Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Crystals & Gemstones

Old 12-10-2012, 06:36 AM
Likes2Read

Stones: Natural? Dyed? Modified?

I've seen some discussion recently, both here and on another crystals forum, about natural vs. human-altered stones. Some people maintain that they prefer to use stones that are unmodified in any way. Others are entirely at ease using stones that have been sculpted, heat-treated, dyed, and so on. This might well be a topic that is worth touching on, just to get everyone thinking about what they like best and, perhaps, to expand all our perspectives a bit.

I normally prefer stones that are their natural color, rather than dyed or treated. But if I were to encounter a stone that resonates with me, I'm going to look into getting it and using it no matter if it's been altered or not.

After all, I have got tumbled stones and spheres, two things that don't normally occur in nature. (Well, tumbled stones might, in the presence of running water, but most tumbled stones available for purchase are tumbled by humans.) I have beads that have been shaped and drilled, both of which are conditions that don't occur in nature. Our lovely faceted gems that we use in jewelry have all been reshaped by human hands, as well. So it's reasonable to state that most, if not all, of us are no strangers to benefiting from the energies of human-altered stones.

So for me, the primary rule of thumb is always, "Does this stone resonate with me?" If it does, then I am going to be able to work with it.

Incidentally, honest dealers of beads and stones will list, right there in the catalog, whether a bead has been dyed, heat-treated, etc. to enhance its color. They will also differentiate between things like imitation versions of a stone, such as "Imitation Turquoise made from dyed Howlite", so the purchaser knows precisely what they are paying for.

So, where do you stand on all this? Do you approach the issue from the standpoint that a crystal is a crystal is a crystal, regardless of whether it's in raw form or modified in some way? Or do you prefer your stones to be in the same state that they were when they were taken from the ground?
Old 12-10-2012, 07:28 AM
Master
The chemical composition of stones can play a huge role on the nature of the stone. So while some man-mades made be considered dead and absolutely useless, some times man can actually enchance the powers of the stone or even alter it's powers so it is good for more than naturally it would be. For example certain quartz is treated with iron, or another mineral which will alter it's color. A lot of these are known as Aura Quartz and from what I have read it gives them different properties Quartz would not possess otherwise. So I would have to say it's give and take. Some will be considered dead and offer no potential, while others could offer more potential than they do when formed completely naturally.
Old 18-01-2013, 03:49 AM
mom

I have looked in my minds eye on these issues and have seen that reconstituted stones do still work or have energies that can help you- however very weak in comparisson to one that is not. As for died stones, i personally feel (from what ive seen when i look on these issues) is that the proecess used to do so reall hinders the stones energies from being able to help or work for you. Wether it completely just wipes the energy out or if the process just causes some type of wall that prevents a connection, i dont know. But if purchasing stones for spiritual help or to work with their energies i would stay clear of dyed stones and only purchase reconstituted if another is not available to you. Aside from those issues i prefer beads, as i prefer to wear bracelets. I am not much of a jewelry person so that is what works best for me. I have connected well with beads (not raw chips those are uncomfortable for me) and have seen them working in my life.
Old 18-01-2013, 02:39 PM
Experiencer
I like your attitude on this matter, However.. one doesn't make the stone his or hers.. it's upto the stone/crystal to deside.. but one can encourage ths tones to invoke itself on you or yours if properly coached. Rituals like the rebirthing, reawaking or simple cleansing can awaken the stone to your needs and enigeries.. Also some stones just will not come around and becoem intune with the user or the users rituals.. In this case one may need to have the stone/crystal rebirthed (reawaken) thus assuming a new life.. some tiems after this ritual/s the stone may undoubtedly break. Over barring the brunt of its past life or past damages done to it by others users or extremes.
Old 18-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Pathfinder

I feel that a crystal is a crystal, whether dyed, heat treated, shaped, etc. If it's altered in some way, I feel as if it takes on whatever the metaphysical properties of the altered color/shape is, in addition to it's regular properties. Sort of the way combination stones take on the properties of both types of crystals. If I'm drawn to an altered stone, then I probably need the added boost!
Old 21-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2Read
So, where do you stand on all this? Do you approach the issue from the standpoint that a crystal is a crystal is a crystal, regardless of whether it's in raw form or modified in some way? Or do you prefer your stones to be in the same state that they were when they were taken from the ground?

I prefer my stones and crystals in their most natural form as much as possible. I've bought crystal necklaces online to discover later the crystal was drilled into rather than the crystal being wrapped around the cords to keep it's all natural goodness. To me, when crystals are drilled I feel as if they are hurting in some way. :/ So now I avoid human-altered stones/crystals as much as possible. I've always felt "off" buying human-altered stones and crystals. They don't resonate with me as strongly as when I find a stone/crystal in nature.
Old 24-01-2013, 06:25 AM
Knower
I like the idea of natural stones. The fact that they have come straight from the earth into my hands really appeals to me. But like you said, if I connect with a crystal wether it be raw or tumbled, I connected with it and that's all that matters.

I have both natural and tumbled stones and I love them all.