Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 12-06-2019, 04:55 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker

ā€œ I often feel like I find great beauty and meaning in the darker and sad side of the life experience ā€œ @ ketzer

In your own life as experienced as pain or in the lives of others?

In both my life, and the lives of others. I see the pain and feel bad, but I often see the beauty and feel moved. Somehow, if feels like it is all ok, meant to be how it is.

Quote:
Iā€™d have thought that everyone wishes to embrace, imbibe, assimilate and radiate bubbling joy immersed in unending bliss in a boundless surging expansion of consciousness in permanence.
That is what I would think too. Yet I am certainly not alone in seeing the beauty in what is otherwise sad and dark. Perhaps that is one of the things that is necessary to get to that unending bliss, IDK?
Old 12-06-2019, 05:05 PM
Master

Darkness is one of the antidotes to sensory overload. Any of the antidotes to sensory overload compel us to journey within. It serves as a seedbed for introspection and is beneficial because of that.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:09 PM
Master

ketzer ...

Like as in pain pushing us to shift the fulcrum of our consciousness by accepting adversity, then transcending it?

Old 12-06-2019, 05:25 PM
ketzer

Quote:

ketzer ...

Like as in pain pushing us to shift the fulcrum of our consciousness by accepting adversity, then transcending it?

Certainly at a personal level I can see that in play in my life. Mostly of course in hindsight and from a safe distance in time. Yet it is there all through the story of human history as well. Even in some of the most horrific periods, there is an undercurrent of purpose, meaning, and beauty. Moments of perspective when it seems like judging any of it is folly for my limited mind to attempt. That there is a greater consciousness and purpose at work that is playing out a symphony that I can somewhat appreciate the beauty of, but never fully comprehend.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:46 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketzer
I often feel like I find great beauty and meaning in the darker and sad side of the life experience.

Sad music, sad or tragic stories (fiction, nonfiction, history), dark poetry, dark art, and other sad/dark things I can't think of at the moment. Of course, it is not just dark things, I appreciate the happier joyful side of art, history, life, etc. just as much (I mean I am not goth ). But I am often drawn to those darker aspects of the human experience and they in some way make me feel good instead of sad.

I am also aware that many people are not, and would rather steer clear of the darker and sad side of life. Often they almost think something is wrong with those who appreciate those sad and dark moments.

I am curious as to how others on this forum line up. Do you find you derive beauty and meaning from the darker aspects of life and are often drawn in (maybe even comforted) by them, or do they just bring you down and would prefer to avoid them when that is possible?

Any reflections on why we are one way or the other?

I think the dark stuff is raw and real and truthful. I'm not talking evil. I'm talking humanity at it's hardest and lowest points. Yes, I can see the beauty in it. A piece of music, one of the saddest I've heard, but it's beautiful, Adagio for Strings - Samuel Barber:

For you M.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izQsgE0L450
Old 12-06-2019, 07:35 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
[color="Navy"]

That's your call to call it ''more authentic''. Doesn't mean that it is.

Correct, my words and point of view is totally meaningless. And should be.

Quote:
[color="Navy"]

As a fantasy enthusiast I've come across people thinking blood and violence, grey and black colours are all more ''authentic'' and ''mature''.

Depends on context i suppose. But even in fantasy i enjoy it more. I'm more a horror, thriller movie type of guy. Though i'm speaking more about art that expresses the darker or sexual sides of ourselves and the world around us. That part of our world and life that many keep suppressed, hidden. And its not just the images itself, but the feelings expressed behind it.

Quote:
[color="Navy"]

They're a bit silly if you ask me..

Oh, i'm definitely more than a bit silly. Just in a different way.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:54 PM
Master
Quote:
I often feel like I find great beauty and meaning in the darker and sad side of the life experience.

Sad music, sad or tragic stories (fiction, nonfiction, history), dark poetry, dark art, and other sad/dark things I can't think of at the moment. Of course, it is not just dark things, I appreciate the happier joyful side of art, history, life, etc. just as much (I mean I am not goth ). But I am often drawn to those darker aspects of the human experience and they in some way make me feel good instead of sad.

I am also aware that many people are not, and would rather steer clear of the darker and sad side of life. Often they almost think something is wrong with those who appreciate those sad and dark moments.

I am curious as to how others on this forum line up. Do you find you derive beauty and meaning from the darker aspects of life and are often drawn in (maybe even comforted) by them, or do they just bring you down and would prefer to avoid them when that is possible?

Any reflections on why we are one way or the other?

Oh yes.

Love nothing more thsn writing songs, poetry, relating about the whole kit and caboodle. I know through personal experience of facing fully my own shadow aspects, the clarity, love and joyful being that arises through all that, shows me how this allows me now to create through the whole of myself. It’s like travelling the streams freely, as a creator, born from everything I have been, have become..

Where we relate is often where our focus is at any given time. If you understand the completeness within all sides of your being, then one doesn’t require sides, seperation or division, but simply aware and moving with it all. You can create from any where you are in it all.

I know some people in my world will only focus on happy, happy thoughts, staying out of pain and suffering ones. I do feel in these observations it is a way to not add fuel to ignite their hold. It’s a way to end suffering. Walking through the whole has shown me, that there are abundant gifts in facing fully the shadow more as a whole body integration. There is much freedom in this way of creating and being in the world.
Old 13-06-2019, 12:07 AM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineBloggs
I think the dark stuff is raw and real and truthful. I'm not talking evil. I'm talking humanity at it's hardest and lowest points. Yes, I can see the beauty in it. A piece of music, one of the saddest I've heard, but it's beautiful, Adagio for Strings - Samuel Barber:

For you M.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izQsgE0L450
Adagio is one of my favorites.

Another the comes to mind is Ashokan Farewell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZmxZThb084

They used it as a backdrop to a letter from the American Civil War in a PBS series, I thought it made a perfect backdrop. Very sad, very moving, and very beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY1lmeL22jg
Old 13-06-2019, 07:10 PM
Master
Quote:
Adagio is one of my favorites.

Another the comes to mind is Ashokan Farewell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZmxZThb084

They used it as a backdrop to a letter from the American Civil War in a PBS series, I thought it made a perfect backdrop. Very sad, very moving, and very beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY1lmeL22jg

I liked that one. I didn't find it sad though.
Old 14-06-2019, 03:38 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Darkness is one of the antidotes to sensory overload. Any of the antidotes to sensory overload compel us to journey within. It serves as a seedbed for introspection and is beneficial because of that.

Thank you for this thought Molearner. I agree. Sensory overload is the new bane to our existence. Darkness can be tragic and sad, but not always. Sometimes it is a balm to the soul .

Side note: I am familiar with the Samuel Barber Adagio for Strings, but every time I hear that Ashokan Farewell piece it blows me away.. something about the ‘lonesome fiddle’ just breaks my heart in a good way..