Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 10-04-2016, 01:50 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
So, how does that sound...?

I have been reading around in different threads and there seems to be a
a recurring 'issue'.
Hard to stop thoughts
Distracted
Lack of success, whatever.

NOW, what if you tossed that entire word and at the beginning... you 'sat'.
That's all...comfortably sat, still, quietly for a certain amount of time?
And them, threw out all concepts of mindlessness, mindfulness, emptiness and samadhi?

So let's say for a month you sat in the darkness and stillness of being undisturbed...to enjoy thought.

Thought about wondrous things...thinking 'a movie scene' for 30 minutes.

About....love...$$...travel...a new baby...happiness in everything...confidence and freedom....

What does that mean? You have enjoyed yourself, changed your chemistry,
relaxed every system in your body...and MADE A NEW GROOVE in your brain...of Joy!

One month...then let's talk about this 'emptying'...and a
successful meditation...hahahha!

Thats exactly what I did When I started out, just sat and constantly released any unease in my posture, then move on to the next unease in my body, and allowed what ever in my mind to arise, I did this for at least two or three hours a night....what I learned from just doing that alone was the conservation of energy or the gathering of that energy.
just sitting and releasing the existing blocked energy in my system first helped me greatly, it also taught me how thoughts wether it's from a past or future experience affected the body.....boy I never really knew how much I need to sit until I did
Old 10-04-2016, 04:43 PM
Zendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo
And when the negative thoughts inevitably intrude, MissH, how do you personally handle that?

It's not the thoughts that are the problem, it's your thoughts about the thoughts!
Old 10-04-2016, 09:48 PM
Mmm...we have some talk here about thoughts.
Ok, we have just thoughts, then we have negative thoughts,
then we many thoughts, right?

So let's talk about thoughts...I will repeat things I've said before, I'm sure, bear with me.

Thoughts in themselves are not bad, first. But like birds flying over head, you have the power to not let one make a nest in your hair.
You must know this.
You are captain of your ship...you hold the rudder
in your hands.
If you think you are some victim of all these unwanted thoughts, we
have to change that!
Also, don't take these thoughts so seriously...they are just thoughts.
(What is the issue is the icky emotions that can be stirred up by the thought...right?)
Thoughts can be lovely or icky...so start thinking lovely, wonderful thoughts ...that is, 'If you must think'

There is mention of using a phrase or mantra to still the mind...my opinion...
'Good luck with that." Lol!!! Oh, if you could hear me...
But I digress, as usual. Lol.

What mantra...what phrase could possibly be stronger than The Mind?
Tell me and I will pass it on.
And Hindus, don't take offense...you tell me what mantra you can
say that continues when you answer the phone.
Mantras can lull the Mind ...they are not 'bad'...but you can not
use a finite thing to reach the Infinite.
This is very imp to understand.

You must capture the Mind's attention with your heart.

So now, a thought comes in ..."I want ice cream".
You suddenly feel desire and temptation...
"I can't believe I said that in 6th grade, what an idiot I was!!"
You become filled with embarrassment ... icky feeling overwhelms your abdomen and chest.

Ok...you have GOT to understand the enemy...the devil, the ego-mind...or
the lower ego self...it is it's job to keep you away from Truth, Happiness, Connection with the Center of Who You Are...your
Higher Self.

This ego mind has many many tricks in it's Toolbox for humans.
(ref CS Lewis)
It uses jealousy, lust, anger, worry, indignation, self-righteousness, procrastination
and pride...oh, and the almighty guilt...to keep you away from GOD...your Source...the Creator of
the Universe that dwells within every dust particle in every sunbeam around the world.
It will even create an itch on your shoulder.

You must know the enemy...very important.
This way you can laugh at it...talk to it...and trick it at it's own game.

So, what is more powerful than the thought of ice cream...
what is more powerful that the thought of a shameful moment
as you are trying to find stillness?

Why do you not hear someone call your name as you are absorbed in your hobby...because the Mind is captivated... by what?
Something you love.

Do you love distraction, bad emotions from memories, temptations for sugary foods when you are sitting in meditation...no.

SO, focus on something you love...inside that little pea brain we have.

For starters.

