Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 06-08-2015, 04:27 PM
Master

I'm in the UK. Numerous vegan cheeses available here. Vegusto in Switzerland make vegan cheese, so there's a good chance you could get it in Holland..

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 06-08-2015, 06:23 PM
Experiencer
Well, if you look at the healthy eating pyramid by Harvard, they are not so enthousiastic about meat and dairy either.

I think I should just skip the whole concept of cheese and their alternatives. I think people in Asia are further in their culture of healthy food. Without animal based food.

And there is also the issue of how much I am able to spend on food. I want to keep enough left over for other nice things and unexpected expenses as well.

A cheese alternative does not fit well in that picture for me. I have to learn to look different at food. Maybe somewhere in the future I may put tempeh slices on a pizza. Just because Italians invented pizza and put cheese on every pizza does not mean I have to do the same. If you keep looking at food like everybody else does and did in the past you will never progress.

And I need progress. I experienced that my health has seriously improved since I stopped using meat and dairy. I feel so much better and healthier. So I think it would be better for me to just skip the concept of cheese and meat alternatives.

I am not a 100% veganist. I don't need to be for my health. My diet is probably somewhere around 97-98% plant based. If I would be invited to a dinner with meat I don't need to skip it for principal reasons. But in general my body benefits from plant based food. So I should not try to keep looking in the direction of animal based food.

Or plant based substitutes for that matter.
In my opinion.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:32 PM
Master
mushed up avocado makes an amazing spread for sandwiches. I'm not vegan but it's probably my favourite thing, above and beyond all those products that are actually intended to be sandwich condiments.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:48 PM
Luv avocado spread!

Mayonnaise : I pour evap milk in a blender with some olive oil, Extra light, how much? I dunno...or the
cold-pressed oil of your
choice....blend and take lid off....slowly pour vinegar or lemon juice in until it thickens...yum.
Refrigerate.

Turn blender off at first sign of thickening, happens fast.
Could also shake in a jar.

Also you can then use this as a base for salad dressings.

Some people make onion dip....sour cream and that chemicaled Liptons onion soup mix or Knorr's...good on a sandwich.

I love all kinds of mustards on my vegetarian sandwiches.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 07-08-2015, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator
Hummus....wow!
Tahini...wow with lots of calcium and protein.
Mushroom pate....wow. (Tartex also make other tasty tubes of vegan spreads.)
Vegan cheese....nice.
Avocado and garlic with pepper.....lovely.
Many other nut butters apart from peanut butter...almond, cashew, etc.
So many vegan spreads around nowadays.
Vegan mayonnaise also available!
Marmite...yum!
Old 07-08-2015, 03:36 AM
Experiencer
I just have to get to work with it.
Almonds and hazelnuts are very expensive at the moment. I bought some about a month ago and almonds were about 40% up in price. Hazelnuts were about double the price of almonds. I have to keep it affordable.
So a spread based on soybeans or chickpeas with gritted almonds or hazelnuts could be interesting.

I like avocado too. And mushroom pate looks very good to me.
This is the mushroom sauce I am so crazy about. It's the Five Spices flavor that I tried.

I will definitely do more with all of these.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator
I know, mogenblue, the cost of nuts has gone up and up. Even seeds are not cheap any more. The cheapest seem to be sunflower seeds. These are very good, gorgeous toasted, and if you have a blender you can make nut butter from them.

Now my idea for a real treat...Have you ever eaten wild hazelnuts? They are so milky and sweet -nothing LIKE the bought ones. If you can find a place where Hazels grow, I recommend devoting a weekend to collecting them!
When you crack them, discard any which have brown spots on the 'fruit' as these are off and will taste horribly bitter! But a good collection should last you through until next Spring.
Don't worry about depriving the Squirrels. There are hundreds of nuts in the canopy which humans could never reach!
Old 08-08-2015, 05:26 AM
Experiencer
I will keep that in mind Tobi. Sounds like a great idea.
I paid 12 euro for 500 gram hazelnuts a month ago. If I had bought it in an organic shop it could haven been double that prize.
So I will keep an eye on wild hazelnuts. I regularly go out for a walk across town. In various directions. Also walk through the parks here around. Autumn is not too very far away. If I find a hazelnut tree I will go up there with a plastic bag and collect wild hazelnuts. Thanks for the tip about the Squirrels. I do care a little bit about them.

I use it to make my own hazelnut milk. About 100 gram for 1 liter of milk. After mixing the nuts I poor the pulp back into the milk. That gives a rich tasty nutmilk. I love it and nothing goes to waste.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:20 PM
Master

Have you tried vegenaise?
Old 09-08-2015, 06:32 AM
Experiencer
Well, I tried that in the past, some 25 years ago and I found it tasted like putty. I don't know if they managed to improve the taste overtime, but if it still tastes like that...

I use regular mayonaise or saladsauce with egg yolk occasionally. That's one of the reasons I am not fully vegan. I could try a veganaise. It's pretty expensive compared to regular mayonaise, but since I don't use it that much it could be a reasonable alternative. I like it on fried fries.
I have a sauce for fries that is in the fridge for months. It has probably less then 5% egg in it.

Can you say anything about the taste of it?