Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Affirmations

Old 21-02-2018, 01:22 PM
Master
Please Explain This To Me

I honestly don't know what to think about this whole 'affirmation' business.

If people could get rich just by affirming it, why isn't everybody rich already?

If an employee - we shall call him Tony, affirms for months; "my boss is going to give me a raise soon" and sees himself receiving more money...buying a new car...whatever and Tony's boss affirms "Tony is a lazy employee, he should be fired - I'll never give him more money" then whose affirmation will work here?

What if there's one position of employment and a hundred applicants all affirming and saying positive mantras that they will 'get the job'...whose affirmation will trump all others affirming the same thing?

My mother wanted to take me out to the club for dinner on her birthday...for months she has been planning it, saying every day to everybody "my daughter is going to take me out for dinner on my birthday" and when the day comes, I'm struck down with the flu and cannot oblige...and she goes; "how can this possibly BE? I thought I created my own reality here".

I'm sure a starving Ethiopian affirms they will get food soon...can think of nothing else because they are starving and yet, they die hungry.

I just don't get it.
Old 21-02-2018, 09:39 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
I honestly don't know what to think about this whole 'affirmation' business.

If people could get rich just by affirming it, why isn't everybody rich already?
Probably either not persistent, frequent or practical enough. Or, in spite of the right frequency (number of utterances) per day, the affirmer refuses to believe it's possible because results aren't imminent.
I mean, for instance, if you're a homeless person on the street there's little point in affirming that you'll be a millionaire soon. It would be better to do it in stages. Affirm that you'll be a little better off day by day.

So far as wealth goes there are many instances of people who affirm "naturally" - they know they're going to achieve - then discipline and concentration gives them the single-mindedness to pursue their goals. Take the boss of Virgin. His academic qualifications amount to 1 GCE pass. That's it.

Quote:
If an employee - we shall call him Tony, affirms for months; "my boss is going to give me a raise soon" and sees himself receiving more money...buying a new car...whatever and Tony's boss affirms "Tony is a lazy employee, he should be fired - I'll never give him more money" then whose affirmation will work here?
Like I say it needs practicality. In this case the employee needs to assess his boss honestly and decide whether to affirm as you suggest or instead, affirm getting a new boss who'd be more amenable.

Quote:
What if there's one position of employment and a hundred applicants all affirming and saying positive mantras that they will 'get the job'...whose affirmation will trump all others affirming the same thing?
Once more, practicality. A particular job is very specific and the application is probably subject to a closing date which isn't useful for affirmation. In that situation I'd affirm getting a job exactly like the advertised one. I'd also affirm writing an engaging CV and good interviewing manner (which could steer my behaviour to researching how to read between the lines of a job advert and how to put the CV together.

Quote:
My mother wanted to take me out to the club for dinner on her birthday...for months she has been planning it, saying every day to everybody "my daughter is going to take me out for dinner on my birthday" and when the day comes, I'm struck down with the flu and cannot oblige...and she goes; "how can this possibly BE? I thought I created my own reality here".

I'm sure a starving Ethiopian affirms they will get food soon...can think of nothing else because they are starving and yet, they die hungry.

I just don't get it.
I read a lot of nonsense about affirming - some by people who should know better. Good intentions and hopes aren't enough. Sometimes doubts creep in which is why the affirmation must be repeated very frequently so doubts are gradually overridden.
But it's a fact that, like LoA, affirmations don't work for everything. They must be practical; supported by a willingness to make an effort if/when work is needed; repeated frequently; believed possible. Setting a time limit is dodgy and needs care. And the affirmer shouldn't go around looking for results. Wait for them to happen. If signs of success are seen, note them, fine. It's a bit like casting a spell - ideally you forget you cast it! which is impossible but you try to look on it with disinterested interest, if that makes sense!

I'm a multimedia worker/composer in my thirties. I wouldn't even bother to affirm becoming a rocket scientist or a billionaire.
Old 22-02-2018, 01:17 AM
Seeker

I kind of think like the OP here. I am into many so-called New Age things but the Law of Attraction just doesn't make sense or sit right with me.

As in the post above, so many caveats and further explanations are put on it that no matter what happens the Law of Attraction with all its caveats can explain it.

For me the path is whatever happens, happens and be happy. Why have a need for some particular result?

On the other side of the coin, some people I highly respect talk of this Law too.
Old 22-02-2018, 01:53 AM
Master

Look up Abraham Hicks! Particularly, their first 2 books: "A New Beginning 1" and "A New Beginning 2". In both, check especially the Q&A.

In a nutshell: you create your own reality from ALL your thoughts. You attract what you think of. The wording doesn't matter; it matters what's behind those words, including fears, frustrations, pain.

Thoughts of "blue sky", "no rain", "sky without rain" are all different, and will materialize different realities.

You create only your own reality, and nobody else's. Nobody else creates your reality.
Old 22-02-2018, 01:59 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by George-Ananda
... For me the path is whatever happens, happens and be happy. Why have a need for some particular result? ...

