Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 30-06-2017, 09:51 AM
Knower

Can any one tell the stages of meditation

Can any body tell us stages of meditation and feelings thoughts symptoms and sign at various stages
Old 30-06-2017, 11:30 AM
Master
not to be flip, but what 'stages' do you want?
as i understand things, there is no structure to our reality beyond what we
provide it. there is no objective reality in which we need to find a way to fit in;
the universe accommodates our desires and creates the structures which we
inform it will please us. so: what stages would you enjoy experiencing?
Old 30-06-2017, 12:33 PM
Guide

I am not sure what you mean by "stages" and "thoughts symptoms and sign."

Meditation is highly personal, and methods vary from person to person.

For me the only stages are: the initial relaxation, and the meditation itself. Sometimes I begin meditation with a thought or topic that I am hoping for input/clarification on; most often I simply calm my mind.

If insight or communication or images come to me in meditation, I jot them down for later conscious consideration, and let them go.

Thoughts, symptoms, and signs? Since each meditation is different, so too are the images and words I get. During some meditations I find tears rolling down my face for no reason. Sometimes I will feel a chill, or my teeth will chatter. Most frequently its a pleasant peaceful feeling.

Also, do you mean "signs" as in "signs that I am meditating" or as in "signs from Higher Self or Guiides?" I never thought to look for signs that I am meditating because I am, well, meditating. Signs from Higher Self or Guides...not really. They simply talk to me so I'm not checking for subtle signs.

And none of this is likely to answer your question, because I can only tell you what is true for me, and I may well have misunderstood your question in the first place.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:41 AM
Master
i'm thinking that the "symptoms and sign(s)" was referencing how a person
could ascertain what 'stage' they were at.

i think: the entire exercise of meditation occurs within the imagination...
there is no 'travel' experienced in 'real world' terms.
much of what might be explored could be categorized as "fantasy",
but i believe that a sense of 'knowing' might enter into the journey
at some point. there would be an internal recognition of truth i surmise.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:26 PM
Knower
In buddhist meditation there is the distinction between levels of absorption, where each level has certain characteristics: http://www.katinkahesselink.net/tibet/jhana.html.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:17 PM
Master

This is a very broad question and there is no simple straightforward answer.

Meditation varies from day to day depending on so many factors - how focused we are, how tired we are, how motivated we are, how we feel physically, what kind of day we've had, if we have any particular worries, etc etc. Trying to switch everything off and just sit and be present in meditation is not easy.

And even when we can switch off all external distractions, there are plenty of internal distractions. If we persist in meditation we get to know our personality patterns and thought processes very well. At first we identify with them all, but over time we get a degree of separation and detachment, and we take it all far less seriously.

What we might experience also varies according to the type of meditation we practice and how long we sit there for.

For most of us the mind is very active. But if we sit for an hour and keep on returning our awareness to meditation whenever we get distracted, then we might achieve brief periods of inner quietude and focus. If we sit for longer periods then the mind naturally quietens down due to the lack of external stimulation. So if you sit for eg four days, after the first day meditation gets much easier.

As for the various stages, the final three stages of the eight steps of Raja Yoga sum it up for me. The sixth stage is concentration, the seventh step is meditation proper and the eighth step is samadhi or union. But most of us in meditation struggle to master the stage of concentration.

And regarding the stages of the spiritual journey, we start from a position of identification with personality and thoughts, we move on to detachment from personality and thoughts, we then realise that what we are is far greater than personality and thoughts, and then we realise that we are everything and everywhere. But this is not the end; rather it is the start of a new stage of the journey.

Peace.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:27 PM
Pathfinder

Yes, i had the same question in my mind.
and according to me, purely my thought on stages of meditation
1. releaxed feeling
2. spiritual development
3. Near to god
4. god like (buddha)
Old 03-08-2017, 05:44 AM
Newbie ;)

Meditation for beginners, is easier than you think. Try out these 10 powerful meditation tips to start your mediation habit and see the immediate benefits today.
  1. Start Small
  2. Remember, It’s Easy
  3. Stick With A Method
  4. Be Kind To Yourself
  5. Be Patient With Yourself
  6. Practice Non-Judgement
  7. Make It A Morning Routine
  8. Use Guided Meditations
  9. Find A Meditation Buddy
  10. Join A Community
See Stages of meditation there, mindvalleyacademy.com
Old 04-08-2017, 04:35 AM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijhumal
Can any body tell us stages of meditation and feelings thoughts symptoms and sign at various stages

The first stage is curiosity

The second stage is reading books and blogs (none of which agree)

After the third stage (getting frustrated: both with diverse opinions and lack of progress), most people pick one they like, some people quit, and rare people keep going by trying to figure it all out for themselves.

After that comes:
Patience (processing or past and whatnot)
Concentration (energy work by force)
And if they're lucky and smart: pre-Kundalini, Kundalini, post Kundalini, samadhi and the miracle from God which is meditation.

Best of luck on your journey!! Cheers!

-dale
Old 04-08-2017, 07:05 AM
Master
Yama - the intention, aim and purpose.
Niyama - creating a time, space and regularity of practice.
Asana - positioning yourself comfortably.
Pranayama - bringing your focus to the breath and the energy within and without the body.
Pratyahara - turning all the senses inward and not being distracted by external input.
Dharana - focused concentration on the breath, on a mental image, on a mantram, on the third-eye.
Dhyana - losing the association between the focus and the object focused on. Dropping identification with the mind and thought process.
Samadhi - the resulting enlightenment/bliss that occurs from raising kundalini and entering the state of Moksha.