Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 19-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Wisa'ka

Popular Misconceptions

Having read through a good several threads here on this ‘Native American’ spirituality section, I am puzzled by some of the content. First let me state it is not my intention to trounce anyone’s concept of the spirituality along with the cultures of various tribal groups, but I find some of this rather fanciful.

Before the European conquest of what is now North America this continent was inhabited by people of many different diverse cultures, spiritual beliefs and languages that contained numerous dialects. Although they both spoke the Siouan language, A Catawba of let’s say the early 18th century would have difficulties understanding a Hunkpapa Lakota, the same would hold true concerning an Algonquian Lenape and an Algonquian Cheyenne of the same time period. Culture and spirituality was just as diverse. Where one tribe would be taking part in a sundance ritual, the other would be taking part in a green corn ceremony. For the most part, where ever they lived and whatever tribe they belong to, these people were/are animists. Geographical locations and the local spirits played a large part in their spirituality.

Sometimes I can’t decide whether to laugh or be offended by the way Indian spirituality and culture have re-imagined by non-Indians, popular culture or sometimes by Indians themselves. To me there is nothing more bizarre than going to a Nottoway or Pamunkey powwow and seeing plains style war bonnets, feather bustles and clothing. I have to ask myself - Did they forget their own culture, or are they living up to someone else’s concept of ‘Native America’ ?

An old friend of mine I’ll call for the sake of privacy ‘Charlie Red Horse’, but really a Yankton Lakota told me over lunch that this was all a re-imagined concept of Indian spirituality and culture that some of what he called ‘new agers’ have taken and ran with as of late. He said it really gained steam following the motion picture called Dances with Wolves. We then talked about the portrayal of a 1860s Lakota band without trade rifles, any trade cloth or iron kettle amongst their belongings since all the northern plains tribes had been trading with the Europeans for well over a hundred years before that movie was suppose to take place.
Old 19-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Wisa'ka

Popular Misconceptions

The Native American Ten Commandments ? I find this somewhat bizarre. Whether it was contrived by an Indian or non-Indian, some of us look at it as a way to incorporate aspects a foreign or re-imagined faith into our own spirituality equal to assuming we all worship a ‘Great Spirit’. Keep in mind there are still a good many of us who have kept our traditional beliefs by not converting to other faiths or incorporating aspects of Christianity into our spirituality. There was a time during the European conquest and following Manifest Destiny when Indian children were taken from their tribes and sent to places that some of us now call reprogramming centers(missions and schools) where these children were forbidden to speak their own languages and made to throw away their traditonal beliefs. Keep in mind all through this conquest there were forced conversions to Christianity under the threat of violence.

Meaning no offense here but I see this re-imagined concept of American Indian culture as a more softer, yet clever assault upon our traditional way of life. Portrayed in this bizarre manner where all of us appear to be of a teepee living, war bonnet wearing fanciful great plains culture complete with sparkly mystical wolf-friends and people who look like they just stepped off the cover of a romance novel or gift shop Tshirt is just what it is, pure fantasy. I am especially questioning of American Indians who push this concept upon others.

Not to blow some people’s concept of who we really are, I have to suggest to those who think of us in such a fanciful way to do a little more research. I’m not speaking this truth to offend, but rather to educate and represent an Indian’s view about ‘Native American’ Spirituality.
Old 19-03-2012, 02:56 PM
As many of us realize here, we were once Native Americans in other lives - allot of us know that there is way more than what is portrayed on t-shirts and in the movies.

I have a hard time thinkng of what ''white men'' did here in the US and in Hawaii - re-programming the native inhabitants and many other horrible things ---forget what ''they'' did to our African brothers and sisters.

My respect for the Native Americans is a respect for my own
vision of a life spent as a Native Am. here.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 19-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Master

I think the first brush I got with this diversity was when I read that the dreamcatcher is not an all encompassing concept, yet some tribes sell it now in their shops even if they have no traditional background for such.
Old 19-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Wisa'ka

Greetings Miss Hepburn, thank you for your reply.

"allot of us know that there is way more than what is portrayed on t-shirts and in the movies"

Ahhh, and a lot of us appreciate that knowledge that a lot of you have.
Old 19-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Wisa'ka

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWarrior
I think the first brush I got with this diversity was when I read that the dreamcatcher is not an all encompassing concept, yet some tribes sell it now in their shops even if they have no traditional background for such.

Especially the ones made in China adorned with chicken feathers.
Old 20-03-2012, 05:32 PM
RiversLady

LOL, a lot of us don't buy it no matter how colorful the package is. Plastic shamans worry themselves about just that - plastic. Amex, etc. Real Shamans might charge if that is their only way to survive. But they will still do all they can even if those asking cannot pay much. They take in payment what is offered such as eatables, house cleaning/yard work, or child care. Plastic shamans tell you what you want to hear, not what is good for you to hear. Sometimes the problem is the answer or lesson. A Shaman isn't afraid to step on your toes if it does you some good.
Old 20-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Wisa'ka

The medicine person acts out of obligation for the tribe and in some groups, he or she would lend a hand in other endeavors such as hunting or farming.

I think it pretty much offends the spirits when someone is out to turn a buck off of them or stumbles into their world without a clue or very selfish intentions, therefore returning and misrepresenting them for one's own personal material gain.

Bad Medicine
Old 21-03-2012, 09:19 AM
PEACE

Hi my guide has advised that i do a vision quest or sweat lodge which in the uk is almost impossible and the people who do do them charge an amazing amount of money tooooo much.Whats frustrating is that what he said feels right with me but here people use the new age thing as a way to make money and not to connectxxxx
Old 21-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Wisa'ka

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEACE
Hi my guide has advised that i do a vision quest or sweat lodge which in the uk is almost impossible and the people who do do them charge an amazing amount of money tooooo much.Whats frustrating is that what he said feels right with me but here people use the new age thing as a way to make money and not to connectxxxx

Greetings PEACE.

Indian medicine people do not believe it is ethical to charge money for any ceremony or teaching. Any who charge you do not have your best interest in mind.

Sincere Indian medicine people believe the only acceptable way to transmit traditional teachings is orally and in person.

Think about how it makes it more difficult for Indians and non-Indians to get along when non-Indians have been given an untrue picture of Indian culture and spirituality. We have to learn to get along and that cannot be accomplished as long as people give support to charlatans who push a fraudulent version of Indian spirituality.