Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > General

Old 14-12-2010, 05:46 AM
Scibat

Can't Sleep, Any Ideas?

Not sure where else to put this.

Basically most nights, I can't sleep. Eventually after a few days I will conk out, due to exhaustion then the cycle will start up again. I suffer from neuropathy and my feet are restless and sometimes even hurt at night but that only seems to be the catalyst because I used to be able to sleep through that.

There is nothing medically that can be done, there are medicines for the neuropathy pain but they've been tried and don't work on me. And my doctor already has me on Ambien (a sleeping pill), which doesn't work on me really either. In fact I took one about an hour before making this post and am wide awake. Did I mention I am also highly resistant to drugs? I don't touch anything with caffeine at night, and very little intake of the stuff otherwise.

Pretty much I am at my wits end, any advice on something to try would be greatly appreciated.
Old 14-12-2010, 06:08 AM
Master
Getting good sleep can be tricky business for lots of people, self included. The latest help for me is meditation, or a very rudimentary form of it. I like to call it a 'studied relaxing'. I don't even work that hard at it, because that would be defeating the whole purpose of it. Taking deep breaths, in a relaxed manner, not purposefully...I used to take melatonin and it worked pretty well. I also took otc stuff that had valerian in it or st johns wort and other things that were natural to help sleep. My ex has the neuropathy, but I don't. (He developed diabetes before I did.) You may be one of the people that caffeine actually does the opposite. Are there any commonly heard things that sound 'good' to you, like they might work? Some people say have tea or milk and crackers or a piece of bread, in other words, a snack of something with carbs. For me, timing my eating right is helpful. If I eat too much too late, that messes me up. I eat a normal to light meal at typical evening meal, about 6-ish. Then just water. Massaging one's self, neck, arms, or having someone do it for you would be helpful. Taking a nice bath, not too warm or cold with bubbles is relaxing. Dressing in stuff that doesn't make you too warm or too cold is important.

Old 14-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Scibat

Ugh, I have to find something. Still awake and its now 5:35 am here. Maybe I'll try to force myself to reset by staying awake now, and just conking out at a reasonable hour this evening. I wouldn't mind the no sleep thing so much, if not for the generally bleh feeling it gives my whole body.
Old 14-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Light21

Melatonin works well for me also. Do you watch TV an hour before bed? If so dont. Stay off electronics one hour before bed spend that time reading or meditating. Also start a work out program if you dont have one already. Exercise helps. But dont do it in the evenings.
Old 14-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Master
I agree, Light21. I have slowly but surely started cutting out TV altogether, and am almost there. (I will always have time for Simpsons, and Bones and a few others, but only when I'm not doing anything else, which is rarely.)

Try meditating, Scibat! Practice makes (almost) perfect!
{hugzes}

Old 15-12-2010, 12:08 AM
Racer X

This is common and tough at first.....

1)You need to get physical exercise and mental exercise without overdoing either.
-If your body does not move enough it will not tire out.
-If your mind does not exercise enough it will be active at night as well.

2) Too much heavy food(meats, sugars, refined foods) late at night will interfere as well too.

3) Herbs will help restore balance: Chamomile, Catmint, Lemon Balm, Passion Flower, Scullcap, Feverfew, Valerian Root, St. Johns Wort
*** if taking prescriptions, clear with your doctor AND pharmacist first.

4) A balanced diet high in vegetables and fruits is needed by the body to produce normal hormone levels and balanced bodily functions.

5) Melatonin 3-5MG hour before sleeping or trying to sleep.
This is a hormone which is naturally made by the body to induce sleep, you are lacking in it. It is made by a conversion of serotonin to melatonin, so you likely are low in serotonin too.

6) Too much mental stimulation will keep you up as well. Too much excitement, too much drama, too much TV, too much thinking or too much worry all keep the neurons firing.
Daily meditation practice too replace other stimulating activities will help correct this.
Old 15-12-2010, 12:28 AM
Master
A little lavendar oil on the pillow can help one relax. Cinnamon in warm milk as well. A trick I use sometimes is that while I'm lying down I will concentrate on relaxing each body part individually, from my head down. By the time I reach my hips, I'm usually asleep.

Old 15-12-2010, 04:35 AM
Master
I'm sure there are dvd's for yoga at nightime to help you sleep. I have one and I can't remember the name right now but it relaxes me. Are you anxious?
Spiritlite.
Old 15-12-2010, 04:39 AM
mahakali

count from 1 to ten over and over making sure to push all other thoughts from your head, it will be hard you will find that you will forget to keep counting and go with your thoughts but just start over from 10 to one and 1 to ten alternating.
Old 15-12-2010, 05:02 AM
Scibat

As always you guys come through with some great ideas, going to try a massive combo of:
  • Some light excercise.
  • Warm milk w/ Cinnamon.
  • A bath (Have some Dr. Bronners lavender soap).
  • Counting from 1-10 over and over.
Still working on meditating, will probably move to that once I get where I can manage it.