Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Crystals & Gemstones

Old 21-09-2018, 02:26 AM
Experiencer
Suggestions for good Stones to use jewelry/pendants

I am looking to pick up some crystals from a friend of mine with intentions of wire wrapping them to make pendants and some necklaces. I am thinking of not only using some geodes but also some flat more polished crystals as well. Beside Amythest what are some good stones that are hard and durable to use?

Because I still view myself as a novice at crystals and still learning and I know many of you in here are very knowledgable, that is why I am reaching out. I am not certain of which others may be good besides Amythest that are not shale like or will flake or crack because their constitution is not good. I am open to suggestions of anything colorful or pretty that would make a nice looking pendant that has a good hardness and can be cleaned and washed if needed. I plan on using tarnish free silver wire on them so if anything stands out please share with me and let me know what is appealing as well as sturdy to use.
Old 21-09-2018, 05:52 AM
Experiencer
I personally don't know a lot of their metaphysical benefits, but I do know a lot about specific stones and their durability. There are many types of stones that would work well. Do you have any favorite colours ? Do you have a budget ?

Many of the other types of quartz would work well like such as citrine.

Tourmaline is a very pretty gem and comes in many colours,( actually every color ) even multi-colored or color change. It's my wife's favorite gem. If your not too picky you can get some very good gem quality materials for very good prices. I bought myself a 5.7 carat flawless color change tourmaline stone in an emerald cut straight from Sri Lanka for less than $ 200. ( My wife's tourmaline was much more but that's another story ) This I plan on making a ring for myself, but you could get some nice ones for a pendant that maybe weren't flawless, for extremely cheap online. You could probably get something awesome even with multi-colors for under $ 30.

Ammolite is also very colorful and works well with pendants. It's not a very hard stone, but it never seems to be a problem with the jewelry I've seen and people use it all the time.

Pendants are more forgiving than say rings, you could even get away with fluorite, it comes in many beautiful colors as well.

If you give me your favorite colours, or tell me a combination of colors, I could easily recommend you some good and durable stones. If you don't have a set budget I could recommend something from the corundum family of gems maybe ? I don't think you need to spend an arm and a leg to get a crazy cool stone. Fire agate is very cool but can cost quite a bit. Same with opal. Labradorite is wildly crazy cool, but you must be close or at the right angle to really appreciate it.
Old 21-09-2018, 06:26 AM
Master
Have you wire wrapped before?

If you haven't, I would start with inexpensive pieces and possibly free ones
i can find.

If you are confident with your wire wrapping, I would wrap what gravitated to you.
Old 21-09-2018, 09:20 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal canuck
I personally don't know a lot of their metaphysical benefits, but I do know a lot about specific stones and their durability. There are many types of stones that would work well. Do you have any favorite colours ? Do you have a budget ?

Many of the other types of quartz would work well like such as citrine.

Tourmaline is a very pretty gem and comes in many colours,( actually every color ) even multi-colored or color change. It's my wife's favorite gem. If your not too picky you can get some very good gem quality materials for very good prices. I bought myself a 5.7 carat flawless color change tourmaline stone in an emerald cut straight from Sri Lanka for less than $ 200. ( My wife's tourmaline was much more but that's another story ) This I plan on making a ring for myself, but you could get some nice ones for a pendant that maybe weren't flawless, for extremely cheap online. You could probably get something awesome even with multi-colors for under $ 30.

Ammolite is also very colorful and works well with pendants. It's not a very hard stone, but it never seems to be a problem with the jewelry I've seen and people use it all the time.

Pendants are more forgiving than say rings, you could even get away with fluorite, it comes in many beautiful colors as well.

If you give me your favorite colours, or tell me a combination of colors, I could easily recommend you some good and durable stones. If you don't have a set budget I could recommend something from the corundum family of gems maybe ? I don't think you need to spend an arm and a leg to get a crazy cool stone. Fire agate is very cool but can cost quite a bit. Same with opal. Labradorite is wildly crazy cool, but you must be close or at the right angle to really appreciate it.

Thanks for the advice. I am partial to Blues but am open to other colors as well. I do have a labradorite palm stone that is quite beautiful but I do know what you mean about catching it at the correct angle to appreciate the colors. I will look up some of the ones you mention and have a look at them. What's nice is my best friend and her boyfriend are opening a crystal shop together so she may be able to get some good pricing from her supplier once I pass on some names of stones to ask for. I did like the blue in cavansite but I understand this is a more delicate crystal and not as durable I understand. I want to see if she is able to get any geodes as well that are not too big but still small enough to wrap for pendants.
Old 22-09-2018, 03:33 AM
Experiencer
Hi Spirit bird ! I am happy you found my information somewhat useful. Now that I know you are partial to blue, I can refine my recommendation for you.

I still think tourmaline would be beautiful, the blue variety can be expensive but if you don't mind a small inclusion or maybe a small segment being cloudy in one area, you could get one for a steal. Small inclusions wouldn't matter anyway with the type of work you are doing.

Sapphire is a classic awesome blue, and it would be really nice I think to be able to say you are wearing a large sapphire. It's got the hardness you want. Same thing as the tourmaline, normally very expensive but some small inclusions and you could walk away with a huge sapphire for a steal.

Aquamarine is nice, but more of a light baby blue...I am thinking you probably want a rich gemmy blue.

I could recommend some cheaper stones, but you can get these awesome durable classic ones if you don't mind a little sacrifice.
Old 23-09-2018, 03:44 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Have you wire wrapped before?

If you haven't, I would start with inexpensive pieces and possibly free ones
i can find.

If you are confident with your wire wrapping, I would wrap what gravitated to you.

No I have never wire wrapped before, but have researched it well. I have watched a ton of videos and obtained some books too. I plan on starting off with a few more inexpensive pieces first. Luckily my best friend is in the process of opening her own crystal shop so she gets a good rate through her supplier she is using.
Old 24-09-2018, 12:21 PM
Master
You mentioned Amethyst, so I would suggest checking out Ametrine and also Chevron Amethyst :)
Old 25-09-2018, 03:40 PM
Master

Nice blue stones for pendants : Aquamarine definitely, Iolite if you like darker blues, sapphires, Lapis lazuli, sodalite and Kyanite
Green stones like amazonite, turquoise, blue green aquamarine and green fluorite would look lovely too.

Topaz pendants in clear yellow and light blue are also popular choices.
Old 25-09-2018, 11:55 PM
Experiencer
Thank you guys for all the suggestions. It is greatly appreciated. I have been looking up images of some of these suggested and do like a few of them I think I will consider getting to try out for my wire wrapping. I also considered cavansite because I fell in love with the color but I'm not sure if it will be durable enough because I know it is more fragile. I am giving some thoughts to trying at least one piece to see how it comes out.
Old 26-09-2018, 11:54 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit bird
I also considered cavansite because I fell in love with the color but I'm not sure if it will be durable enough because I know it is more fragile. I am giving some thoughts to trying at least one piece to see how it comes out.

It certainly has a wonderful colour. Perhaps consider Blue Apatite which has a
hardness of 5 (Cavansite is 3 to 4).