Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 31-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Greg

Spiritual surfing

I remember when I used to practice zen, the Nun who ran it was aware that I'd not only read and practice zen, but that I'd often use other meditation techniques and read up on other spiritual authors. She used to tell me that this was what was called spiritual surfing and that I probably wouldn't get very far unless I commited myself to one strict tradition. However I seemed to have given up on zen and now concentrate on many different spiritual authors, i.e Deepak Chopra, Neale Donald Walsch, Shakti Gawian, Ram Dass as well as several Buddhist teachers.
Do you think I'm merely spiritual surfing here? I've felt that every spritual practice I've ever tried, i.e Buddhism, taosim and Christianity just have too many flaws for me to follow them in great depth. I do two types of meditation daily, insight and concentration, or as the Theravada Buddhists would say, Samada and Vippassana, and I feel this works well and I enjoy reading many different authors. I see nothing wrong with this but am also afraid that I may not achieve what others have achieved through practicing one strict tradition or religion.
Any thoughts would be great
Old 31-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Deactivated Account

hi Greg,

I like that terminology, spiritual surfing. I believe each person should follow what feels right for them. For some it is following one particular teaching, teacher, Guru or belief. For others it is a combination of a variety of teachings, teachers, Guru or no Guru, and combination of beliefs ~ think of it as spiritual menu choices, variety is the spice of life. That is what makes each person's journey unique.

There really is no right or wrong way, it is all up to you. Or so I believe. I like the second option, a little bit of this, a little bit of that.

blessings,
Dream Angel xx

Expect Miracles !

Sometimes in the winds of change ~ we find our true direction
Old 31-05-2011, 08:07 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
I remember when I used to practice zen, the Nun who ran it was aware that I'd not only read and practice zen, but that I'd often use other meditation techniques and read up on other spiritual authors. She used to tell me that this was what was called spiritual surfing and that I probably wouldn't get very far unless I commited myself to one strict tradition. However I seemed to have given up on zen and now concentrate on many different spiritual authors, i.e Deepak Chopra, Neale Donald Walsch, Shakti Gawian, Ram Dass as well as several Buddhist teachers.
Do you think I'm merely spiritual surfing here? I've felt that every spritual practice I've ever tried, i.e Buddhism, taosim and Christianity just have too many flaws for me to follow them in great depth. I do two types of meditation daily, insight and concentration, or as the Theravada Buddhists would say, Samada and Vippassana, and I feel this works well and I enjoy reading many different authors. I see nothing wrong with this but am also afraid that I may not achieve what others have achieved through practicing one strict tradition or religion.

Greg - So you have eclectic taste in spiritual authors and don't limit your mind to a narrow focus in your spiritual studies. I'd much rather be you than the type of person the nun was trying to make you be. BTW, I've read literature by all those authors and have studied, Zen, Taoism, Christianity and Buddhism as well. I'm still dabbling in other areas of interest for educational purposes too. I wouldn't think of limiting myself to any one area of study. I'm with you all the way on this one.

Blackraven
Old 01-06-2011, 02:25 AM
HBuck72

I have never heard that term before, but I guess you could say I am a surfer as well. It has been my experience that most masters of a certain path will dissuade you from "surfing". Most spiritual masters have devoted years of their life to one specific path; therefore, they have a lot invested in that particular path.

I would recommend doing what feels right for you. The reason that I jump around a lot is for the same reason that you listed, and that is that I find too many faults to devote myself to a single path. If you think about it each path was created by man, so I don't see why I can't forge my own path, just as the ancient masters did (not that I consider myself a master, I just do what feels right and works for me).
Old 01-06-2011, 02:34 AM
nightowl

I think it is wonderful that you are open to looking for God/Spirit in more than one religious thought. I personally believe we limit our spiritual selves when we limit God/Spirit. It would be like putting God in a closet and believing God only exist within the confines of that closet. Keep surfing and catching those spiritual waves and enjoy the ride of insight!

nightowl
Old 01-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Rivendoah

I love the term spiritual surfing... ride the wave baby! I don't see it as a negative at all... but a path that works for me... some need a different path that involves a dedication to one form of spiritual teaching that they can dedicate themselves to... both ways work if you work it... the trick is for each of us to figure out what is best for us...
Old 03-06-2011, 02:44 AM
Knower
I think it is inevitable and only reasonable that so spiritualist may find certain aspects of a dogma of use, but by definition I feel that a spiritualistic person can't be tied into a flawed earth bound set of standard beliefs, we are supposed to evolve and change, accept new things when we are ready to.

I've done the very same, probably in less focused depth as you, for the same reason that has been stated, I couldn't throw myself into one in particular because they lacked the depth I need to prosper.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:21 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
Allow me to share some of my poorly strung together thoughts on the matter!

I see the nun's point. One thing about spiritual eclecticism is that it can easy to use the myriad of different perspectives and ideas one may have as an excuse to avoid deeper discipline; i.e, "I don't have to work on achieving Nirvana because I believe in Jesus", which is not something I am suggesting you're doing lol. But it happens.

When a person is a fervent eater at the metaphorical religious buffet it's all too easy to eat so many things that you end up with a stomachache. It takes foresight and lots of introspection to tie all of those elements and teachings together into a cohesive belief system - one that is practically useful, and hopefully makes a lick of sense. Otherwise you end up with a magpie nest of "spiritual" ideas and beliefs that make little sense together without a good stitching together. Somewhat like chocolate and pickles; they are both wonderful things - but aren't the best together.

So, what I am trying to articulate, methinks, is that so called spiritual-surfing is not necessarily bad or wrong. But it can be done badly oh-so-easily-that-it's-surprising.

The easiest way to avoid the pitfalls of poorly done eclectic DIY religion: know what you really think, and why you think that way. Knowing your motives and desires and such will help greatly in getting the most out of your spirituality.

/ramble grumble ramble.