Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 05-03-2016, 01:15 AM
Super Moderator
Vegan recipes....post your own!

I thought it would be nice to have a thread where we can post our own vegan recipes. It doesn't have to be 'posh food' just anything tasty which we like.

Some people are interested in being vegan but aren't sure what to cook (or not cook -in the case of raw vegan recipes!) It would be nice to have a thread to refer to for inspiration!

So please post away!
Old 05-03-2016, 02:29 AM
Master

Where are your recipes Tobi LOL?

Here are a few recipes that I cook sometimes for my son. Simple, basic, easy peasy.

Vegetable Soup (can't go wrong there!) I may have stolen this from Rachel Ray - I can't remember we've been using it so long

Any vegees you like - this can be end of the week soup when the vegees are needing to be eaten soon or thrown away - you can call it the kitchen sink soup (an American Phrase for everything but the Kitchen sink LOL)

I start with cutting the vegges:

Carrots - for a small soup, you could use 2 large, for a larger soup use 4ish. Cut them however you like to eat them in soup - if you have small children, make sure they are fairly small.

I do the Rachel Ray 2 turns of the olive oil in a stock pot and heat the oil and dump in the carrots on medium high while I chop the other vegees.

I add the vegges in layers, so they are all done at the same time. If you are adding cauliflower or celery or onions, I would put that with the carrots. So the root vegetables go first. Stir them occassionally so they don't burn, turn them down if they start to burn.

About 5 minutes in I scrape the vegges to create a hole and dump in some minced garlic - as much as you like - I used the bottled version because it is so much easier! We like a lot of garlic.

I time the carrots et al, for 7 minutes, then start adding the other vegges I've chopped - I like to add brocolli and zucchini. I let that cook for a few minutes, then I add some Vegetable Broth. If you like a lot of broth and have a lot of people to feed or like leftovers (this soup does leftovers very well the next day) you might want to add more broth. I usually use 1 carton of broth, and sometimes another half if I used a lot of vegges.

Then I like to add a can or two of beans. Dealers choice. I like white beans, or garbanzo's. Drain and rinse them, then dump those in at the same time as you add the broth.

This will lower the temperature of what you are cooking, but keep it on medium high heat and once it starts to boil, all the vegees should be about done. If not, keep checking. You can cook them as soft or as al dente as you like. You can also add pasta, but i would caution that the pasta will soak up the broth. It tastes delish, but if you like brothy soup, you might not want to add it while the soup is cooking. You could cook it alone, and add it to the bowls as you serve, that way you get both.

Another dish I cook him is rice and vegees. I put on a pot of rice (using a rice cooker - love it) and then I get to chopping. The other night we had carrots, cauliflower, zucchini, and brussel sprouts. Using the 2 tablespoons of olive oil, I started cooking the carrots first (on medium high) and then added the cauliflower while I was preparing the brussel sprouts. By the time they were ready, the carrots and cauliflower were almost burnt (I did stir them occassionally!) and added the rest and added 1/4 cup of water 3 times as needed until they were all done. Then I poured out the leftover water.

I cooked some of a jarred sauce on the side in a small pan (Teriyaki with Garlic and Onion - yum) and served the vegees on the rice with a drizzle of the sauce. Oh yum. The vegees came out very tasty - like they had been roasted in the oven, and you don't have to put sauce on them - they were wonderful by themselves.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:48 AM
Experiencer
Hazelnut hummus

90 grams dry soybeans or 210 grams cooked soybeans
120 grams hazelnuts or almonds
2 tbs/20 grams olive oil / canola oil
240 grams sugar
75-100 grams water

Soak the dry beans overnight and cook them ready in 40 minutes. This will give 210 grams cooked beans.
Put all the ingredients in a foodprocessor and mix to a smooth spread.
Use it on bread or crackers.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator
I don't know what you would call this, but it's really nice:

Toast some Pumpkin and sunflower seeds until they are starting to pop, and turn slightly brown, then put them on the side. This will only take a few minutes. (Keep an eye on them as they burn easily!)

Cook some quinoa. I use 4 parts water to one part quinoa, and usually use veggie stock instead of water to add flavour. This will take about 20 minutes.

Stir-fry some veg. I like halved Brussels Sprouts, and cauliflower cut into tiny florets, with some slices of onion. Brown all these slightly, then add ground black pepper (or any spices you like) some mashed garlic, then a dash of water. Put soy sauce on this while it's steaming. It should only take about 5 minutes to steam with the pan lid on.
Add a few baby spinach leaves and stir for the last couple of minutes.
If you like the veg more dry, just steam, but if you want some gravy with it, add a little more water, which can be thickened with a small amount of instant gravy mix or cornflour just before serving.

