Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 12-07-2016, 06:52 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmNemo
Pride is like a medicine.
Taken in very small doses it will make you feel better when you not feeling well.
Taken in larger doses it will make you sick or kill you.
And someone who is well needs none at all.

I like this answer.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:03 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
What is the spiritual significance of Pride? It holds an important role in the Old Testament, it is considered the cardinal sin by the Christians, the East suspiciously avoids mentioning it (correct me if I'm mistaken) or ropes it in with ego and thus underestimates it.

How do you understand it? To me it is a BIG issue. It lies at the crux of spiritual reality. I will wait till I hear what you have to say before I say more.

Everything we notice in the whole unfolding of you feeling/relating moves you into a greater view continuously of how you feel and move in life. So for me, even as all those descriptions in feeling something, without judgement and with conscious awareness of what I am feeling and its changing nature in me, I am open to what is, this then serves me to know I am not what I think. But my thinking shows me what I am holding onto. From there, when all the descriptions drop away and you feel content being you, you just be you. Learning other things like compassion, being humble and not taking yourself too seriously, understanding its not always about you and also honouring others in all this too, seems to build a deeper more open state of being ok in feeling whatever you feel. Joy for no reason seems the natural creative spirit of being for me. The tales around it all are not as important to me now as the joy of just being and doing what I love. Once you stop attaching to how you feel and calling it things, you learn to flow more freely and descriptions start to fade away and joy of being seems to take over. I call it joy, I suppose it is more open and unattached and just being.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 12-07-2016, 11:03 PM
Seeker
Pride is extremely useful and beneficial, even if it can be misused. Without pride there would be no sense of accomplishment, it would strip us of feeling proud for doing good deeds. We would then not have encouragement to do more good deeds. It also helps us strive for greater achievements.
Old 21-08-2016, 06:01 PM
Deactivated Account
My ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
What is the spiritual significance of Pride? It holds an important role in the Old Testament, it is considered the cardinal sin by the Christians, the East suspiciously avoids mentioning it (correct me if I'm mistaken) or ropes it in with ego and thus underestimates it.

How do you understand it? To me it is a BIG issue. It lies at the crux of spiritual reality. I will wait till I hear what you have to say before I say more.
I once had a Christian teacher or guru who said my greatest weakness was Pride and then showed me my Pride, a small, dark, unhappy, childlike being within me that I took to be my nasty, little, unhappy EGO. Pride seemed so sad and hurt that I wanted to go down to him/it and comfort it but the Christian sage said, "Don't go down there with him, stay up here with us." (Him and his other Christian followers) It was so much nicer up there with them so I turned my back on Pride to stay up there where it was so wonderful and happy. Later, Pride became extremely angry and hurt but I didn't realize at the time that Pride would not simply leave or die, as the Christian said it would, and then many years later, I finally had to enter therapy to deal with Pride (the ego) and HELP it overcome it's unbelievably intense RAGE and PAIN! I guess that Christian guy never realized that Pride cannot simply be KILLED or IGNORED.
I can't say that I've mastered Pride or fixed anything but I sure feel better these days after working with and helping Pride rather than ignoring or expecting it to DIE. If Pride represents all the unhealed, emotional wounds and anger from my rotten past, working with it has helped me way more than trying to stay up there with the enlightened ones, in the clouds, while ignoring my very damaged Pride down there. Psychology, more than spirituality, showed me that unhealed wounds cannot and should not simply be ignored or denied like much of spirituality teaches folks. Pride can and will kick us in the *** if we stupidly believe we can just IGNORE IT!
IMO, everything in creation, including Pride, matters and had a significant place. I suppose the key is to understand things rather than assume stuff, like Pride, is bad, evil, unnecessary and EXPENDABLE. It must be here for a reason, otherwise, it wouldn't be here! That's my take on Pride - for now.
Old 23-08-2016, 09:49 AM
Master
Well said jimrich. Interesting post.

Old 24-08-2016, 11:35 PM
Knower

The quote that underlies the notion sinful pride is Prov.16:18 "Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall". As I understand it, the idea is that pridefulness, i.e. thing more of oneself than justifiable, which is another way of saying egocentrically, stands in opposition to the virtue of humility. Pride, therefore, prevents the believer from entering into communion with God.

Historically, the Seven Deadly Sins originated as a gloss on Galatians 5:19-21 by John Casssian in the 4th century c.e., at a time when early Christianity was defining itself. I think Cassian was adding to the development of a new doctrine in the wake of the separation of the Christian sect from Rabbinical liturgy and the establishment of Christianity as the new state religion of Rome by Theodosius I.

So the importance of Pride as a sin is the result of centuries of discourse by theologians and church leaders. Its up to the individual to decide whether the accept the doctrine or to explore for one's self how it effects one's own relationship with God.
Old 25-08-2016, 04:30 PM
Master
Another interesting post. Thanks Earth Healer.

Old 25-08-2016, 05:21 PM
Master
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Pride*is a two-faced*emotion, on the one hand it can be noble and good, and on the other it can be selfish and mean. It depends on how you use it It is not a sin to have emotions, it's the way we relate and use them that causes problems.
Sin=Miss the mark...

I like that definition. I relate the 'bad' pride when it's accompanied by an arrogant attitude about something. Good or what I'd call 'quiet' pride is simple elation and joy.