Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Acupuncture & Acupressure

Old 12-04-2017, 03:49 PM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean
It's nearly a week later and something is shifting now (skin looking brighter) but I'm still exhausted. She wanted me to come in for weekly treatments (which I got the sense was more about her financial situation than my health) so yeah... I think I might cool the jets on acupuncture for a while

Yeah, I would hold off on going again for a while. It sounds as though you haven't recovered yet from the previous one.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:10 PM
Pathfinder
Hi Patricia,

Yeah, I did some research and discovered that for people who are highly sensitive we need to ask for "light" or "half" treatments. A lot of therapists dont know about this and usually someone who's highly sensitive wont present as such (I dont... people always think I'm really confident, ha!) But a highly sensitive person will react the way I did to what would be a normal treatment for another person. So, not the acupuncurists fault as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi
Ocean....ask her directly why she thinks you need weekly sessions. Listen to what she says. Then tell her exactly that your body/energy system needs to progress at a slower pace, and that you feel that instinctively.

Hi Toby,

She said at the time that people need weekly treatments in order to make a difference. She mentioned commitment...

I have a personal gripe about this cos' as a healer and a yoga teacher I've learned that you cant put a timeline on someone's personal development. It disregards the other person's intuition... we change at our own pace.

Anyway, I messaged the acupuncturist to say that I needed to cancel teh next treatment because I still felt exhausted and that the treatment was too strong for me. I told her that I asked around and I probably need light or half treatments in the future. She replied and said it was impossible that the acutpunture made me tired for more than a day, and that I was tired in gneral and needed more acupuncture

Her response was exactly the confirmation I needed that she wasnt the right therpaist for me.
Old 13-04-2017, 04:04 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean
She said at the time that people need weekly treatments in order to make a difference. She mentioned commitment...

I have a personal gripe about this cos' as a healer and a yoga teacher I've learned that you cant put a timeline on someone's personal development. It disregards the other person's intuition... we change at our own pace.

This is a really intelligent observation, and something I continuously get better at: letting it happen in the pace I am ready for, because more and more it is evident that me trying to push myself into a place where I feel better is not working at all.
Old 13-04-2017, 04:19 PM
Guide
Apologies, I may have missed it in your original post referring to yourself as a highly sensitive person. I am also a highly sensitive person.

It maybe that acupuncture is too strong for you in itself. I know that I would need to be the strongest I can be to tolerate it.

Have you tried cranio sacral therapy? I don't know what you're going for but that is such a gentle therapy and I am very attuned to it. With being highly sensitive I can feel the energy going around my body, which is unusual as the two therapists I've seen, say most people don't report feeling anything in the actual session, they just feel better within the next few days. But I can feel the energy going around my body and every little shift. It's fascinating. But I've never come out of a session feeling like I need days to recover. And it's always made me feel better.

It maybe that this suits your constitution better than acupuncture?
Old 14-04-2017, 08:48 PM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melahin
This is a really intelligent observation, and something I continuously get better at: letting it happen in the pace I am ready for, because more and more it is evident that me trying to push myself into a place where I feel better is not working at all.

Thank you :)

I mostly learned it from my private Yoga students... I noticed that we would reach a point where our lessons together had plateaued... They werent progressing, and I wasnt feeling it. Usually within two more lessons they would discontinue the classes.

I learned that point arose because the student had gone as far as they could go in that moment, and they needed to integrate the teachings.

The problem is that teachers and healers arent taught to tune into the natural progression of students because they're trying to make a living.

I had to dig into myself and realise that making this work be about the money sullied it. I'm not saying that we should work for free - I don't, but I understand now that if it's about the healer / teacher valuing themselves or making a living, then it stops being about the healing proces of the other person. Sure, you're still doing the work, but the intention is making a living.

So now, I tell my students / clients at the outset that I trust intuition, and that if either of us feel we need to stop, we release each other.

The money always comes from somewhere else :)
Old 14-04-2017, 08:53 PM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrycia-Rose
Apologies, I may have missed it in your original post referring to yourself as a highly sensitive person. I am also a highly sensitive person.

It maybe that acupuncture is too strong for you in itself. I know that I would need to be the strongest I can be to tolerate it.

Have you tried cranio sacral therapy? I don't know what you're going for but that is such a gentle therapy and I am very attuned to it. With being highly sensitive I can feel the energy going around my body, which is unusual as the two therapists I've seen, say most people don't report feeling anything in the actual session, they just feel better within the next few days. But I can feel the energy going around my body and every little shift. It's fascinating. But I've never come out of a session feeling like I need days to recover. And it's always made me feel better.

It maybe that this suits your constitution better than acupuncture?

Thanks Patrycia-Rose!

I think you could be right about how strong acupunture is. I do Ayahausca ceremonies (have to take small doses) and usually they leave me floored for a few days afterwards, and take two weeks to integrate. I thought I could handle acupuncture But yeah, this treatment has taken more than a week now to integrate. Saying that, amazing things have happened in this week. I transformed my flat (in accordance with teh pinciples of feng shui!), and today my heart opened :) I know that this experience was very much of benefit, even if I'm still feeling fragile. I just wasnt prepared to be laid up after an acu treatment... Aya I can understand!