Serve the stir fry on a bed of quinoa, and sprinkle the toasted seeds on top! Voila!
Old 05-03-2016, 11:53 AM
Experiencer
Seitan

Seitan is a real protein bomb and it has the bite of meat. It's a very nice alternative for those who miss the bite of meat. You can put it on bread, serve it at dinner, eat it as a snack.

You make it with vital wheat flour. This may not be available at your regular stores. I thought I found it in a toko where the package said high gluten flour, but that was for dumplings and certainly not suitable for seitan. I ended up buying it online at the other side of the country.
Vital wheat flour contains about 70% proteins. It's a very powerful binder. You can add a few percent to bread dough to make it more elastic. You can also add a bit to bean burgers to bind them stronger together.

This is a very basic recipe with a good result. I haven't specified the spices because you can adjust them to your own flavour. Personally I use Indian curry spices a lot or Indian curry paste and I make it a little hotter with cayenne pepper. But you can use any kind or mixed spices you like. I have four different mixes in my kitchen cabinet at present.

160 gram water
130 gram vital wheat flour
30 gram chick pea flour aka gram flour
1 tbs / 10 gram arachid oil
2 tbs / 20 gram soy sauce
3 tbs / 18 gram nutritional yeast
1-3 tbs / 10-30 gram spices

Mix dry ingredients, mix wet ingredients. Add wet mix to dry mix and knead for about 3 minutes.
Spread it out.
You may cover it and let it rest in the fridge a few hours to let the dough develop more flavour if you like, but it's not necessary.
Steam the dough in one piece or cut it into four cutlets.
Bring 250 ml water to the boil in a wide enough pan. Put a steam basket in the pan with baking paper to prevent the dough from sticking to the basket.
Put the dough in the basket and steam it for 30 minutes. Let it cool in the pan.

You can put the cutlets in the freezer for later use if you like.

If you search the web you will find great recipes for making seitan with various different ingredients. Here is a good tutorial from One Green Planet to start with.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:59 AM
Deactivated Account

Awesome thread, Tobi! Subscribing!
Old 05-03-2016, 02:50 PM
Master

I live in Southern California, and we like a lot of Southern California Mexican food. It is not authentic Mexican food, and it is not the same Mexican food they have in Texas - TexMex. This is authentic home grown California Mexican food - served in the Mexican Food chain restaurants - like Ricardo's (Don Jose's), etc.

It is easy to make these recipes vegan, so here are a few we eat. (When buying tortillas or spice packages, you have to read the ingredients. For tortillas, Some are vegan, some are made with lard - of course, some spice packets don't make the cut. if you are vegan you have already read so many labels you know what to look for, but just saying.)

Burritos - oh my - these are way better than Del Taco! (serves 4)
Basic Bean Burrito:
1 large can of Sun Vista Pinto Beans
1 package Flour Tortillas - 8 tortillas

The flavor trick here I learned from a lady I worked with who's grandmother was mexican - the canned refried beans are what I was used to, so this bumped up the flavor so now I never buy the canned anymore - I make my own refried beans! And if you like cooking beans, you can start from scratch and cook your own pinto beans, just remember to drain off the soaking liquid and when you are done cooking them, keep some of the cooking liquid to add back in for the mashing part.

Dump the Sun Vista Pinto beans in a large frying pan or a stock pot, liquid and all. The secret is keeping the liquid, not throwing it out. Turn on medium high heat. Using a potato masher, mash some of the beans, and bring them to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes, mashing more as you go You want to end up with about 1/4 of the beans not mashed, and keep cooking them until they are thickened up. 20 minutes is usually long enough. If you are doubling the bean part of this receipt, for the 2nd can, drain the 2nd can's liquid into another container - you shouldn't need to add it back in, there is enough liquid in the first can for this recipe to work, or you can add both cans liquid and cook them for an hour - not!

For the flour torillas, heat them however you like. Everyone in my family likes them heated a bit differently. You can wrap 1 -2 in a damp paper towel and micro them for 15 - 20 seconds; if you have a gas stove, you can put them on the burners and crisp them up, you can heat them in a pan, you can add some oil to a pan and heat them that way. If you are cooking them in a pan, turn them over when they expand into pillowy clouds, and cook both sides. This doesn't take long, so don't walk away.

So, to the basic Bean Burrito recipe, you can do a lot of different things.

