blank and uninteresting.

I tried the exercise because I know that breathing from the belly calms the brain waves and increases oxygen saturation. It likely has something to do with blood pressure/physiological moreso that spiritual.
Old 15-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Master
This is how I see it:

Breathing is central to life and consciousness is central to existence.

Combining them in conscious breathing has power to take us beyond the mind, which is central only to itself.

Xan

Old 15-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Chraeloos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanth
I have an experiment that I’d like everyone to try. If anyone would like to volunteer, you only have to do the following and report here via comment or on Facebook your results.

I was meditating on the train the other morning, during it I was attempting to observe my Mind Chatter as it was happening. I made a kind of discovery in regards to myself and how my mind chatter works in conjunction with my breathing.

I found that if I hold my breath, the “mind chatter” is expressed much slower in my mind. What I mean by this is that the chatter happens much slower (sometimes at a complete standstill) than if I was breathing normally. When I hold my breath, each word that occurs seems to have a long break in between and feels like each word is struggling to be said. Whereby if I’m just breathing normally the chatter happens at normal speaking speed with no struggling occurring.
I found this rather intriguing and wondered if everyone/anyone else is like this as well? Obviously, it’s ineffective and useless to attempt to hold your breath for extended periods of time in an effort to meditate “mind-chatter-free”, BUT, as a result of this, I was now attempting to keep the mind chatter at bay by focusing on the quietness that occurs between my breaths.

So give this experiment a quick try. Try to “observe” your mind chatter while you’re breathing normally and when you’re holding your breath and see if you notice a distinct difference between the speed of the two. As I said, for me the mind chatter was expressed significantly slower (sometimes completely stopped) while I was holding my breath.

Feel free to post your findings here or on facebook.

My mind-chatter doesn't slow down if I hold my breath, or even if I breathe slower. Although focusing on the spaces in between the words does help it kind of fade away. Great experiment! Interesting finds, as well.