Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Past Lives & Reincarnation

Old 28-06-2015, 04:11 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntfruit
Do you think we have similar traits in each life?

Flaws and talents?

What do you think? or is just a lottery?
I think character traits are one of the best preserved things in existence.
Old 28-06-2015, 05:37 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrao

Have you considered how malleable they are? As an example, my personality traits now are entirely different from what they were 10 years ago as a young adult. It seems our traits are simply our behavior patterns, which are generally developed over time and largely determined by belief and circumstance. A change in belief and circumstance can easily change aspects of one's personality. I have seen this exhibited in myself and those around me countless times.
Old 28-06-2015, 09:02 PM
Master
hi

Quote:

i thng so 2 i had dog yrs go nw iv a cat bth lft pawd bth stand simlr way bth get on way

i dream dreams all dreams
🌟🌟🌙🌙☔☔🌆🌆🌁😈😎😒💋💑💑💑💌🍨🍩🍔🌟🌟🌟✴🍩🍔
Old 28-06-2015, 10:30 PM
Deactivated Account
In my opinion, it's best to think about this question by focusing on the various virtues... Capacity/capability for love, compassion, empathy, forgiveness, selflessness, honesty/integrity, humility, kindness, generosity, acceptance, etc. I feel THAT is what will be preserved, whereas there are traits/characteristics that we sometimes exhibit or identify with which are moreso a product of this individual lifetime and the influence that the physical world had upon us, and those aren't likely to be preserved.
Old 28-06-2015, 10:43 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze
In my opinion, it's best to think about this question by focusing on the various virtues... Capacity/capability for love, compassion, empathy, forgiveness, selflessness, honesty/integrity, humility, kindness, generosity, acceptance, etc. I feel THAT is what will be preserved, whereas there are traits/characteristics that we sometimes exhibit or identify with which are moreso a product of this individual lifetime and the influence that the physical world had upon us, and those aren't likely to be preserved.

All of those virtues are related in one way or another to any other personal characteristic that can be adopted, and are likewise developed or lost to the extent that one's beliefs, circumstances, thoughts, actions, intentions, etc influence them, give rise to them, or lead to the elimination of them. In other words, the virtues you have listed are no more "preserved" than anything else.
Old 28-06-2015, 10:45 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceField
Have you considered how malleable they are? As an example, my personality traits now are entirely different from what they were 10 years ago as a young adult. It seems our traits are simply our behavior patterns, which are generally developed over time and largely determined by belief and circumstance. A change in belief and circumstance can easily change aspects of one's personality. I have seen this exhibited in myself and those around me countless times.
I've read in a commentary on the Yoga Sutras from Patanjali that the way you really are is expressed best when circumstances are perfect.
I agree with this statement very much.
Especially when you are in a new incarnation and not so aware about behaviour yet.
I agree that one surely can work on one's behaviour too, and thus work slowly on attaining the ultimate (whatever).
But this goes very slow. Hence my statement about preservation of character traits.
One's overall behaviour is seen in the overall characteristic of one's face, in my opinion.
And the face cannot be changed overnight.
Old 28-06-2015, 10:52 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream jo
i thng so 2 i had dog yrs go nw iv a cat bth lft pawd bth stand simlr way bth get on way
Animals have character traits too.
I believe animals eventually become humanbeings.
In a certain way, all Life has character traits, in my view.
Old 28-06-2015, 11:04 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceField
All of those virtues are related in one way or another to any other personal characteristic that can be adopted, and are likewise developed or lost to the extent that one's beliefs, circumstances, thoughts, actions, intentions, etc influence them, give rise to them, or lead to the elimination of them. In other words, the virtues you have listed are no more "preserved" than anything else.

I'm sorry but I don't share your perspective that virtues can be 'eliminated'... To me they are not transitory qualities....
Old 28-06-2015, 11:05 PM
Master
Quote:
I've read in a commentary on the Yoga Sutras from Patanjali that the way you really are is expressed best when circumstances are perfect.
I agree with this statement very much.
Especially when you are in a new incarnation and not so aware about behaviour yet.
I agree that one surely can work on one's behaviour too, and thus work slowly on attaining the ultimate (whatever).
But this goes very slow. Hence my statement about preservation of character traits.
One's overall behaviour is seen in the overall characteristic of one's face, in my opinion.
And the face cannot be changed overnight.

Right, it takes time to change one's habitual mental patterns and behaviors, but they are certainly not permanent. It just seemed like your statement that they are the best preserved things in existence was a bit of a stretch, as they can clearly be shaped and change by intention, and also simply by the course of nature. It would probably take me days to finish writing up a list of things that are more preserved than character traits.
Old 28-06-2015, 11:07 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze
I'm sorry but I don't share your perspective that virtues can be 'eliminated'... To me they are not transitory qualities....

A virtue is simply a behavior that demonstrates a high moral value. Being a virtuous person is simply consistently demonstrating these virtuous behaviors. Are you saying that a person's behavior cannot be changed?