Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 26-03-2020, 08:37 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicValet
Who do you consider to be an exceptional Spiritual Teacher? Though my favorite would be Alan Watts, he would probably consider himself more of a philosopher than a guru.
SlayerOfLight.
Old 26-03-2020, 09:58 PM
Angel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
Except me.
Peace
I'm sorry, I forgot.
But, I see you've already forgiven me.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 26-03-2020, 11:11 PM
Master
Darshan is a very personal, and intimate, spiritual experience that takes place between student and external teacher. I can relate very well to the experiences you just shared Miss. H. I used to sit around with other students/devotees of various gurus and other teachers and we would share "darshan stories." Just sharing those stories would bring joy to those who have had similar experiences. Often these talks, as I know you know, were considered "satsang;" the company of truth.

A transmission between teacher and students not in words or ideas, but in a very fine and incredible presence. A presence that could remove you from your physical body and show you yourself in different ways. An intoxicating experience transmitted in silence by a spiritually astute teacher. This is how I knew, and trusted, that teacher was speaking, when they did speak, from a greater, more expansive, level of being. Yeah, "the WOW Zone."
Old 27-03-2020, 03:15 AM
Master

For those who enjoy such books I can recommend Love Everyone by Parvati Markus. A collection of reminiscences by those who spent time with Neem Karoli Baba in the 1960s and 1970s.

Peace
Old 27-03-2020, 10:20 AM
Master
Quote:
Who do you consider to be an exceptional Spiritual Teacher? Though my favorite would be Alan Watts, he would probably consider himself more of a philosopher than a guru.

I think there are many people out there that can share an interesting message, and might know a thing or two about it. However, I don't call other people a ''spiritual teacher'' because such a title is loaded with expectations. It creates a dichotomy between the one that has ''the truth'' and has it 'actualized', has become ''the Special One'' in a sense, and the one that hasn't, and is ''still in ignorance''.

There's a difference between teachers in general life, be it any science topic, cooking expert, or whatever, and a so called *spiritual teacher*. Humans tend to give the latter unnecessary worship and power, and elevate such teachers to a being that is perfect and infallible. They claim to have answers to questions that are fundamental to being human, and answers that cannot be proven to be true, yet collectively we tend to persist in giving them the easy way out.

So, to answer your question, I simply believe there are none worthy of the title because I refuse to play that game.
Old 27-03-2020, 12:42 PM
hazada guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
I think there are many people out there that can share an interesting message, and might know a thing or two about it. However, I don't call other people a ''spiritual teacher'' because such a title is loaded with expectations. It creates a dichotomy between the one that has ''the truth'' and has it 'actualized', has become ''the Special One'' in a sense, and the one that hasn't, and is ''still in ignorance''.

There's a difference between teachers in general life, be it any science topic, cooking expert, or whatever, and a so called *spiritual teacher*. Humans tend to give the latter unnecessary worship and power, and elevate such teachers to a being that is perfect and infallible. They claim to have answers to questions that are fundamental to being human, and answers that cannot be proven to be true, yet collectively we tend to persist in giving them the easy way out.

So, to answer your question, I simply believe there are none worthy of the title because I refuse to play that game.

Well said.
Old 27-03-2020, 03:04 PM
Quote:
I think there are many people out there that can share an interesting message, and might know a thing or two about it.
However, I don't call other people a ''spiritual teacher'' because such a title is loaded with expectations. It creates a dichotomy between the one that has ''the truth'' and has it 'actualized', has become ''the Special One'' in a sense, and the one that hasn't, and is ''still in ignorance''.

There's a difference between teachers in general life, be it any science topic, cooking expert, or whatever, and a so called *spiritual teacher*.
Humans tend to give the latter unnecessary worship and
power,and elevate such teachers to a being that is perfect and infallible.

They claim to have answers to questions that are fundamental to being human, and answers that cannot be proven to be true, yet collectively we tend to persist in giving them the easy way out.

Ok...needless to say I have comments.

"game'? Either the person has something to teach or he does not. No game. Walk away if he/she doesn't!

'Interesting' is something the mind loves...not a bad thing.
Along with expectations ---not bad.
If I go to a spiritual teacher I DO expect him to teach me something.
Why wouldn't I or else I will move on.

But a spiritual teacher isn't there to create anything interesting to the intellect - but to teach the heart and the spirit the a person.
When you feel inspired - it isn't 'interesting'...It's just a beautiful feeling.
And hopefully wisdom follows.

'Cannot be proven' - that comes from the worldy, carnal, secular, scientific
part of the mind, which has it's place.
In fact, I like the worldly mind, but I know when to place it aside in matters of the spirit and love.

Science teachers can prove things. I want them to.
Spiritual teachers teach how to experience the unseen, the intangible - more love, more insight, upliftment - sorry - the proof is
in your own heart, your own intuition of what rings true.
There will never be scientific proof.
You are the proof.

Any sort of worship is an individual thing. A spiritual teacher could teach you and you do not have to put them
on any pedestal...in fact there is no reason to; so what, he/she is a sibling that has exp'd something you haven't 'yet'...and
wants to help you get rid of your self-made limitations.

Thank them, that's all.

'Still in ignorance' - hey, if someone can teach me, show me something, help me with something I do not know yet - but I want to know... Thank you.
If someone doesn't want that ---if someone is worshipping him, giving him $$...none of that has anything to do with me.

None of this was meant to convince you, Altair, of anything ---it's just a different perspective given.
I also want 'proof' from a spiritual teacher if he bills himself that by placing swami in front of his name...but, it's not a
tangible proof to anyone but myself.

Take care.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 27-03-2020, 03:31 PM
Master
A true teacher shares his being, not by a doing by just being and the connection the student makes helps to clear issues and fears. Allows one to progress.

Such a teacher is rare.

Most teachers in traditions have spent a lifetime learning and practicing proven meditation and energy techniques that have been passed down for thousands of years.

They are there to guide, to show and to answer questions to help you.

Power, control, etc.. does happen and someone should run.. but those are the exceptions and not the rule.
Old 27-03-2020, 04:33 PM
Master

Quote:
[...]

I simply believe there are none worthy of the title because I refuse to play that game.

It could be pointed out that you are here participating on a website wholly devoted to discussion of matters spiritual, and offering necessarily self-comparative opinion on what constitutes sufficient or insufficient merit in said matters.

That qualified judgement (implicitly conferring title to oneself) is the very definition of playing the game!

~ J
Old 27-03-2020, 05:26 PM
Master

spiritual teacher

Quote:

People can learn spirituality from various sources like books , history , mediation , elements of nature and last but not the least any person having spiritual mastery and willing to share the same with one .

Though I try to learn from various sources , I had the privilege of learning from the life oriented lectures of Shri Pandurang Shashtri Athavale in Mumbai. If one finds anything useful in my posts one can definitely relate it to his teachings and if finds something wrong /bad one can attribute it my lack of understanding his teachings.

Idol worship or Hero worship is in the very basic nature of human being . If one does not believe in spiritual teacher then he/she may believe in some Hollywood icon or some billionaire or some politician . Whatever one says , one has no alternative in life but to follow others . If that's the case why not a great person like a spiritual master.