Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 31-10-2014, 02:03 AM
yumi14

How do I break thru to an atheist who wants to find God/spirituality?

I have a friend who I met online. We've never met in person, but talk on the phone from time to time. We really connect and get each other on many levels and there is a comfort between us that makes talking about life rather easy.

The only thing that I can't seem to do is to break thru to him about God and spirituality.

The kicker is he has invested a good part of his life exploring various religions and whatnot, but he maintains that he is an atheist despite all of the research.

He is very intelligent and genuinely wants to find God, but he has these road blocks up.

He is so disillusioned with life and feels it is futile. This scares me.

How does one break thru to an atheist who believes we are just randomly born animals stuck on a prison planet and then we die and there is nothing beyond it?

I have suggested topics for him to explore, YouTube videos to watch, but he doesn't seem interested despite his deep yearning to find God.

Does anyone know how I can next approach him? Things to say?

I wouldn't ask this if I thought he was a lost cause, because he does put in the work to research. Although studying just religion itself won't get him too far in this case. I do think his knowledge of doctrines will be an asset down the line when he opens his mind to spirituality in general.

For me, it had to go beyond religious doctrine and exploring so many things outside of those texts that helped me get to the place that I am today with my own beliefs. But, what works for one person might not work for another.

He is fed up with life so badly that he contemplates suicide and I just don't want him to go down that road. He is too bright and really has so much potential in him. If he can find something he can hold onto, perhaps he can finally be free to live and enjoy his life.

Any insight is so appreciated. I want him to find hope, but I just don't know how to assist him in finding it. Perhaps ideas from everyone might help me to reach out to him on angles that I have not tried yet.

Thank you
Old 31-10-2014, 03:52 AM
Master
Perhaps it is you that needs to be broken through to. Your friend may be wondering why you can't see the 'truth' that "God/spirituality" is just a fantasy. This is an acceptance thing. Stop assuming you know better. Stop trying to change someone else.
Old 31-10-2014, 04:49 AM
yumi14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstein
Perhaps it is you that needs to be broken through to. Your friend may be wondering why you can't see the 'truth' that "God/spirituality" is just a fantasy. This is an acceptance thing. Stop assuming you know better. Stop trying to change someone else.

After having my own NDE, I believe we are more than just a physical body.

This man deeply wants to find more, otherwise I would leave it alone. I see him struggling and hope to help him find the light.

I think it was rude for you to reply like that. Telling me I need to be broken thru to. That it is fantasy. My experience confirms with me and I have formed my beliefs. Nobody can tell me otherwise.

I'm not trying to push something down this mans throat, but I do see his hunger. It runs deep. I'm here seeing that hunger and hope I can somehow open his eyes a little bit so he can finally be at peace.

You made it out like that is a bad thing to want to help him. I have nothing but love and compassion for this pained soul. Suggesting I simply give up on him who reaches out to me is unfathomable to me.
Old 31-10-2014, 06:11 AM
Megamedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumi14
I'm not trying to push something down this mans throat, but I do see his hunger. It runs deep. I'm here seeing that hunger and hope I can somehow open his eyes a little bit so he can finally be at peace.

His eyes are open. Help him find peace in what he sees, not what you believe. There can be as much (or little) freedom in not believing in god as there can be in believing. Try to find the freedom in the world he sees, and show him the beauty of the path he is already on. God and Spirituality is not for everyone; in the end they are nothing more than made up concepts that tries to define certain experiences. Whether they are real or not, seems to be a matter of perception rather than truth Hope some of it helps...
Old 31-10-2014, 06:26 AM
yumi14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamedes
His eyes are open. Help him find peace in what he sees, not what you believe. There can be as much (or little) freedom in not believing in god as there can be in believing. Try to find the freedom in the world he sees, and show him the beauty of the path he is already on. God and Spirituality is not for everyone; in the end they are nothing more than made up concepts that tries to define certain experiences. Whether they are real or not, seems to be a matter of perception rather than truth Hope some of it helps...

I'm not sure how to help him find peace with his beliefs. His beliefs seem to further cause him pain and causes him to entertain suicidal thoughts more often than not.

I'm not sure how to give him hope. I want to. I want him to finally embrace life.
Old 31-10-2014, 07:25 AM
Megamedes

Quote:
I'm not sure how to help him find peace with his beliefs. His beliefs seem to further cause him pain and causes him to entertain suicidal thoughts more often than not.

It is quite possible to live a deep and profound life without God or Spirituality. And the hard truth is that if you cannot see the beauty of his path, then how can you show it to him? So maybe this is also a journey for you to see things from a different perspective. It could be that ancient philosophers like Aristotle will serve him better than God ever will. Just a thought...
Old 31-10-2014, 06:23 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstein
Quote:
Any insight is so appreciated.
I am suggesting, perhaps not clearly, that a different approach is needed. Doesn’t seem to me that ‘talk’ is going to get through at this point.
Quote:
I think it was rude for you to reply like that. Telling me I need to be broken thru to.
Perhaps a bit abrupt, sorry.
Quote:
That it is fantasy.
I did not say it is fantasy, I was suggesting that what you are telling him comes off as fantasy TO HIM.
Quote:
My experience confirms with me and I have formed my beliefs. Nobody can tell me otherwise.
And I would not try to convince you otherwise. Yet even though he perhaps wants it, you are trying to tell him otherwise (counter to his beliefs and experience). Doesn’t seem like an approach that is going to work.
Quote:
You made it out like that is a bad thing to want to help him. I have nothing but love and compassion for this pained soul. Suggesting I simply give up on him who reaches out to me is unfathomable to me.
He asked for help so I do not see providing it as ‘bad’ nor that you should give up on him. I did not suggest either.

Quote:
Any insight is so appreciated.
If I were to approach this, I would try to get him to have an experience outside the tangible/physical. Since obviously he doesn’t have access on his own, someone (perhaps you or a guide) will have to give it to him. Some suggestions are a vision, inner silence, verified prophesy, joint OBE, joint dreaming, or feel energy. Of course this is not the same a experiencing the divine, but it might provide a stepping stone to ‘larger horizons’.
Old 31-10-2014, 04:51 AM
Master
An ld friend I see only every few years for a chat is now quite the confirmed atheist and I found it quite funny how strongly he believes in it. Zealous almost... but it doesn't matter, every one finds themselves when they are ood and ready... or they don't, their choice.
Old 31-10-2014, 05:28 AM
Master
I'd have no issue with beliefs on God and the afterlife, but I would be concerned about suicidal thoughts.
Old 31-10-2014, 06:22 AM
yumi14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I'd have no issue with beliefs on God and the afterlife, but I would be concerned about suicidal thoughts.

Yes, I am very concerned with his suicidal thoughts. He seems to bring it up most conversations :(