Do you know what's the purpose of your life? Do you know why we're incarnating? If you don't, from the infinite number of possibilities, the probability to not waste your incarnation is zero.
Old 22-02-2018, 02:28 AM
Master
Thank you all for your replies. They are kindly appreciated. Lorelyn's post will take a while for me to digest, but I do see the point.

My H.S. is chiming in right now and saying something about the Law of Karma.

If, due to a person's Karma, something is either 'meant to be' or not, does it really make any difference regarding whether a person 'affirms' it? and as such, does it not thus become a case of mere 'wishful thinking'?

Of course, I can also see where negative thought patterns can keep people stuck in the rut of their own creation, but as George said, wouldn't it be better to just trust the Universe that things will turn out for the best, rather than trying to implement 'change' when they are not in the position to do so (but don't necessarily know this).

"God, grant me the serenity to accept those things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference"...yet, how is such 'wisdom' gleaned in the first place? and does it not then become a case of "MY will be done" as opposed to "THY will be done" and as such, wherefore is this 'free will' people speak of?

Inavalan - I haven't read Abraham Hicks before, but I'll give that a look into and thank you.
Old 22-02-2018, 07:42 AM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by George-Ananda
I kind of think like the OP here. I am into many so-called New Age things but the Law of Attraction just doesn't make sense or sit right with me.
As in the post above, so many caveats and further explanations are put on it that no matter what happens the Law of Attraction with all its caveats can explain it.
For me the path is whatever happens, happens and be happy. Why have a need for some particular result?
On the other side of the coin, some people I highly respect talk of this Law too.
It has to be said that Affirmation predates the New Age by a very long time. Trouble is, a few latter-day gurus, many just dilettante, borrow (some steal) and write and newcomers really think that something like Affirmation is New Age.

With a subject like this, something that once was a pamphlet at most, has now become an industry spewing out voluminous books, mostly containing tripe as well as something vaguely "affirmation!" though some looks like it'll block success more than promote it, looking through a few texts in my local shop as I'm sometimes wont to do! I can't mention names here in a critique but when I glanced through a book on affirmation I thought "Blimey, no wonder it doesn't work!"

So people here can read these things, do what they like, fail or succeed, but a few coming from an earlier slant on the subject have enjoyed success and worry about what's dished up from the New Age factories.

As for LoA, I've said my piece too many times.! !

Old 23-02-2018, 06:48 AM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
Do you know what's the purpose of your life? Do you know why we're incarnating? If you don't, from the infinite number of possibilities, the probability to not waste your incarnation is zero.
Do you know the purpose of your life?

As far as I know my purpose is just to be loving and content with whatever. Why should have a need for any particular things to occur? I can easily see the value of putting out good feelings though.
Old 24-02-2018, 11:08 AM
Deactivated Account
Hi, ill try to explain it, so that i can understand my answers.

Quote:

Quote:
I just don't get it.

Imagine holding a stick. On one end of the stick is Written "I don't get it", on the other end is the "Feeling of the Abundance".

You can't get it by thinking. And No one can get it for you or for someone else, unless his name is Jesus Christ (or someone who is thinking exactly as him).

The more you direct your mind into thinking, (which is moving towards the "I don'T get it" side of the stick, the less you will get it and the more you will not get it.

The key is to stop thinking, and to start feeling the abundance. Only you can do this, and only for yourself. Do not look what others do, nor let them (with them i mean: them - which is actually your thinking mind doing this!) bring you down, because you can not judge others without involving yourself into it, and thus moving towards the "I don't get it" side.

Why nobody is getting it ? Well, look at this: whenever you start in the journey of feeling the abundance, the thinking process is playing with your feelings and trying to take over, by showing you what is, and so, the most people believe more in thinking than in feeling.

But with your feelings, and persistence, you can achieve it.

The feelings which you should maintain is Joy. Day after day after day. Not through the whole day, but you should watch the day for signs which brings you into "negative" feelings, and by actively changing the negative thoughts into positive thoughts, it will come.
Sometime you can't just jump from negative into positive, so you need to use intermediate steps. From negative to less negative thoughts, to neutral thoughts to better thoughts and better and better and better.

here is a youtube video which will help you more in understanding: Youtube: Abraham Hicks �� The MAGIC behind 68 seconds - WOW segment!

and more videos:

Good luck.
Old 24-02-2018, 01:32 PM
Newbie ;)

1) I'd not say that people will become rich by just affirming it. Affirmation and visualization are only the tools used to 'focus' on certain thing.

2) First I'd say that no good employer should ever focus on how bad employees are. If he does.. well in my opinion both of them will get what they want. Everyone can create it's own reality.

3) The future isn't known yet. It changes in every second with every thought. And that's the beauty of it - you will never know what will happen in the next year but you can start creating it today.

4) Ok they're hungry. They affirm they want food but they need to believe they already have it in order to get it physically. I mean they should mentally focus that they have it.

It's basically how I see it.