Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 02-02-2013, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator
Vegan cheese...

...Got some today! I went to my local Health Food Shop, and was surprised by the array of vegan cheeses. Different flavours (blue cheese, cheshire, cheddar with chives, etc) Made with care by a Scottish company. It's called "Sheese".The cheeses are just over £2 each, which isn't that much more expensive than regular cheese.
I got cheddar with chives. It's absolutely gorgeous!
When I went vegan I missed cheese. So this is a good discovery.
(Thank you knightofalbion for originally pointing me in the right direction! I had no idea vegan cheese existed prior to that!)
Old 11-02-2013, 02:28 AM
Chango

Daiya cheese is also pretty awesome. Haven't heard of Sheese though. Cheese was the one thing that was stopping me switching from a vegetarian diet to a vegan one, but I got over that and glad I did.

On a side note, do you know any good vegan yogurts?
Old 11-02-2013, 08:13 AM
primrose

I wish I could get some good Vegan cheese here, All I can find is soy based and not too tasty.
Old 22-02-2013, 03:25 AM
StephenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango
On a side note, do you know any good vegan yogurts?

Here's a good review of some of the vegan based yogurts on the market. Most are made of soy, but there's a promising coconut brand that's worth looking into! :^)
http://www.veganbaking.net/product-reviews/522-vegan-yogurt-review

or you can make your own :^)
Easy Homemade Vegan Yogurt: No Equipment Required
http://wakingupvegan.com/2012/09/23/homemade-vegan-yogurt-no-equipment-required/

Last edited by StephenK : 22-02-2013 at 05:28 AM.
Old 22-02-2013, 03:52 AM
NewlyAwakening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi
...Got some today! I went to my local Health Food Shop, and was surprised by the array of vegan cheeses. Different flavours (blue cheese, cheshire, cheddar with chives, etc) Made with care by a Scottish company. It's called "Sheese".The cheeses are just over £2 each, which isn't that much more expensive than regular cheese.
I got cheddar with chives. It's absolutely gorgeous!
When I went vegan I missed cheese. So this is a good discovery.
(Thank you knightofalbion for originally pointing me in the right direction! I had no idea vegan cheese existed prior to that!)

Yay!!! Vegan cheese is awesome!!! Yay you!! :)

Do you have Two Boots (pizza place) where you are? They have an amazing vegan slice. I had two of said slices today so its fresh on the brain, lol. :)
Old 22-02-2013, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator
No Two Boots here unfortunately. Not even a Vegan restaurant. But never mind, maybe I'll dream of that pizza tonight ! LOL!
Old 08-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Knower
Im not a big sheese fan, I like some cheesly...Vegusto vegan cheese is amaaaazing, tried it a Bristol veg fest a couple of years ago, but even today it is still pretty expensive for a block of it...worth it tho occasionally

vegusto.co.uk
Old 08-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Guide

How does one make diary products without diary ? Sounds like a question someone would resolve in a science lab. So why go chemical instead of natural ?

I can understand the difficulty of forcing a diet swap, but doesn't it seem kinda backwards to look for meat and diary substitutes when one has deliberately chosen to remove such products from one's diet ?

Just some food for thought.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Knower
All Vegusto's cheese's are organic and natural...as far as I know

I understand your point Fire and as a vegan of four years I have eventually found myself ditching the processed, factory based foods in favour of natural food that haven't been messed around with. But I do think meat substitutes have their uses. Trying to convert an average corpse cruncher to a veggie/vegan diet is made a hell of a lot easier if done via meat substitutes. The person can enjoy their usual meals but with meat substitutes. mentally this is a much more smooth transaction and has minimal effect on a persons eating habits.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
For "meat substitutes" that Quorn mince is quite nice. It makes a good Shepherd's pie. Even hardened meat-eaters enjoy it if it's flavoured nicely. It works well when a meal has to be made for meat-eaters and vegetarians at the same time.
But I now hear it's not Vegan, that it contains some egg...

I found an great Vegan soft cheese (with chives) in my health food shop (can't remember what it was called, but came in a pot) It was not too cheap, but not prohibitively expensive. Gorgeous!
But unfortunately it doesn't keep. I ate some, then put it back in the fridge for a later date....then 2 weeks later found it has to be eaten within 5 days.