Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 29-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Guide

Cultus Deorum...

Hi guys!

I've taken an interest on and off about pre-Christian religion(s) of Rome. Cultus Deorum I think it's called. I have a basic understanding of each God and Goddess, esp. the Dii Consentes. I understand it's origins as a "spirit" religion, based on nature and spirits of the ancestors, and its mixture with Etruscan and Greek religious beliefs and practice, but I'm actually more geared towards the transitional Republican-Imperial period of religion in Rome, the practices, etc.

I guess between my love(or unhealthy obsession some would say ) for Roman history and culture, and my family's oral stories which talk about our Roman origins, and a special affinity to the Gods, it's something I've wanted to take on, but haven't taken the initiative to do so. I don't know if I want to participate in any, liturgy, or rites, I guess is the better word, but I do know I want to at least learn it's history, and in depth. Anything good like books, websites, etc. would be marvelous

And please, if I'm misguided on something, don't be afraid to show me differently
Old 29-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Animus27

My interest is mostly concerned with Hellenic religion; so I am not an expert on Roman by any means...

I haven't heard of the Cultus Deorum, but the part you said about "spirit religion" sparked my memory of Numinism, which I THINK is a spiritual philosophy born from several Roman philosophers (Might be wrong though).

I do know that the modern Reconstruction of Roman religion is called Religio Romana. I am not too familiar with it though besides a vague outline of it.

Here's some websites that look decent (but remember that independent research is a priceless thing):

http://www.religioromana.net/about.htm

http://www.ecauldron.net/reconroman.php (btw this site is invaluable for info on all kinds of pagan religion)

http://www.novaroma.org/religio_romana/

I can't help much more sadly. My advice would to be what worked for me - read, read, read and talk to people about, whether online or in person.

Good luck, I hope I've VAGUELY helped!
Old 29-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Guide

Thanks, will def. look into it :)

Anyone know anything about the book "Introduction to Roman Religion" by John Scheid. I hear it's a good book. Wonder what other's thoughts are?