Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Faeries, Elementals, Nature Spirits, & Woodland Creatures

Old 30-04-2011, 01:02 AM
Perceiver

Question on elementals

There are earth (gnomes), fire (supernatural salamanders), air (sylphs), and water (undines) elementals. Are there any aether/void elementals? Also, are there elementals for wood and metal?
Old 30-04-2011, 01:11 AM
Animus27

The term "elemental" was coined by the physician/alchemist Paracelsus. He had a more classical education thus, he would've viewed the basis of matter being made up of various combinations of fire, water, air and earth. So, most likely he considered metal and wood to be a mixture of hiss four classical elements.

So, no. They're aren't any other elementals besides the four.

But I think elementals are simply a more... abstract way of seeing land-wights & spirits. Who are not made of an element, but can be closely tied with certain natural phenomenon, to put it extremely simply lol.
Old 30-04-2011, 01:20 AM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
The term "elemental" was coined by the physician/alchemist Paracelsus. He had a more classical education thus, he would've viewed the basis of matter being made up of various combinations of fire, water, air and earth. So, most likely he considered metal and wood to be a mixture of hiss four classical elements.

But I think elementals are simply a more... abstract way of seeing land-wights & spirits. Who are not made of an element, but can be closely tied with certain natural phenomenon, to put it extremely simply lol.

so here is a curious question...if there are spirits connected to certain natural phenom or nature, than is it that maybe their spiritual chemical make up is such that in order for them to manifest they need the chemical make up of say water or fire or what ever element they hang around? They need to combine their make up with the element they represent. Does that make any sense?

nightowl
Old 30-04-2011, 01:23 AM
Animus27

Quote:

I just wanted to add this, Peiceiver. This model is one most alchemists used:

Old 30-04-2011, 01:33 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl
so here is a curious question...if there are spirits connected to certain natural phenom or nature, than is it that maybe their spiritual chemical make up is such that in order for them to manifest they need the chemical make up of say water or fire or what ever element they hang around? They need to combine their make up with the element they represent. Does that make any sense?

nightowl
It makes some sense. But it's not really how I view it. I see land-spirits as, more or less, being the spiritual energy behind natural occurrences. For instance, a tree is a land-spirit itself, albeit a physical one. But it can have several less material ones attached to it. Kinda like those little Russian doll things that stack into each other, the tree being the outer, visible one. If that's clear lol. And the... I hesitate to say collective energy, but I am having a hard time coming up with a better metaphor - the collective energy of a place can become more congealed and a meta-spirit that represents the land itself can arise, so lots of little pieces of clay can come together to form a larger piece of clay.

Anyhow, I ramble.

To put it simply, I see natural objects, animals, plants, weather, stones, rivers, the whole she-bang as being the manifestation or vessel for a land-spirit (roughly my equivalent of an elemental). Or at least I like to roll with the idea. But recognize I could be totally wrong. Which is fine.

Wow! Tangent haha. I hope that answers your question. But reading over, I dunno if I did
Old 30-04-2011, 02:04 AM
Ascender

There are giants, fairies, and many other's which we don't have names for I'm sure.
Old 30-04-2011, 02:58 AM
nightowl

Quote:
It makes some sense. But it's not really how I view it. I see land-spirits as, more or less, being the spiritual energy behind natural occurrences. For instance, a tree is a land-spirit itself, albeit a physical one. But it can have several less material ones attached to it. Kinda like those little Russian doll things that stack into each other, the tree being the outer, visible one. If that's clear lol. And the... I hesitate to say collective energy, but I am having a hard time coming up with a better metaphor - the collective energy of a place can become more congealed and a meta-spirit that represents the land itself can arise, so lots of little pieces of clay can come together to form a larger piece of clay.

Anyhow, I ramble.

To put it simply, I see natural objects, animals, plants, weather, stones, rivers, the whole she-bang as being the manifestation or vessel for a land-spirit (roughly my equivalent of an elemental). Or at least I like to roll with the idea. But recognize I could be totally wrong. Which is fine.

Wow! Tangent haha. I hope that answers your question. But reading over, I dunno if I did

Animus27,

Interesting view...is this how alchemist see things as well?

I just keep getting this picture of 'a moth to a flame' thing...maybe way to simple but that is kind of how I picture elemental, they are attracted to what they feel a connection with or need...

Rom,

Yeah, I would fancy a guess you are probably right...
Old 30-04-2011, 06:32 AM
Perceiver

I guess wood elementals are just gnomes or dryads.
Old 30-04-2011, 06:40 AM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perceiver
I guess wood elementals are just gnomes or dryads.

Hmmm...I would think what ever spirit is attached to trees...as for metals don't they come from minerals in the ground? Though there is also the fire element used to make certain metals one would need to consider... just a thought
Old 30-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Bluegreen

I searched in The Secret Doctrine for an answer to your question. This is what it says:

Quote:
The Fire Elementals are the highest. Everything in this world has its Aura and its Spirit. [...] Fire Elementals have no consciousness on this plane, they are too high, reflecting the divinity of their own source. Other Elementals hav e consciousness on this plane as they reflectg man and his nature. [...]

Aether is Fire. The lowest part of Aether is the flame which you see.