Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 31-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyTerra
I'ld say it is fairly self-explanitory. What part confuses you--(perhaps I can help)?
What led you to the conclusion that volvas and seidr-folk went about dispensing "karmic justice" in the name of Freyja? And what makes you think the Old Norse peoples believed in karma as we understand it?
Old 02-04-2012, 04:29 AM
LadyTerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
What led you to the conclusion that volvas and seidr-folk went about dispensing "karmic justice" in the name of Freyja? And what makes you think the Old Norse peoples believed in karma as we understand it?

My beliefs are based on my own personal research and experience and (as I respect and honor your right to form your own opinions) they are not up for debate.

Peace and Love on the path of your choice...

Blessed be...
Old 02-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyTerra
My beliefs are based on my own personal research and experience and (as I respect and honor your right to form your own opinions) they are not up for debate.

Blessed be...
Forgive me. The way you spoke of it was as if it was factual, and not personal belief. Thanks anyway though.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:24 PM
LadyTerra

Greetings Animus27:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
Forgive me. The way you spoke of it was as if it was factual, and not personal belief. Thanks anyway though.

Thank you.

The word "Volva" is Swedish in origin--meaning (MareWoman).

The Woman's Magick governed by the Goddess Freyja is refered to as Seidr.

The Valkyries and those practicing Seidr are believed to possess the Gift of Shapeshifting and one of the forms often taken was that of a Mare.

They and the Disir are associated with the title of FuneraryPriestess--caring for the Souls (particularly of fallen Warriors--Women included) and guiding them to their destination--whether it be Freyja's Valhalla, or the Underworld presided over by the Goddess Hel.

They were not the Priestesses of good-fortune (alone)--but worked in association w/ the Nourns to deliver (I used the phrase KarmicJustice--which more might relate to) the Wyrd--which is roughly translated as Fate.

In my Tradition what is sent comes back--positive acts times 3 and negative acts times 10. We believe that it is quite possible for entire bloodlines to be cursed with the Wyrd (as it pertains to families)--even if all they did was look the other way and permit an atrocity to take place.

The Priestesses were Warriors (as well) and frequently wore armor adorned w/ the feathers of Ravens--which is another of the forms They were able to assume.

Peace and Love on your path to discovering the Mysteries...

Blessed be...
Old 02-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Master

Speaking as a Norwegian....

A volva is someone who can see the future. A Mare is a dream visitor.

That the Valkyries are shapeshifters is news to me, but I won't discount it.

Seidr was practiced by both men and women. Mostly women though.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:02 PM
LadyTerra

Greetings WhiteWarrior:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWarrior
Speaking as a Norwegian....

A volva is someone who can see the future. A Mare is a dream visitor.

That the Valkyries are shapeshifters is news to me, but I won't discount it.

Seidr was practiced by both men and women. Mostly women though.

We are in agreement.

Men did practice Seidr and still do.

However--the thread was pertaining to the Volva and so that is where I placed my focus.

The Volva was sung into a trance--the songs being more closely associated w/ a rhythmic chanting--which employed the AncientPoetry (spellcasting--perhaps )--while in the trance it was thought that the Volva was able to communicate w/ those beyond the Veil. She would receive her guidance and omens from them and pass them on--frequently with advice and how to proceed--if at all possible.

I believe this Magick still exists (today) and has been passed down through the bloodlines--although diluted--when tapped into it is still just as powerful and awesome. I am decended from them and the Magick that I perform is reflective, instinctive, and sometimes frightening to others--which is why I have always practiced as a Solitary.

Apart from the trance, caring for departed Souls, Shapeshifting, and the deliverance of the Wyrd--They performed Religious duties (in general) that could be seen as kindred to Shamanism. HealingMagick is a great Gift of the Goddess and another that has been passed down to me.

Blessed be...