Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Films

Old 14-01-2016, 01:09 AM
Pathfinder

Best Christian Themed Movie Ever

My First Thread: As a retired pastor, for 8 years I conducted a monthly free dinner and movie night at our church. We advertised in the local paper and drew good crowds, and often had excellent brief discussions afterwards. I limited the movies shown to those with a Christian theme. The college across the street offered free secular movies (but no free dinner!) I will post my personal favorites as well as the favorites of the audiences we attracted. The purpose of this thread, though, is to learn your favorites and, hopefully, the reasons why.

My all-time favorite movie on a Christian theme is Robert De Niro in "The Mission," based on actual events during the Spanish and Portuguese enslavement of Amazon Indians. In my view, the movie displays the most powerful conversion scenes in movie history and raises questions about true discipleship that are hard to answer honestly. In other words, the movie makes you think. The British Film Academy voted this the best "spiritual movie" ever and the Hollywood Screen Actors Guild (surprisingly) voted its musical score the 17th best ever. But only a few in our audiences would rate it as highly as I do. It's too slow paced for many American tastes.
Old 14-01-2016, 01:35 AM
Deactivated Account

Hi Electric quest,

I can't say I have a "best ever", particularly Christian themed, however, I really enjoyed the movie, The Apostle (1997).

The movie is about a preacher who makes a bad decision. It's a movie that shows us about redemption, forgiveness, being flawed and most importantly, being victorious and lifting yourself up when you loose it all; something we can all identify with.

The acting is fantastic (Farrah Fawcett is questionable *cough*) however,the overall authenticity and message is excellent. Strongly recommend. Ghrapic language.
Old 14-01-2016, 02:22 AM
Pathfinder

Robert Duval lived in a type of southern Christian community resembling the movie's setting and claims a spiritual renewal through his research. His research and preparation shows in his authentic characterization of the preacher Sonny and he received a Best Actor Academy nomination for his performance. This movie was more loved by our audience thab I expected it to be. One of their favorites!

Last edited by ElectricQuest : 14-01-2016 at 04:44 AM.
Old 14-01-2016, 02:44 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricQuest
Robert Duval lived in a type of southern Christian community resembling the mivie's setting and claims a spiritual renewal through his research. His research and preparation shows in his authentic characterization of the preacher Sonny and he received a Best Actor Academy nomination for his performance. This movie was more loved by our audience thab I expected it to be. One of their favorites!

Ah good, glad to hear your audience approved Ya, I was impressed with the casting too, or the "extras", they used real people,which made me like the film a lot more.

I don't have any more to recommend from Christian standpoint, probably more spiritual which you can find on this This thread.

I always liked watching The Ten Commandments on cable. It's still a power classic and brings back childhood memories.
Old 14-01-2016, 04:57 AM
Pathfinder

I had never heard of one of our most popular movies, "The Inn of the Sixth Happiness," starring Ingrid Bergman in what many movie critics claim is her best acting performance. They claim that the only reason she didn't win Best Actress for it is that she had just won the year before. The movie is based on a true story of arguably the most spiritually effective female Protestant missionary ever, Gladys Aylward. One of our guests recommended it to me. In fact, what made our movie program fun for many is that I eventually allowed our movie buffs to choose several of the movies we showed, and that gave the whole group a vested interest in what we showed.

What gives the story its power is that Gladys was always told she was too intellectually limited to qualify as a missionary to China. She had to save up all her pennies, working as cleaning lady to go without a church sponsor. She arrived shortly before the Japanese invasion of northern China. A WW2 vet, seeing the movie, told us he had to study her rescue of 100 Chinese orphan children in his training in mountain warfare. This is the movie that made the old song, "This Old Man" famous.
Old 14-01-2016, 05:13 AM
Master
A lot of Christmas movies have Christian themes.

A Christmas Carol, It's A Wonderful Life etc.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 14-01-2016, 07:16 PM
Pathfinder

Another Great Hollywood movie with a Christian is generally overlooked: Sally Field in "Places in the Heart." This movie tugs at the heart and is set during the Great Depression. I don't want to give spoilers. Suffice to say that the movie involves the Ku Klux Klan, a lynching, a Black hobo and his friendship with a white blind man, and a young widow's struggle to keep her farm after her husband (a sheriff) is shot by a young Black man. Our audience just loved it.
Old 21-01-2016, 12:41 AM
Pathfinder

I saw "Alone, Yet Not Alone" last night. Its theme song was nominated for best original song a couple of years ago, but the nomination was then revoked for lobbying, or rather, perhaps some anti-Christian prejudice. I loved it because it is based on its namesake book that tells the true story of a Delaware Indian massacre raid on western Pennsylvanian German settlers in 1755. The settlers' children were kidnapped and taken to live with this Indian tribes. The movie focuses in particular on 2 kidnapped sisters and their escape attempts as well as their struggle to keep their Christian faith in the face in Indian pressure to embrace Indian deities.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:13 AM
Pathfinder

Recently saw "War Room." The crowd was mostly young adults and youth. They cheered loudly at the conclusion. The movie is an excellent meditation on the power of petitionary prayer, and it is based on a true story. Some viewers deem it the best Christian movie ever.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:21 AM
Master

The Robe .....

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com