Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 13-10-2016, 11:46 PM
Master
Thumbs up Adyashanti- Basic Principles

This is a YouTube video of Adyashanti teaching the basic principles of awakening. It is very succinct, practical, and has been helpful for me. I hope you guys enjoy because this is truly a treasure piece. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgtOL9kl7fc

♬ ♫ ♪ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtnJUS30olE ♪ ♫ ♬
Old 14-10-2016, 01:14 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi
This is a YouTube video of Adyashanti teaching the basic principles of awakening. It is very succinct, practical, and has been helpful for me. I hope you guys enjoy because this is truly a treasure piece. :)

"To pause for just a moment and realize that maybe you aren’t who you imagine yourself to be”

"Ego is a circular pattern of thinking based on the belief in separation"

"the cause of suffering is not thinking, it is the identification of thinking"

Old 14-10-2016, 02:44 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi

Hi Imzadi.

I have listened to a lot his videos over the years, found lots of helpful wisdom through his offerings.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 14-10-2016, 03:49 AM
Anything you see with your eyes open is not real....I think he said that!
But, then again...I did, too!
I love him...saw him once in person...funny how the audience was mostly filled with women, lol!
Thank You for the link...I have so many DVDs and CDs of his.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 14-10-2016, 06:24 PM
Master
I'm glad you guys find Adyashanti's (his name meaning "primordial peace" if I am not mistaken) teachings to be beneficial!

What strikes me about these particular set of videos is that he really gets down to the nitty gritty fundamentals. A lot of times zen can be a bit confusing for the mind, and these sets of videos really help illustrate and explains it in a very pragmatic and easy to understand way. :)

♬ ♫ ♪ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtnJUS30olE ♪ ♫ ♬
Old 15-10-2016, 06:25 PM
Suspended
Master

Thanks for the Adyashanti link. I watched the videos and found a lot of truth in them. One teaching from those Adyashanti videos is when we identify with egoic consciousness and our thoughts, we go to sleep in a sense, unconscious and unaware of our true nature.

The concept of being asleep or unconscious when we walk around putting importance on our thoughts and beliefs and ideas is interesting because even Buddha referred to the term "being awake" when describing his enlightened consciousness.

It's interesting to conceptualize the normal state of human beings to be a sleep like state. Obviously, it is not sleeping in the sense of what we do at night where we have no consciousness whatsoever except during dream cycles. But to people who have achieved this self-realization of their true nature, the normal human consciousness is described by them as a sleep like or unconscious state.

I guess when you no longer identify with your thoughts or ideas as "you," there is this sense of not being there or "awake" during normal consciousness. When you are fully identified with thought as the self, you are on a type of auto-pilot where thoughts determine your experience largely by habitual reactionary and conceptual thinking. It is like a sleep state because one is not the director of their own experience or life. Thought is the driver, not the true self. The true self has let itself fade into the background and a sleep like and unconscious state. It reminds me of that pic from the gita that illustrates the nature of human kind as a man in a chariot being pulled by horses.

In the pic, Krishna is the true self, Arjuna is the ego and thought, the chariot the body and the horses represent the senses. In an enlightened being, the perspective is from Krishna. In a "normal" person, one has falsely identified with Arjuna's and thoughts perspective.

Old 15-10-2016, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanWind
... we identify with egoic consciousness and our thoughts,
we go to sleep in a sense, unconscious and unaware of our true nature.
Krishna is the true self...

Shortened for space....excellent post!
You got it!

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 15-10-2016, 08:16 PM
Ascender
RyanWind, i really liked the picture of Krishna you posted. Thanks.
Old 27-10-2016, 11:09 AM
Guide

Thank you for the video! It was very helpful!
Old 27-10-2016, 11:25 AM
I think the first time I heard the word 'egoic' was from Adya.
Now, everybody says it!