Fajita them up:
2 green bell peppers
1- 2 large onions

Slice the bell peppers thin, and start cooking them on medium heat in a few tablespoons of olive oil first - they take longer than the onions (I like my bell peppers soft for this receipe). Cut the onions in half and slice them thin like the peppers and separate the layers out (like in fajitas) and add them when the bell peppers have cooked for a few minutes.

These are sweep and yummy, but recently we started spicing them up a bit, and the flavor combination works well.

Pico De Gallo
3 tomatoes (small to medium) - dice the outer tomato only and throw the "meat" away - the gushy insides
1 medium onion - small dice
1 bunch of fresh cilantro - this is time consuming, but very nice flavor - rinse them in water and using a knife, hold the bundle up and slice off the leaves - you will still need to pull some of the stems off, but this takes a lot of the work out of it, then I pull all the leaves off the stems.
1 - (or 2 for Hot Hot) small fresh jalepenos OR Serrano peppers - slice very thin and dice (I don't use the seeds, but if you like HOT, you can add some). You can also use canned jalepeno's, but just know, they are not very Hot, but they do add the flavor.
2 limes
Sea Salt - any salt with work though

Add the diced tomatoes, onion and peppers to a non-reactive bowl - add the juice of 1 lime (if the lime is very juicy) or 2 if the limes are not juicy - this is really to taste. Add about 1/4 teas of the salt - doesn't need a lot.
Cover and chill for at least 1 hour, so if you are using this for your burritos, make this up ahead of time. Will stay in the frig for about a day. This is not salsa, there is no sauce to it. Sprinkle a bit on your burritos to taste before you wrap them up.

Toppings for burritos: I love avocadoes, and sour cream. For sour cream alternative, my son uses a bit of Veganaise (he uses it in a lot of his receipes) - to me, it looks like he is adding mayonaise, but to each his own. You could add vegan grated cheese like Daiya.

Enchilada burritos - yum!

Lawry's Enchilada Spice Package
1 small can tomato paste
Heat oven to 350 degrees Fairenheight
Cook the enchilada sauce as described on the package
Cook your refried beans as described above
Use Burrito Sized tortillas - heat them gently - micro works best for this.
Add beans to tortillas and wrap them up. Add them to a baking dish - wrap up as many as you like - pour some of the sauce over them (to taste - some like a little sauce, I like to drown mine in sauce) add vegan cheese to taste - you could also put some cheese inside the burritos before cooking.
Heat them in the oven for about 10 - 15 minutes

Enchiladas - using corn tortillas instead of flour, make your Enchilada sauce as described above, when done, dip the tortillas one by one in the sauce and lay them on a baking dish (spray the baking dish with a Nonstick spray first if necessary) a few at a time, and put whatever you are using as your ingredients inside, wrap them up, cover in sauce that is left, sprinkle with whatever cheese you like to use, and heat them at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes. Yum.

If you like cheese enchiladas, just use the Daiya cheese. If you like vegee enchiladas, use precooked vegees. Precooked cauliflower mixed with brocolli works good.

You can cook the refried beans and put them on the side, or in the enchiladas as you want.

I'm getting hungry typing this. Enjoy!

Oh, don't forget the Mexican Rice. You could make some up and add them inside or on the side of the burritos or enchiladas.

A simple Mexican rice receipe is to add 1 can of mexican flavored diced tomatoes to the rice cooker with the rice and use less water to compensate for the liquid - you could measure this out and turn in on and cook as usual.

To cooked white rice, you can add some in a frying pan and add 1 small can of tomato sauce, or a can of diced tomatoes with the liquid, or use a packaged Spanish rice mix - they are tasty as well.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:31 PM
Master

When my son first became vegan, he didn't know what to cook for breakfast. His vegan friend told him this simple recipe as a replacement for eggs.

Slice up some medium tofu into not very thick slices, and short. Just say 10 - 12 pieces of this size. Add them to a small frying pan and add a bit of maple syrup and heat through.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:20 AM
Super Moderator
Oh boy Nameless! All that Tortilla-Enchilada-Burrito energy is making me so hungry! YUM! I will have to try some of that.

I also never thought of adding maple syrup to Tofu slices, but that is worth a shot too.

I like the firm smoked Tofu best, then cut in chunks (about 1" by 1/2) Also halve some small mushrooms. Sprinkle Tamari on it all and cook in a little oil. This is tasty with a little curry powder added too. It's ready when the moisture from the mushrooms reduces.
Nice with rice.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:31 PM
Master

Mogenblue - sounds yummy! My son does not use soy, so he makes his hummus with chickpeas (garbanzo beans). As a vegan, it does limit his choices a lot though.

Tobi - if he ate Tofu, I would try this too!