I must end here for a little bit.
Hi Zendo and redstone. Thank you.
Sorry if I missed someone on another page. Thank you, also.
Meditators are my favorite people.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 11-04-2016, 07:17 PM
Master
Dramatization of an actual meditation experience

welcome to my inner chatroom

Uma's mind: No concepts - just be
Uma's stomach: gurgle gurgle, me want a Coke
Uma's low back: can't we just lie on the floor?
Uma's mind: shut up everybody
Uma's stomach: me want a cookie
Uma's mouth: Ooooooooom....aaaaaaaaaaaaooooooooooouuuuuuuuummmm mmmmmaaaaa
Uma's mind: not feeling it! not feeling it! not feeling it!
Uma's lower back: PAIN!! red alert! cushion NOW!
Uma's right cheek: I'm so itchy
Uma's mind: we can get through this
Uma's dog: woof! woof! woof!
Uma's mind: no no no
Uma's stomach: gurgle
Uma's back: I'm going to explode!
Uma's heart: I want my mommy!
Uma's mind: follow the breath, follow the breath
Uma's stomach: (*belch*) that feels better
Uma's mind: why has my dog has gone quiet?
Uma's back: C/R/A/C/K!!!
Old 11-04-2016, 08:05 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uma
welcome to my inner chatroom

Uma's mind: No concepts - just be
Uma's stomach: gurgle gurgle, me want a Coke
Uma's low back: can't we just lie on the floor?
Uma's mind: shut up everybody
Uma's stomach: me want a cookie
Uma's mouth: Ooooooooom....aaaaaaaaaaaaooooooooooouuuuuuuuummmm mmmmmaaaaa
Uma's mind: not feeling it! not feeling it! not feeling it!
Uma's lower back: PAIN!! red alert! cushion NOW!
Uma's mind: we can get through this
Uma's dog: woof! woof! woof!
Uma's mind: no no no
Uma's stomach: gurgle
Uma's back: I'm going to explode!
Uma's heart: I want my mommy!
Uma's mind: follow the breath, follow the breath
Uma's stomach: (*belch*) that feels better
Uma's mind: why has my dog has gone quiet?
Uma's back: C/R/A/C/K!!!
Omg this had me cracking up with laughter and it's so true!! This is basically what happens when I try hahaha.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:21 PM
Now....girls, settle down...let's place all of those silly distractions aside
...put them in a jar and drop them off a bridge....never to be thought of again...and take the gum out of your mouths.

This is a good point to speak on....we have thoughts..we have distractions...we
have negative feelings, we have done bad things that come to mind....
all sorts of things meant to take us away from our Goal.

Sooooo, let's learn how to handle them.
#1 we must drop them ...picture placing a ball down, turning around and walking away from it....leave it.
#2 we must decide what we want...and then go for it.
#3 Let nothing stop us.

You must find what it is you want first.
Do you want simple peace of mind? Ok
Do you want to burn in love 24/7 in God Awareness? Ok

Decide and do it.
Place the needle in the groove at the beginning of the record even a 100 xs a day....gently.

I'm here to help...not be liked...I hope, tho, I wasn't too bossy..because I am bossy.

Incidentally, sometimes it has been in the 3rd hour of meditation that God comes to me....
What was happening the first 2?
I was VERY happy, hmm, sigh...I call it indulging...I indulge in everything pleasant...a thought of
yesterday...a thought of a plan...a thought of an encounter...and then no thought ...just experiencing
the love that fills my body when I breath in...a thought of a beautiful place...it doesn't
matter, the entire time that I sit ...I have a smile on my face.
(I know, I have meditated over 4 decades...had an Indian guru, lived in ashrams for years)...but,
you must decide only pleasant, yummy thoughts
...ie, IF you feel you must think.

If I can be a reminder of this...very good.

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 12-04-2016, 10:05 PM
Newbie ;)

@misshepburn... Sounds to me like you don't get on with Mantra's...

How comes ?

Mantra's are a very good and well known way taught around the world of learning meditation.

The common misconception of Meditation is "No Mind" or "Blank Canvas"

This is mentally & physically impossible to achieve. At first!

The heart beats, the lungs breathe, the mind thinks...

It is their sole purpose in life to do those things.

A mantra gives the mind something to think about.
You can wander off in thought, but you have a constant something to go back to. Never bully the mind into not thinking. It is designed to think, so let it think, but let it think on something simple that is ingrained into many lifetimes of practices and connected with higher being, sound vibrations and love.

After many years of practice, you will find that you are able to click into that mode of thinking/not thinking. You find that you have an understanding of knowing, knowing that feeling of what it is you have created through knowing and feeling that mantra.

