Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 20-03-2017, 06:24 PM
Newbie ;)

Vipassana Meditation

I completed a 10 day Vipassana course about 4 months ago. It was a life changing experience. It's get harder to keep up the practice once you get back to society and lots of external stimuli.

Any body ever do Vipassana and have any advice to keep up with the practice, or any meditation practice in general?

Much Love to y'all,

Anand
Old 20-03-2017, 10:21 PM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingswamy
...It's get harder to keep up the practice once you get back to society and lots of external stimuli.

Any body ever do Vipassana and have any advice to keep up with the practice, or any meditation practice in general?
Don't get back to society and keep away from 'external stimuli'.
Old 21-03-2017, 05:02 AM
Newbie ;)

Thanks for replying back, but I have to get back to society my friend. I have work, bills and people to support.
Old 22-03-2017, 07:07 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Thanks for replying back, but I have to get back to society my friend. I have work, bills and people to support.
That may be evidence that these meditations have been deviced by monks for monks.
Old 21-03-2017, 07:46 AM
Master
Quote:
I completed a 10 day Vipassana course about 4 months ago. It was a life changing experience. It's get harder to keep up the practice once you get back to society and lots of external stimuli.

Much Love to y'all,

Anand

I've done a lot of the vipassana meditation style and spent extended periods residing and serving at ashrams. It's hard to take the lessons of a retreat and put them in your normal life, but one does have to takes care of their responsibilities - so this is basically about priorities. More important things get done, and it is the less important things that get left off - so give it priority, and something less important can slide.

We usually find that because a meditation practice helps with a general clarity of mind, making one more efficient, we seem to be able to accomplish more in a given day. We find that rather than needing to let anything slide, there seems to be time for everything anyway, and more. Of course getting up an hour earlier than before is always a good idea so one gets their meditation in first off in any day. This early bird sesh makes the rest of the day a bit better as well. The late sesh is a bit more difficult, so you'll probably have to declare a 'meditation time' so that others know to leave you to it. The late sesh is great as it quietens you down somewhat after the business of the day, which is great for home life.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:56 PM
Newbie ;)

Thanks for your reply. I will make it a point to make sure I do it in the morning!
Old 21-03-2017, 11:24 AM
Master
What Gem said. Its about making it as much a part of your life as the morning coffee. If you can get to the point when you sit down to atrt meditating you feel the same sense of relief as you do after work and you turn the tv on and put your feet up...your getting there.
Old 22-03-2017, 07:34 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyzen
What Gem said. Its about making it as much a part of your life as the morning coffee. If you can get to the point when you sit down to atrt meditating you feel the same sense of relief as you do after work and you turn the tv on and put your feet up...your getting there.

The saying I like is one I took from the film "Peaceful Warrior": "I practice everything".
Old 22-03-2017, 11:36 PM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
The saying I like is one I took from the film "Peaceful Warrior": "I practice everything".
Hmh ... the warrior may turn out to be an idiot. But peaceful nevertheless.
Old 23-03-2017, 04:45 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground
Hmh ... the warrior may turn out to be an idiot. But peaceful nevertheless.

Hypothetically, we may assume that, but for what purpose?