Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 22-02-2016, 04:33 PM
Newbie ;)

Question Processed Vegan Food

Hello everyone,

myself am almost 5 years on a vegan diet and I still love it and see more and more choices coming up in the various stores

now I am interested what other fellow veggies think of particular vegan processed food ?

I know it is convenient and tasty at times, though some argue even to stay away from that as much as possible too ,whatever is too processed
Old 22-02-2016, 04:54 PM
Master

Vegan or non-vegan, processed food is processed food! Not a good idea to live on it exclusively, but every now and then shouldn't be a problem.

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 22-02-2016, 04:56 PM
Newbie ;)

Hi Brito,

I am very new to the vegan diet (just started TODAY in fact!) but I have my own opinions on processed foods in general... I tend to cook from scratch (previously my household comprised of 2 vegetarians and 5 meat eaters) but if the occasion called for it I wouldn't beat myself up for buying a box of beanburgers or a ready-made lasagne. In my opinion we do what we can, when we can; for some that is all the time, for others it is a less so. There is plenty of research available about the unnecessary ingredients in processed foods to prolong its shelf life among other issues with mass-produced goods, but at the end of the day you have to decide if you want to avoid them all the time, most of the time or not at all. We can't be slaves to guilt and worry about what others may think. What do YOU think? Just my take on it.
Much love
Old 22-02-2016, 05:07 PM
Newbie ;)

appreciate it

guess when i changed to veganism almost 5 years ago i was at that time inspired by people who were even vegan raw and they very much emphasised the nutrition part of food in particular

processed food just saves time and is tasty at times , not the most nutritious and whole food i guess

still trying to find a good balance for myself and yeah at the end only matters why i think about my choices of whether to buy more of it weekly or less
Old 25-03-2016, 05:42 PM
Newbie ;)

I have been vegan for 2 years. I try to eat whole plant-based foods as much as possible though there are times I will eat processed vegan foods. I think the processed vegan foods especially the meat analogues such Gardein and Beyond Meat are great for the market. Not everybody can transition to mainly fruits, vegetables, grains etc. exclusively. there are those who will still need a snack such as chips or a vegan cupcake to get them through or they may need the veggie burger or the faux chicken nuggets. I feel having these items available give people a better chance to stick to veganism and in the end it's a win for the planet and the animals.

vegmaste.com
Old 26-03-2016, 09:08 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brito
Hello everyone,

myself am almost 5 years on a vegan diet and I still love it and see more and more choices coming up in the various stores

now I am interested what other fellow veggies think of particular vegan processed food ?

I know it is convenient and tasty at times, though some argue even to stay away from that as much as possible too ,whatever is too processed

Processed food, whether vegetarian or not, is very low in prana or chi as compared to fresh food which is rich in it. They are also considered tamasic in Ayurveda, and hence does more damage to the body than good in the long run.

Processed food also comes with preservatives, which is also potentially harmmful to health.

So yes, you can go with processed food, once in a while, but more than that is bound to be bad for health.

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Old 26-03-2016, 12:35 PM
Master
I stay with whole foods as much as I can.
Old 26-03-2016, 01:28 PM
Master
oh but I like my veggie doggie!
Old 26-03-2016, 02:00 PM
Experiencer
I think the closer you stay to the source the better your food will be. But it takes time to move from a traditional diet to food close to the source.

I became vegetarian some 6-7 years ago and 3 years later or so I switched to full plant-based food.
I used to drink fortified soymilk for B12 and calcium, but someone pointed me to making my own soymilk.

Making your own soymilk from dry beans is a world of difference compared to what you buy in any supermarket. Much, much stronger, much more nutritious.
So when I got the taste of that I wondered what more I could make myself. My next step was baking my own bread. It took me about half a year to learn to bake a decent loaf of bread, but it's more then worth it. I use organic meal/flour and it has way more nutritions compared to the supermarket stuff. The difference was very obvious for me when I made that switch.

So I can confirm that processed food is a bad choice compared to whole foods, or close to the source. But you have to be ready for it and you probably need more time to prepare more of your own food from scratch, with orginal products.

I feel much better from it and that motivates or inspires me to go on with it. Because I feel so much better because of it.

I keep changing and improving my diet all the time. I am now learning to make bean burgers.
Who knows where I will be in 10 years from now. Maybe then I'll take a handful of wheat grains for breakfast. ;)
Old 04-06-2016, 08:49 PM
Pathfinder

It can be OK or it can be awful. Read the labels, especially for salt content.