Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 11-07-2017, 01:37 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDayAfterYesterday
I got to the last episode last night. Very enjoyable, although the show has a few problems with the actual story. There were several contradictions in the movie regarding his own words about religion and enlightenment. Even though it had a few problems, it was basically done very well. I have always had one problem with the life of the Buddha. It's the single defining factor in all enlightenment. His desire from the foundation was for himself, denying his own duty to family and son. He wanted peace for his own mind, yet denied his duties toward the very purpose of suffering. At the end of the mystery of mind, a person must become selfless, serving others with the strength of wisdom gained. Of course, he did this, yet still missed the mark of the primary means to this end--family.

Suffering cannot be removed apart from realization of the purpose of suffering. This is the single fault of any human being. Of course, much of what we now know about this was gained by the sacrifices of his own family for mankind. There is no paradox in his destiny, but the one part of the story every must eventually realize. Suffering brings joy. For every joy, there is a price to pay. I wrote about this here: The Fault in Buddha

Flipping suffering to a cause, rather than a result, is the key to joy. Suffer on purpose.
I also always was turned off by the walking away from family but this series actually helped me to see it thru different eyes. For one it was accepted back then but what got me mostly is he said that they had been married 7 times in 7 lifetimes where this was the last. He also said to Gopa that he has walked this path to this point for ages and ages. It was his destiny.

The cessation of identifying with the fluctuations arising within consciousness
Old 24-07-2017, 09:11 AM
Ascender

Hi Blue sky and thanks for turning me on to this series. I think I'm somewhere around episode 15. Siddhartha is still a prince and is about to marry Gopha.
If I may elaborate on the buddha leaving his family behind. Please remember that the buddha was a prince. He wasn't a dead beat dad that left his wife and child in a council flat on welfare. As Bodiyhana stated his wife, step mother and son all became ordained members of the sangha and like most Asians, he would have been very family orientated.
Old 25-07-2017, 11:19 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunc
Hi Blue sky and thanks for turning me on to this series. I think I'm somewhere around episode 15. Siddhartha is still a prince and is about to marry Gopha.
If I may elaborate on the buddha leaving his family behind. Please remember that the buddha was a prince. He wasn't a dead beat dad that left his wife and child in a council flat on welfare. As Bodiyhana stated his wife, step mother and son all became ordained members of the sangha and like most Asians, he would have been very family orientated.
Hi Shaunc, I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the series. With respect to him leaving his family, I thought it was interesting that he and Gopha talk about how this is the 7th life they have been joined.
For me, I see that as something I never considered and it makes his leaving more about something they did together. True or not, it shows me that just because something like him leaving might bother me, I may be missing the whole picture. In fact sure that I am.
Well you have 40 more episodes to go! Enjoy!

Old 19-08-2017, 11:40 PM
Ascender

It's taken a while but I'm probably around episode 27. He's just left the palace to pursue the life of an ascetic. One thing that did come to mind for me was after his kingdom was attacked and his father was wounded there was a big gathering of the ruling class. The buddha as you would expect was opposed to a retaliatory attack although everyone else was in favour of it. I'm glad he became an ascetic as I don't feel that he would have been a very good king.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:22 PM
Ascender

I finally finished it and how glad I am to Bluesky for tipping it to me. I would thoroughly recommended to everyone interested in buddhism to watch this series.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:25 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunc
I finally finished it and how glad I am to Bluesky for tipping it to me. I would thoroughly recommended to everyone interested in buddhism to watch this series.
That's awesome, I'm glad you liked it. Looking back, what the series did for me was to open my eyes to different ways to understand some of the stories.
Have a great day!

Old 04-10-2017, 11:34 PM
Ascender

What I noticed that I feel a lot of westerners that follow buddhism have failed to notice is that the buddha didn't expect or ask his lay followers to adhere to the same rules as his ordained sangha. I suppose that people that choose to follow more than the 5 precepts in their practice aren't going to do themselves any harm but it's not really necessary.
The other thing that I noticed is that the major teachings of buddhism are really quite simple to follow and don't necessarily need an academic approach to the understanding of the teachings.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:27 PM
Eelco

Anyone know how or where to watch this with subtitles?
the netflix and youtube playlist are not available in my country