Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 17-04-2019, 11:59 AM
Master
Religion has multiple purposes...

(1) to “commune with the divine”, this is what it literally means..
(2) provide societies with a code and belief system to live by, to create a sense of order and purpose..
(3) provide individuals with answers to problematic questions that humans ask, who am I?, why do I exist?
(4) provide individuals with a set of spiritual practices..
(5) a sense of community..
Old 17-04-2019, 01:17 PM
Master
Quote:
Then tell me what I am supposed to believe? That the Earth is some happy rainbow and sunshine place where every life is equal and has a special purpose? That's nothing more than wishful thinking. I used to think differently, but I learned the hard way that there is no meaning in life. If there is a God or some kind of grand administrator up there, then he messed up pretty badly. But by now I pretty much doubt that there is a single deity that is real.

You don't have to believe in anything if you don't want to. Here's a four minute video if you're interested and haven't seen it before, with Alan Watts speaking. He's more articulate than I am. Purposeless:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21RwqnB8GrE
Old 17-04-2019, 01:50 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineBloggs
You don't have to believe in anything if you don't want to. Here's a four minute video if you're interested and haven't seen it before, with Alan Watts speaking. He's more articulate than I am. Purposeless:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21RwqnB8GrE

I watched the video till the end, but I lost track of how many times I rolled my eyes because it's not the first time I heard that kind of peptalk before. The reason I came to my own conclusion certainly isn't because I am confused or suffer from some identity crisis. No, I've done my homework.
Old 17-04-2019, 02:38 PM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerOfLight
There is no purpose in religion. It's just a fairytale for adults, nothing more. You don't need to look at religion for those questions. The only three reasons why we are here is to work, pay taxes, and die one day.

Birth, copulation, death. Got it.
Old 17-04-2019, 02:46 PM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native spirit
Religion causes wars and the need to control there is no purpose of it in my opinion
Namaste

The idea religion is the source of human suffering cannot be more wrong. If religion did not exist at all in the world there would be just as many wars, killings, and senseless acts of violence. Religion is not the source of all that is evil in the World. Poverty and imperfections in human character are the cause. If religion did not exist at all there would be just as many people killing each other over adultery. Just as many people living in poverty who snap because they become desperate. Just as many wars for profit. Just as many leaders jockeying to have power over other leaders at any expense.

If you think religion is the causes wars then in my opinion you are just not paying attention to human nature. Religion did not invent pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath and sloth. The idea religion is the cause of human nature is just wrong.

Last edited by Native spirit : 17-04-2019 at 08:09 PM.
Old 17-04-2019, 02:56 PM
Seeker

Quote:
I watched the video till the end, but I lost track of how many times I rolled my eyes because it's not the first time I heard that kind of peptalk before. The reason I came to my own conclusion certainly isn't because I am confused or suffer from some identity crisis. No, I've done my homework.

Obviously, the content of the video went right over your head. What the video was describing is the idea when you are complete in your being of who you are then you are without any delusional desires or needs. You express a kind of purposeless perfection in your actions.

Your sophomoric understanding of religion seems to indicate you need to do more homework. Just because you use a toilet everyday doesn't mean you are a master plumber.

The purpose of religion or mythology is to provide a context of meaning in our lives. Maybe this video will help you find meaning but this one will probably go over your head as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cczCwCsbz_U

Based on your comments you seem like a nihilist. The thing about nihilism is it is self-inconsistent in its own creation. The idea that everything is meaningless is not bounded to someone's bad attitude. It's also meaningless that is it meaningless. The ultimate nihilist chooses religion is meaningful in spite of our psychological negativity coming from all our disappointments with all our imperfections.
Old 17-04-2019, 03:26 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineBloggs
Ok.
So do you search this forum for answers?
To confirm what you already know?
or to pee on other peoples chips for the entertainment factor?

It's really that simple: my beliefs have changed a lot through the time I've spent here to the point I even question my own few supposed 'paranormal' experiences.
Old 17-04-2019, 04:38 PM
Master
Most wars were/are a consequence of resource depletion. This is what drove our ancestors to “the new world”. The Church gave its blessings and mission, but it’s secondary. The primary purpose was to find new land to conquer and use. That's what humans do.. intensify and overpopulate the land, and then look to repeat that system elsewhere.

There have also been many squabbles over family ties and who should own which land etc. I think the idea that religion causes most wars is more prominent today, with Islamist terrorism, but generally wars happen often because there's a need for resources. All the talk about religion, race, etc. is the front image, behind it is a need for resources..

As for meaning; I think it’s key to see meaning and purpose are man made, and we are fully entitled to look for it in our lives..
However, I see no reason to believe that the universe, God or your Soul cares about a grand plan, based on human history and life on earth..
Old 17-04-2019, 05:33 PM
Suspended
The purpose of religion IS love.
Old 17-04-2019, 06:05 PM
Master

Quote:
I agree with you about the video. Watts used there NLP principles: truism interleaved with suggestion implants. I believe he was wrong in what he suggested in this video. He misinterpreted some aspects of Chinese philosophy, he knew it, and he didn't care as long as he got an audience.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.