There are many ways to give the mind something to do.
Choose one and stick with it.

Then in that space you be.

Love Won Peace x
Old 13-04-2016, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharita
@misshepburn... Sounds to me like you don't get on with Mantras...
How comes ?

Mantras are a very good and well known way taught around the world
of learning meditation.
Yes, mantras, prayer beads, fasting, austerities, chastity, service...all sorts of things are taught around the world for centuries.
Mantras are good for calming the mind...placing it onto 'something'...
could even be the flame of a candle or a dot in a circle...or a mandala...maybe the face of your guru.
All can center the mind, yes.

Meditation truly is perfect concentration on a perfect thing.
A mantra is temporary, finite...it 'ends'...thus, is not the perfect thing.

There are other schools of thought...even concentration on your own passing thoughts, Mindfulness, I believe.
All are paths to a Goal...agreed?
And all paths do lead to the Goal...so I've heard.

However, you have the stairs, and then, you have an escalator with drinks being served...
a funny way to describe taking the best or faster route to your Goal.

Now, if a person wants a little peace of mind...a mantra can be great.

But, if one would like God-realization...try all the mantras, all the faces of gurus you would like to focus the Mind on....
Then, try focusing on That Which has no end and no beginning...this is what I mean by a finite thing cannot take you to the Infinite...
they can offer wonderful experiences...I am not belittling their usefulness.

Now, with research one can find out ...Well, what IS this Infinite Thing the ego Mind can focus on that takes you
across the bridge from the finite world directly to God?

I love when people question what I'm saying, you have to, they shouldn't believe me...
they can wonder about what I am saying and maybe they will try for themselves to discover:What was here before I was born ...
What was here at the beginning...what is the power hidden in the apple seed?

These are things much more subtle than saying a mantra that simply ends
when the phone rings...'Something' is always there, always.
Find 'That Thing' and focus on It.
This is my advice and certainly does not have to be taken...but,
I can tell you...
I would do it no other way...but my Goal has been
God...only God, always God...I have peace of mind, I have actually everything...more and more immersion into God...
eternally is my particular focus.
And, so far so good!!

I hope I explained my view for you.
Mantras= fine....other things=better.
My opinion, my 2 cents.

In a pm I could try to direct you to finding other things to concentrate on that do not end.
To start...Kriya Yoga as taught by Paramahansa Yogananda is very good.

Old 13-04-2016, 09:01 PM
Newbie ;)

I understand what you are saying, but I would disagree saying that a mantra ends. A mantra can be endless if you want it to be.

We have 3 minds, a left, a right and a centre. From my personal experience a mantra focus's that point of consciousness that we all know and experience at every waking moment. That internal monologue, the voice inside.

Through the repetition of a single thought process using that voice in our heads, that is consciousness, but consciousness all around. We are able to get an understanding of what it is our mind is thinking of.

Yes thoughts come and thoughts go, but if you stay with the Mantra regardless of the other thoughts you become to realize that we are able to computate multiple things in the mind at the same time.

After spending a long time with a Mantra I was able to pin point that exact point of consciousness and have control over it. I was able to move that point of thought from left hemisphere which is very tactile in the here and now, to right hemisphere which feels a lot like anxiety/depersonalization headspace (which is actually very interesting, you can do things that your mind knows you can do, but you might not want to do, but you can still do it, very well infact) and centre which was the middle of the 2.

For 6 months I was sychronicity....

Take Om. If you say it as a singular OM then it is short and swift.

But you could say it like: Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooo....... etc and never get to the end.

I think you get what I mean.

I hope I didn't miss the point you were trying to put across.

Personally I have found Mantra's to be very great tools for highlighting amazing thoughtfulness and really very helpful in my transition to a higher plain and 3rd eye abilities.

It's not just the use of Mantra, but also visualization, mindfulness, walking, sitting, breathing, dancing, life. It's all a Mantra, in essence, it's just how we choose to utilize it.

The universe is always willing to listen if we are willing to ask.
If we are mindful of what we ask for then we receive what it is we have been asking for. It is easy to have a mind full of things we are not aware of and not have the understanding of what it is that we create/magnetize towards us. It is just the universe answering the thoughts of the mind.

Know what it is you want and receive it.

Love Won Peace
Old 13-04-2016, 11:34 PM
You are happy with your practice...good.