Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Art

Old 27-04-2016, 09:29 PM
Newbie ;)

Using Guesso Instead of White Paint

If you are new to acrylics, you may be wondering - what is gesso and why do I need to know about it? Step right up - this page will tell you all about the glories of gesso and how to use it.

Gesso is an important art supply to get your canvas ready for painting which you can apply it to any surface and then you can paint on that surface with acrylic paint. Gesso is made for acrylic paint to bind to it in a way that looks non-plasticky and gives the application dimensionality. If you applied paint directly on the canvas, the finished product has a plasticky look

Gesso is not only a better surface than white paint but also gives some texture to the surface. But what's more important, if you don't use gesso, the canvas will soak the painting and you will spend more paint. Almost all canvas you buy has been primed with gesso but I advice you to put another coat of gesso over it, or two.

Using gesso you can ultimately paint on anything, from canvas to cotton to vinyl, to wood, plastic, rubber - it creates a painting surface for paint to adhere to.

It provides an excellent surface to paint on. It adheres well to most surfaces, and provides a great surface itself, without over-absorbing your medium
Applying guesso will establish a better "working surface", as it forms tiny rough edges for paint to cling to. Also, it's gonna dry a lot faster than oil paint.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:43 AM
Seeker

Shared useful information with all of us. I like this and would love to share it with others. So sure they will like to use and appreciate of this. So buddy keep sharing with all of us.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:58 PM
Newbie ;)

flat wall paint

I do fine with flat wall paint. along with the canvas texture, it has plenty of "tooth" to grab and hold paint. I have the hardware store tint mine to a #3 value of warm sepia for traditional oil on canvas work. I also use a spray gun and compressor and the gritty marble dust in gesso is not kind to my equipment. There is a history behind gesso that explains its coming into use. You can google search it.

When I was a commercial illustrator, I used to coat smooth illustration board with a highly diluted coat of gesso to give the tooth necessary for acrylic washes to flow almost as if it was water color paper.

if you go to ulineart dot com you can see wall paint used in my portrait commissions.