Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 27-09-2017, 11:54 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesRealMeditation
I've been searching the Buddhist forums online and besides being very inactive, there also is a great abundance of study and "daily living" type content, with next to nothing about meditative practice, despite Buddha's frequent and deliberate emphasis on it.

Can somebody explain? I've been away from the interwebs for some years now.

I think we get all sorts of things being called 'meditation', which are dissimilar and somtimes contradict each other. Then there's popular notions such as 'find what works for you', where 'works' could be defined by any arbitrary indicator. So it is said 'it depends on what you want to achieve', and anything else that avoids speaking about what it is.

The problem I see with that is, knowing 'how to meditatate' relies on knowing 'what meditation is', so rather than telling people 'how', which reduces them to mere obedience, the discourse should lend toward the subject itself: 'What'.

It's easy for anyone to say 'do such and such an exercise' - breath thus, mantra thus, visualise thus etc - but broach the subject of meditation without any 'how' forces the subject itself: 'what'.

That usually puts the cat in the coop, though, as all the peoples special Gods, treasured methods and revered traditions become irrelevant to the subject of meditation as universal principle.
Old 28-09-2017, 12:54 AM
Master
Maybe just go and find out for yourself. It is from those traditions that all the teachings arise from.

Learn from the source. Learn from people who have a phd. in dharma. I'm not kidding on that. Learn from people who dedicate their life to the teachings and practices.

You will notice a quicker change in the quality of life from a clear path and lineage than trying to do things on your own.
Old 28-09-2017, 06:07 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
Maybe just go and find out for yourself. It is from those traditions that all the teachings arise from.

Learn from the source. Learn from people who have a phd. in dharma. I'm not kidding on that. Learn from people who dedicate their life to the teachings and practices.

You will notice a quicker change in the quality of life from a clear path and lineage than trying to do things on your own.

I wonder did our prehistoric ancestors have a phd in dharma
Meditation has evolved into a structured practice which isn't always necessary but works for some, it is a natural state of mind and can be tapped into in daily life anytime, anywhere, without lineage.
Old 28-09-2017, 02:48 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
I wonder did our prehistoric ancestors have a phd in dharma
Meditation has evolved into a structured practice which isn't always necessary but works for some, it is a natural state of mind and can be tapped into in daily life anytime, anywhere, without lineage.

Meditation is just one form of practice within Buddhism.

To learn more and not be stuck thinking you learned mindfulness and are done... Go talk to people who know what they are doing.

Such comments really shows a lack of understanding or trying to present a falsehood.

As someone who teaches QiQong one would know that QiQong has practices that one advances too. It is not just one set of forms but forms that build on other practices.

The same with Buddhism.. not a hard concept.
Old 28-09-2017, 03:04 PM
Master
Quote:
Meditation is just one form of practice within Buddhism.

To learn more and not be stuck thinking you learned mindfulness and are done... Go talk to people who know what they are doing.

Such comments really shows a lack of understand or trying to present a falsehood.

As someone who teaches QiQong one would know that QiQong has practices that one advances too. It is not just one set of forms but forms that build on other practices.

The same with Buddhism.. not a hard concept.

I was refering to Meditation which existed before Buddhism

Which falsehoods please ?????

It actually depends on the tradition of Qigong you practise, there are thousand of different types so not all forms have anywhere to advance to, you get to where you are.
Hope this help.
Old 28-09-2017, 03:21 PM
Master
Quote:
I was refering to Meditation which existed before Buddhism

Which falsehoods please ?????

Sky, the back and forth is worthless.

Why mention meditation is universal and no need of a tradition or lineage?

Were you saying meditation is all they teach.. done, nothing more to learn?

What was really the intent of your post? Was it to provide a deeper understanding of Buddhism and it's practices? To help provide some guidance to find deeper teachings?

Doesn't look like it but maybe you can tell me.
Old 28-09-2017, 03:46 PM
Master
Quote:
Sky, the back and forth is worthless.

Why mention meditation is universal and no need of a tradition or lineage?

Were you saying meditation is all they teach.. done, nothing more to learn?

What was really the intent of your post? Was it to provide a deeper understanding of Buddhism and it's practices? To help provide some guidance to find deeper teachings?

Doesn't look like it but maybe you can tell me.

Which falsehoods please ???????
Old 28-09-2017, 03:53 PM
Master
Quote:
Which falsehoods please ???????

You can make your points and allow others to make theirs, can't you?

Old 28-09-2017, 03:58 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
You can make your points and allow others to make theirs, can't you?

Of course but I would like to know what I posted regarding meditation which he thinks are falsehoods....
Old 28-09-2017, 04:18 PM
Master
Quote:
Of course but I would like to know what I posted regarding meditation which he thinks are falsehoods....

I think what he wanted to do is express concern that oversimplified answers/responses can present unintended inaccuracies about the practices in Buddhism.