Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 18-01-2016, 02:40 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr33nLuv
Gotcha, I have read the forum rules, I do not always remember them.

I guess I felt a little thrown back upon reading a moderator giving the advice to use antidepressants. It seems however, that I am in the wrong a lot on this board, & need to watch myself as I've possibly ticked off a few mods already.

Thank you for the heads up. Sometimes I need a reminder.

Oh your fine, Gre33nluv, I wasn't singling either of you, it was more of a disclaimer for safety reasons, and I often post the rules of the forum around all the threads. Both of your opinions aren't out of the ordinary. Moderators are human and members too, trust me, I have to remind myself of the rules too
Old 18-01-2016, 06:19 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr33nLuv
Be careful of antidepressants, they can make things worse. I know everyone is different. If one doesn't learn what it is that causes Depression, emotionally in their lives, antidepressants will not be any fix at all. They can make one quite ill, & yes I am sure there are a good few they have worked for.

That's quite accurate, and the research I have read suggests that medications are more suited as a short term strategy in more severe cases than as long term strategies, and in mild cases. It's also the case that medication is more effective in some individuals while not effective with others (be careful of terms such as 'treatment resistant'). Medication as a general subject in psychiatry is a highly controversial area mainly because the bio-medical approach does not consider and social or environmental determinants of mental illness. Indeed if the stressors are social and environmental, medication alone is not likely to be effective.

Quote:
They did not work for myself, (coming from severely depressive states) & I had to keep upping the dosage higher & higher, even when I felt completely numbed out. To the point where I got into other behaviors just so I could feel again.

I have a past of trauma, depression, & PSTD, to name a few. Some of them I allow to haunt me, & some I have been able to let go. I would definitely check in with a T (therapist) of some type, Enchanted. If you find one that suits. & as another mentioned, baby steps. Look after YOU, your health. Your mind. Your spirit.

Oh yes, the therapist that suits the individual is perhaps the most effective way forward. I have researched on people who were inpatients who underwent therapy, and they mostly said that the quality of the relationship (trust and personal rapport) they had with their therapist was the most effective part. It's worth mentioning that both social engagement (like peer groups, friends/family and employment) in the community, and medications, were also cited as important (noting that these were severe cases requiring hospitalisation). There's tones of literature that makes these same claims.

Quote:
The more you know & understand about what it is that causes you to respond, act, feel, think the way you do, the better in time you can & will feel, because you CAN change.

Depression can be causation of many things, deficiencies in nutrition, or (a food allergy), emotional pain (ptsd)

Saying sorry, is something I automatically did for a very long time. Even though I knew I never meant it, for me it was automatic word vomit as I was afraid to JUST BE. Alive. In anyone's way. YOU get a turn too. You have just as much right to be here. To act. To have a chance, To have AN OPINION.

If you can find a T you trust, look into therapies such as CBT or DBT. DBT can be a powerful tool to help you with getting grounded, being mindful, interpersonal relations, self soothing and much more. It may be a good starting field & you may find a T that is more suited with past trauma's in this same area. You can do one on one, & they also offer group. I am only stating this, as the fear of abandonment spoke very loud to me with the Depression/PTSD/past trauma -growing up. It may be helpful to you & it may not. Hopefully you are able to find a place in your area that isn't costly. Some are private practices & others are not, such as out patient clinics.

All the best to you, Enchanted.

That sounds fair, and in the end there are many options and avenues available, so to me, the first step is to find out what kinds of help are available, and might as well go with something that one thinks is well suited to themselves. If a therapy is engaged, all the research according to people receiving therapy suggests that it is the personal qualities of trust and genuine fondness in the working relationship that makes all the difference.