Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 09-08-2015, 12:06 PM
Master

Apparently there is more than one variety of vegenaise.

"The main ingredients of Vegenaise include mustard, some kind of oil, apple cider vinegar, soy protein, brown rice syrup, salt, and lemon juice. Vegenaise comes in several varieties that mostly differ in the types of oils used: Original uses canola oil, Organic uses soybean oil, the Reduced Fat and Soy-Free versions use organic, expeller-pressed safflower oil, and finally there’s Grapeseed Oil. All recipes are 100% vegan, and most versions have less than 90 calories per teaspoon. Because of the oils used to make Vegenaise, it is also low in saturated fat." The above is from http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-...egg-free-mayo/

http://elizabethpalmerkitchen.com/homemade-vegenaise/ gives a recipe for homemade vegenaise.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:50 PM
Experiencer
That looks very interesting.
Thanks for the recipe. I saved it in my bookmarks.

Maybe I should first go to an organic shop and ask there some help for finding a vegenaise.
If the taste should disappoint I could then try to make my own. That's the easy way.
Maybe things have improved over the years.There is a good chance for that.

In the mean time I found a dutch version of the recipe too. Slightly different, but also easier.
I guess this could serve as a sandwich spread too. The main ingredients are soymilk and oil.
I make my own soymilk from dried beans. That could make it significantly cheap for me. But you also need apple cider vinegar....

Well, this will keep me going for the next year. It took me almost a year learning to make a tasty loaf of bread. Now I am going to learn to put something on it.

Last edited by mogenblue : 09-08-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 18-08-2015, 12:36 PM
Master

mb, yesterday I attended vegan wine and cheese tasting event at Whole Foods. I discovered more cheeses than I knew existed and lot of them were simply too good.

https://www.facebook.com/Grovernearf...62088477173747

If you click on the picture at the above link, you can see names and looks of some of the cheeses we tasted, 23 photos in all of various cheeses and vegan wines.
Old 18-08-2015, 03:48 PM
Experiencer
That looks very good Kris. I will have to try some of them. You have made me curious.

I started making my own spreads with beans like red kidney beans. The taste improves when you let it settle for a night in the fridge.
The taste is very good even though the flavor could be better. Somehow I taste that the spread is so nutricious that that makes up a lot for the flavor.
I make it with dried beans that I cook myself. So that makes it pretty cheap. It also made me understand that there is a lot possible with vegetable spreads/cheese.

At present and for the months to come budget is an issue to me. I have had a big unexpected expense that I have to recover from. That will take at least until the end of the year.

So I will take a close look at the vegan cheeses whenever I visit an organic shop. I do so regularly for my wheat. But it may take a little longer to pick some cheese and try it. I want to take a good look at the available varieties over here at the various shops in Amsterdam.
I have to make an educated choice for budget reasons.
Old 13-10-2015, 10:16 AM
Guide

I'm sure it's been said already, but I like to make my own nut butters, & other home made sauces & pastes.

I get some vegan cheeses that are "natural" - fermented nut cheeses from a local shop that is very very good. Oh Wow. Just like the real "dairy" thang..

& sometimes avocado, although it tastes to me like eggs.

& you can make hummus out of any bean too.

& something that is better saved for a treat; warmed almost toasted bread dipped in cold pressed olive oil (I love that real olive taste) & balsamic vinegar in the oil. Just a bit.
Old 14-10-2015, 12:30 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr33nLuv
& you can make hummus out of any bean too.

That is absolutely true. And you can also replace lemon juice with apple cider vinegar and olive oil can be replaced by many other kinds of oils: canola, sunflower, sesame, etcetera. It's good to vary with the ingredients, healthy.

I have been making hummus for about a month now and I really like it. You can play with flavors as much as you like. You can even go the sweet way. And when I think of sweet the first thing that comes to mind is chocolate. Yeah, chocolate! Bring it on!

So I have been thinking how to make my own chocolate paste. I peeked on the ingredientslist of some paste in the supermarket and let it sink in.

Here is my recipe for chocolate paste:

75g dry soybeans
or
175 g cooked soybeans
3 tbsp sunflower oil
75 ml water
60 g sugar
20 g coconut dessicate
1 tbsp coconut dessicate
25 g cocao
sniff salt
4 tsp vanilla essence

Put the dry soybeans under water and let them soak overningt in the refridgerator. Rinse them and cook them in 40 minutes. By soaking and cooking they swell to about 175 grams.
Put the beans with the oil and water in a foodprocessor. Mix to a smooth pulp.
Measure of the other dry ingredients in a bowl but save the last tablespoon of coconut dessicate for last.
Add the vanilla essence and remaining dry ingredients and mix well.
Add the extra tablespoon of coconut dessicate as last to make the mixture thicker.
Done.

rough US measures
2.5 oz dry soybeans
or
6 oz cooked soybeans
3 tbsp sunflower oil
2.5 oz water
2 oz sugar
3/4 oz coconut dessicate
1 tbsp coconut dessicate
25 g cocao
sniff salt
4 tsp vanilla essence

I tried this a few times and I really like it. You can also (partially) replace sugar with brown sugar or whatever sweetener you prefer.
You can also store it in small portions and save it in the freezer.

Lots of variations possible here too: a few chopped almonds or hazelnuts to start with.
I will make my own nut butter with part beans, part nuts. Because it saves so many calories. I haven't tried it yet, I have to eat it all too, you know. But I will definitely try my luck on peanutbutter with maybe 1/2 soybeans and 1/2 peanuts. From there on I will see how to go on. Cashew, almonds, whatever.
Old 14-10-2015, 12:36 PM
Ascender

I love pure coconut oil on bread
Old 14-10-2015, 02:34 PM
Experiencer
I followed suite, scotch. I put it on a few crackers.
Usually I use it to grease my breadpans when I bake bread. It's better resistant to high oven temperatures then sunfloweroil.

This is so easy. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2015, 12:28 AM
Newbie ;)

canarian mojo sauce

I'm vegan and made my spreads myself for many years with all sorts of ingredients.

But lately I'm buying and using exclusively Canarian mojo ready made. Red and green.

I cannot post an URL yet, very funny, but Google: pinkrecepibox followed by dot com followed by slash red-and-green-canarian-mojo-sauces
Old 01-12-2015, 06:42 AM
Experiencer
Red and Green Canarian Mojo Sauces

there you go