Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Acupuncture & Acupressure

Old 30-04-2015, 01:23 AM
mcoprevog

Advice for an aspiring acupuncturist

I want to be an acupuncturist, but I'm worried about a couple of things. First, is that I read a forums thread where all these people were talking about their experience with nerve damage because of acupuncture. I'm in Anatomy and Physiology II right now (actually just finishing) and I'm close to getting my Associate's Degree in Health Care, so I've been learning about the nervous system, and nerves are everywhere and very fragile! I'm sure acupuncture isn't just a hit or miss game of roulette with the nerves. How do acupuncturists avoid the nerves? Is it just a matter of knowing exact Exact EXACT!!! locations of everything? Is it a matter of how deep you insert the needle? Is it easy enough for a professional to gauge the difference in an obese person as opposed to an average or thin sized person. I'm confident in my abilities to learn all that I need to know and keep up to date and practiced on it as well, but I don't want to dedicate all the time (and money and work) that's needed to something if eventually, I'll hit that 0.1%(hypothetical) chance of ruining someone. Is there a way for acupuncturists to know for certain that if they take certain precautions that it won't ever happen to one of their clients? Or are they all just waiting on the day, and they back themselves up with a liability waiver?

Secondarily, is it hard to get started and get clients? Does school help you get in the door? Is the pay bad at first? Does no one want to go to an inexperienced acupuncturist? Is getting a Bachelor's in Acupressure a good way to start, or is it bad to spread out too much? What would be a better Bachelor's Degree choice if not that?... yeah things along those lines. Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 02-05-2015, 08:31 AM
Master
mcoprevog Acupuncture is not a hit or miss. this system of medicine has been developing for over 2000 years some say 5000 years. if you study acupuncture through a nationally recognised accredited college of traditional chinese medicine usually a degree. then you will learn where, why, how and what to needle. i am a second year student of TCM and i treat people now. you learn things like correct depth of needling for every acupuncture point, where there located, if there are any contraindications which there are for some points. you learn about people's constitutions and the difference between many body shapes and sizes and how you will treat everyone as a individual. you will study about qi blood and body fluids and how acupuncture effects these substances in the body. you will discover how to differentiate your diagnosis for each individual. you will gain confidence in your techniques and treating abilities and you will know when to treat and what to treat with a variety of amazing techniques. you will understand the meaning of der Qi which is a sensation the patient experiences when you get qi to the point which is a dull sometimes traveling feeling similar to a nerve feeling but its not. Acupuncture does not needle nerves only when people are not correctly trained or they have done a weekend course in it like so many western doctors physio's etc. you will not have to study acupressure as Acupuncture is far more sophisticated and superior to acupressure. acupuncture is not about inserting needles although this is part of it diagnosing through tongue and the 12 pulses and signs and symptoms and the color of the face and the way the patient walks and holds themselves etc.
any college that offers a degree is the only way to go. i don't know what country you live in but here in australia you can not get registered without a degree. i know acupuncturists who earn $3000 a day i know acupuncturist that earn $3000 a week and i know acupuncturists that don't care about money at all. its about what you want to do with the knowledge you gain. if you want to truly help people then a Bachelor's Degree is a requirement in Acupuncture.
I sincerely Hope this has answered some of your questions. I am not a member of this forum but my wife is and has asked me to help you with your enquiries
Peace Love Laughter
Paul