Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 09-01-2018, 05:11 PM
Knower

It is enemy because you want to remove unwanted thoughts .thoughts will become enemy when you kick them.but they will become friends when you allow them
Old 09-01-2018, 05:47 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamit
Have you ever asked yourself the question. What is it in you that regards your mind as an enemy? Could it be your mind itself that regards itself as such? Why would it do that? Just what is going on?

The mind is what it is. To consider the mind as the enemy makes no more sense than to consider the physical body as the enemy just because it is limited and sometimes does not function effectively.

Many people on the human journey only know the mind. But there comes a stage where we go within and we begin to realise that we are not the mind. The fact that we can observe thoughts shows that what we are is separate from these thoughts. We then realise that we have very little control of our thinking processes. And so we begin the process of learning to master the mind. This is the stage where we might consider mind as the enemy, because we are struggling to find stillness and the mind resists stillness.

With practice we learn to still the incessant internal mental chatter. Eventually awareness rests in consciousness rather than thought, and we begin to use the mind as a creative tool. And what a wonderful tool it is.

Peace.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:40 PM
Suspended
Ascender

The mind is not an enemy except when it is: http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...=119765&page=2

More seriously - it is exactly as iamthat says. To even posit it is an "enemy" shows how ignorant the Neo-Advaita beliefs you have chosen really are. Sounds like psychological mind games to recruit the unaware at the end of the day..

BT
Old 10-01-2018, 03:49 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomingtree
The mind is not an enemy except when it is: http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...=119765&page=2

More seriously - it is exactly as iamthat says. To even posit it is an "enemy" shows how ignorant the Neo-Advaita beliefs you have chosen really are. Sounds like psychological mind games to recruit the unaware at the end of the day..

BT

Yes these continuing posts are unpleasant. May all please note that it is not I who initiate contact with this person.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:47 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
The mind is what it is. To consider the mind as the enemy makes no more sense than to consider the physical body as the enemy just because it is limited and sometimes does not function effectively.

Many people on the human journey only know the mind. But there comes a stage where we go within and we begin to realise that we are not the mind. The fact that we can observe thoughts shows that what we are is separate from these thoughts. We then realise that we have very little control of our thinking processes. And so we begin the process of learning to master the mind. This is the stage where we might consider mind as the enemy, because we are struggling to find stillness and the mind resists stillness.

With practice we learn to still the incessant internal mental chatter. Eventually awareness rests in consciousness rather than thought, and we begin to use the mind as a creative tool. And what a wonderful tool it is.

Peace.

What is the "we" you refer to that observes thoughts that is suggested is not the mind? The mind is capable of observing itself and what it thinks.

The incessant internal mental chatter may simply be the mind working on discomfort in the organism like a fast computer so is beneficial to the organism.

Ironically some of that chatter may be because the mind has come to believe that it itself is the problem it has to solve by eliminating itself, causing a state of conflict for the mind. A very difficult dilemma for the mind to solve which is why I suggest it solves it very creatively and cleverly, by pretending to be eliminated as the only sensible solution so it can hide but continue to run the show essential for the organisms survival.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:08 AM
Master

[quote=sky123]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamit

That the mind is your enemy.... Don't think it is your enemy, think it is your friend

So the solution would be for the mind not to accept the ideas that led it to believe it is an enemy, namely the opinions encountered in the spiritual search that, with great historical tradition and authority, say it is. Not easy for the mind to do that if it wants to use those authorities to end the search but at the same time has to eliminate itself.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:24 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEN34
I don't think it is an enemy per se, but I think since the ego was developed all that time ago to protect us, most of us live exclusively from that (ego), which is mind-identity based, thus know no different, which is second nature to them.

One who is awakened can obviously see the difference between operating from your awareness/higher self by being the observer to your thoughts, whereas one who isn't awake is locked in on developing and living from what they think.

I.e. I only had a conversation with my sister the other week about this. She isn't spiritual, and we don't talk about it, but she mentioned something about worrying and being in the past or future and that she doesn't worry.

I asked her ''When you're washing up, for example, write down the first five things that come into your mind, and you'll be pleasantly surprised that you too are consistently living in thought - mulling over something that happened yesterday, or further back, or thinking about what is happening tomorrow or next week. So you may not be shaking like a leaf with anxiety, but this tells a story of how we are so lost in thought''.

She looked at me as if she'd just seen a ghost as something clicked.

If we're as present as possible we operate from an intelligence that allows everything to unfold for us, IMO. So you get intuitive guidance and ideas, thoughts etc, that serve a purpose, but this happens when you're in alignment.

If I wasn't trying to be as present as possible and was operating from mind (ego), well, we all know that I would be thinking about past, future, what I should have done, what I didn't do, what is going to happen, what didn't happen and why - just a constant loop of being in a mind prison.

All just my opinion, but good topic to raise

You accept that we have mind, and awareness which you also call "Higher self", and see a difference between the two. What is that difference as you see it?
Old 10-01-2018, 08:09 AM
Master
Is the mind something that can be classed as an enemy or a friend?

Wouldn't it be like suggesting awareness is my enemy lol ..

x daz x
Old 10-01-2018, 08:22 AM
Master
We say mind, but we mean mental states, conditions and activities, and of course there are delusions and hyperactive/reactive mindsets that are 'the enemy', but are not an enemy one fights perse, but an enemy one recognises and leaves with no one for it to fight.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:49 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
We say mind, but we mean mental states, conditions and activities, and of course there are delusions and hyperactive/reactive mindsets that are 'the enemy', but are not an enemy one fights perse, but an enemy one recognises and leaves with no one for it to fight.

I am wondering whom is to blame for a thought that is thought?

To have negative thought/s and to entertain negative mindsets could be seen as counterproductive or as an enemy, butt where does the thought come from?

They say one should keep their enemies close .. perhaps it's a pointer that reflects the real issue in such cases when there is the suggestion made that there is something other than self to blame ..

I wonder if the Mcdonalds commercial is one's enemy

x daz x