Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 13-05-2019, 04:49 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineBloggs
Sky, I could be wrong but you can come across as accusatory, if that's the right word, I may think of a better one. Can put people on the defensive, again could be wrong in my assumption. I do this too at tmes. People will be reluctant in opening up.

I can't join in the conversation if I only get half of the story JB. Honza thinks he's a prime example of illnessess but doesn't know which/what these illnesses are, that's confusing me..
Best to stay out of the Thread maybe
Old 13-05-2019, 07:23 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
I can't join in the conversation if I only get half of the story JB. Honza thinks he's a prime example of illnessess but doesn't know which/what these illnesses are, that's confusing me..
Best to stay out of the Thread maybe

I was half and half to comment myself. Oh well
Old 14-05-2019, 04:07 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
How do you see the relationship between the ego and the "I". In the West the ego and the "I" are often seen as the same psychological thing. In the East it is slightly different, whereby you can have the universal inner "I" which is very different from the outer ego.

I am slowly coming to understand that because of my fear of ego I have actually supressed my own inner "I". I was equating all "I" with ego. But in fact I am learning that there is a healthy "I" and there is a ego "I".

There is also the findings of modern psychology which understands that suppression of various parts of the ego causes illness. I think I may be a prime example of this case.

Hi,
I have understood the following by now:
In the psyche, there is the "I" and the "self". The "I" is the consciousness, which is our true nature. The consciousness seems to be located in the body. On a mental level, there is a mental picture of the actual body and to that picture some personality quolities have been adopted. This mental image of the body is what we call "the self". I could say, the self has earthly or bodily or animalistic origin, where The "i" is trancedental. The self has somewhat like a mirror nature. The "i" watches the self (which acts like a mirror) and decides ,that it is what it sees, however it is a deception, the self (being like a mirror) reflects the body quolities, then when we are not informed we decide that we are what we see in the mirror (self).

This is a random picture from the web and whoever did this art is aware of the mental body.

"Behind your thoughts and emotions, there is a mighty ruler, my friend.His name is the self.He is your body" - Friedrih Nietcshe

Nietsche uses the word "my friend" which suggest ,that this "ruler" is a good thing. I discovered ,that many problems in our psyche come out of us being identified whith the body (self).

I believe in Aristotle, who had said that conquering the self iss the greatest victories of all.

Im not sure what exactly "ego" means, but it definately leads to individualization and feeling of separatrness with the universe and other people. And the "i" or consciousness, there is only one consciousness in our universe .

What I have said is only general view and it is not 100% correct, but is the right path to study.
Old 14-05-2019, 08:35 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
The ego is a false sense of self.
You said,
" I think I may be a prime example of this case. " but you dont know what illnesses are caused.
If you think your a prime example you would know why
I'm not sure what you talking about Honza, so I can't really converse with you...

Do you know anything about psychology? To a psychologist the ego is very different to a 'false sense of self'. There is the id, the ego and the superego. I do not know much about it myself. But you must have noticed that the word ego in the west is used differently to how it is used in the east.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 14-05-2019, 08:39 AM
Master
I'm not sure why I ought to know what is making me ill. It is not something which is common knowledge.

I can observe in myself that I have an aversion to the word "I". I feel the "I" is unclean and impure. But there is more to it than that.

A psychologist will interpret my aversion to "I" as a suppression of some part of the ego. An eastern mystic will interpret it differently.

Old 14-05-2019, 08:44 AM
Knower
Quote:
I'm not sure why I ought to know what is making me ill. It is not something which is common knowledge.

I can observe in myself that I have an aversion to the word "I". I feel the "I" is unclean and impure. But there is more to it than that.

A psychologist will interpret my aversion to "I" as a suppression of some part of the ego. An eastern mystic will interpret it differently.

I would suggest to find a way to gain awareness about yourself. Meditation, keeping a diary analyzing your memories of your past undestanding the reasons for your behaviour and the life choices you have made
Old 14-05-2019, 08:45 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineBloggs
Sky, I could be wrong but you can come across as accusatory, if that's the right word, I may think of a better one. Can put people on the defensive, again could be wrong in my assumption. I do this too at tmes. People will be reluctant in opening up.

Thank you Josephine. Sky is very difficult to talk to.

Old 14-05-2019, 08:46 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalsun
I would suggest to find a way to gain awareness about yourself. Meditation, keeping a diary analyzing your memories of your past undestanding the reasons for your behaviour and the life choices you have made

Yes thanks. I do try to do that.

Old 14-05-2019, 08:51 AM
Master
Quote:
Do you know anything about psychology? To a psychologist the ego is very different to a 'false sense of self'. There is the id, the ego and the superego. I do not know much about it myself. But you must have noticed that the word ego in the west is used differently to how it is used in the east.

I personally don't see a difference between East and West.
You might find this article interesting Honza or maybe not.

https://bigthink.com/big-think-books...d-buddhism-ego
Old 14-05-2019, 09:09 AM
Knower
Quote:
Yes thanks. I do try to do that.

I don't know what is inside you. If you want you can look for the writings of Carl Gustav Jung. He is only famous for being a psychiatrist, but he was studying hindu writings, misticism and symbolism of the ancients. These inspired some of his theories.