I had cranio-sacral therapy a few times but it wasn't for me. I'm actually seeing a healer at the moment, and a deep tissue masseuse, so maybe I should leave it at that instead of bombarding myself with healing
Old 15-04-2017, 07:31 AM
Guide
Totally understand what you're saying.

I completely understand the need / drive to heal oneself - however, in my experience (CST aside) I'm at pains to emphasise to practitioners just how sensitive I am, including giving them examples - but it's like they either ignore you or just don't get it and I'm still floored by whatever it is they've given me. And then you get the "oh, I've never heard of anyone reacting like that before!" Then I lose confidence in them.

I've more or less given up on trying to be healed by outside practitioners. I've become very skilled at EFT, which has been a life saver and just recently as part of a spiritual awakening I seemed to have developed a healing ability where I can move energy around my body - so I'm seeing where that takes me. If my healing is in my own hands - that suits me just fine.

A medium once told me I was like a butterfly flitting from one practitioner to another and I'd exhausted myself in the process, without gaining any benefit. He said that with me "less is more" and my body was tired, thinking "what's she going to do next?"

Maybe you could look into healing you could do for yourself - maybe that's the way forward for you too. For example, when you've taken the situation into your own hands, like with the Feng Shui, you've had positive experience / results!
Old 15-04-2017, 09:53 AM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrycia-Rose
Totally understand what you're saying.

I completely understand the need / drive to heal oneself - however, in my experience (CST aside) I'm at pains to emphasise to practitioners just how sensitive I am, including giving them examples - but it's like they either ignore you or just don't get it and I'm still floored by whatever it is they've given me. And then you get the "oh, I've never heard of anyone reacting like that before!" Then I lose confidence in them.

I've more or less given up on trying to be healed by outside practitioners. I've become very skilled at EFT, which has been a life saver and just recently as part of a spiritual awakening I seemed to have developed a healing ability where I can move energy around my body - so I'm seeing where that takes me. If my healing is in my own hands - that suits me just fine.

A medium once told me I was like a butterfly flitting from one practitioner to another and I'd exhausted myself in the process, without gaining any benefit. He said that with me "less is more" and my body was tired, thinking "what's she going to do next?"

Maybe you could look into healing you could do for yourself - maybe that's the way forward for you too. For example, when you've taken the situation into your own hands, like with the Feng Shui, you've had positive experience / results!

I totally agree...

Actually, one of my friends (who is a shaman) put it to me exactly like that - ultimately the only person who can heal us is us.

I do believe that other people offer us the support that we need, but ultimately only we know exactly what we need in order to heal.

I also move energy around my body :) I've been doing energy work for a long time, but recently discovered Taoism and the knowledge of the energy body is SO much more detailed than the Tantric chakra system. It's been really helpful.

And yeah, I feel you on practictioners not understanding how sensitive we are. They tend to think that we're hypocondraics, or attached to our suffering in some way. I used to drink with a shaman who insitisted that we always have two doses of the medicine, and she would administer the dose. The last time I drank with her I went incredibly deep from the first dose and I got a really strong message from my intuition that I literally should only take a thimble-full for my second drink. I had to tell the shaman exactly how much to administer and she didnt like it.

There's so much ego tied up in healing methodologies, and I'm really saying that as an observation, not a judgement. It just makes genuine healing very diffcult. I practice as an energy healer and without a doubt, the best results come when I guide and support the other person to heal themselves, rather than trying to be in control.
Old 15-04-2017, 10:32 AM
Guide
It's taken me many years to come to the realisation that I know me better than all of these practitioners. I have subjected myself to some pretty awful experiences; two in particular stand out. The first was a homeopathic remedy which caused me to feel dizzy and light-headed. When I told the practitioner about it, he said it couldn't possibly be the remedy and told me I had high blood pressure and suggested I go to the doctors. That stressed me out and made me angry. My blood pressure is on the low side so I know it wasn't the case. I stopped the remedy and the dizziness stopped.

Second case was a shaman (will never go near that again) he got £400 out of me for a few hours of 'soul retrieval' or something similar. It took me months to recover from that and looking back that was something I should not have done.

So I'm very wary of healing methods. I have to have a good feeling about the practitioner. For instance I've had acupuncture from a western perspective and the needles hurt so much going in it made me cry! But I've had eastern acupuncture with someone who came from the spiritual angle and that worked really well.

The only thing I really trust is CST.

The other thing that I've thought for years is that if we're sensitive people, there MUST be something out there which suits our sensitivity. I've tried tuning forks, which have yielded some good results but nothing major. One of the things I absolutely adore is aura soma equilibrium bottles and pomanders. I really get on with those well.
Old 15-04-2017, 11:16 AM
Pathfinder
Ah, bless you! <3 It's fantastic that you realise how sensitive you are - I think that makes it so much easier to discern who is the right helper for you. Cos yeah, frankly not all healers are going to be able to heal us.

I use Yoga but have to take it slowly with that... I used to have a daily practice but now it;s far too much for me. I only practice 3 times a week now... which isnt much for a teacher! But I mediate and do energy work on myself every day for about an hour. It's a life saver. I also love working with scents - I use essnetial oils.

How did it go with the poly vagal theory?